Stony Brook 4/13

Discussion of Men's & Women's Lacrosse.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Lacrosse to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
LILax
UD Class: 1987

Stony Brook 4/13

Post by LILax »

There is an old expression that an injured animal is more dangerous than a healthy one. Well, over the next two weeks the Hens will be facing two teams that are figuratively “injured animals” in Stony Brook and Drexel. Each of these teams had high expectations for this season, but after struggling over the first half, both are fighting for their CAA lives trying to find a way into the top four.

Delaware beat Stony Brook twice last year by three goals in each game. The games were highlighted by UD getting out to pretty good leads through three quarters and then Dylan Pallonetti and Co. making a late run to make things a little less comfortable for the Hens. Stony Brook has had a pretty disappointing season so far with a 4-7 record, losing to Rutgers, Penn State, Air Force, Providence, North Carolina, Monmouth and Towson. However, three of those losses were by just one goal (Air Force, Providence and Towson). They are coming off their second win in the CAA with a pretty convincing victory over Drexel by a score of 13-8 on Long Island last weekend. So they are probably feeling good about themselves as they head into Newark this weekend.

What to expect from Stony Brook
Stony Brook has a pretty good offense scoring 12.27 goals per game and shoot 30% as a team. But what is more impressive, 63% of their goals are assisted. UMBC transfer Nick Dupuis is the quarterback of this efficient offense and has 40 assists through 11 games (3.64 per game), which ranks him #2 behind just Yale’s Matt Brandau. He is a magician with his passes, works primarily from X and seems to always find the open cutter. Dupuis is not fast nor physical, but he is quick and shifty, so I think they’ll try to keep the ball out of his hands as much as they can and avoid getting his defender hung up. Towson was successful holding him to just 3 assists and ZERO shots in their 9-8 win by sending double teams at him at times. They made it a very sloppy game and forced the Seawolves into 19 turnovers. The Hens might put a shorty on Dupuis to ensure they have a pole on Canadian sharpshooter Noah Armitage (17 G) and middie Jack Dougherty (14G) at all times.

It's crazy to talk about the Stony Brook offense and not mention Dylan Pallonetti (38G 9A), who can shoot from anywhere on the field with accuracy (34%) if left unattended. The Hens will need to keep a long pole on the pre-season All-American’s hands from anywhere inside 15 yards, and sometimes beyond. All that said, the Seawolves are the 29th ranked offense – Not great but not bad.

The bigger issue for the Hens will be taking advantage of a decent but not great defense (ranked 38th). Delaware will need to put 12-13 goals past goalie Tommy Wilk who has a .559 save percentage this year. The defense is led by all-CAA LSM Christian Loud who has 12 CT and 32 GBs, Carson Forney, Sean Conk (6’5” 230 lbs), SSDM Ben Morschauser (26GBs 8CTs) and the very physical close defenseman Michael Sabella (15CTs, 22GBs) who I believe will cover JP Ward.

As far as possessions, the Hens could have a slight advantage at FOGO over hot and cold freshman Chris Esposito (46%) who has taken the majority of draws for the Seawolves. As a team they win just over 45% (ranked 58th). Additionally, Stony Brook turns the ball over a bit more than the Hens averaging 15.36 turnovers a game (ranked 23rd) while the Hens lead D1 lacrosse with just 12.5 a game.

If the Hens can win the majority of draws and control the tempo of this game, they could come away with a victory similar to last year’s games. It would be great to see the Hens really open up the offense against the Seawolves, but only three teams have scored more than 13 goals against SB this year (Sacred Heart, Rutgers and Penn State). The Hens looked really good offensively last week with the attack and midfield playing well together. Nobody seemed to be forcing anything. It was great seeing Brendan Powers taking advantage of shortsticks too. He has been terrific all year scoring from X when matched up with a shorty.

A 13-10 win would be a great result for the Hens on Saturday. Actually, any win will be terrific. Can’t wait.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: Stony Brook 4/13

Post by Cluck U »

The playoff game was a lot of fun last year. Hope we have the same result.

10am tailgate for anyone interested. Usually have a UD op-up tent, but I'll have to look at the wind forecast... If not, follow your nose or give me a PM. I was impressed with the number of Stony fans, and their women's team joined the crowd late in the game, but not sure if it will be that crowded this Saturday. Either way, won't be hard to find.

Pulled pork sliders, mac n cheese, dogs and brats on the main menu with other goodies on the side.

HJ...there's even a bottle of Captain. :D
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:03 pm The playoff game was a lot of fun last year. Hope we have the same result.

10am tailgate for anyone interested. Usually have a UD op-up tent, but I'll have to look at the wind forecast... If not, follow your nose or give me a PM. I was impressed with the number of Stony fans, and their women's team joined the crowd late in the game, but not sure if it will be that crowded this Saturday. Either way, won't be hard to find.

Pulled pork sliders, mac n cheese, dogs and brats on the main menu with other goodies on the side.

Having one for the Towson game? Unfortunately, that may be the only one I'm able to attend.
Twitter: @SSN_BlueHens
Feathers and Field Goals Podcast: https://feathersandfieldgoals.podbean.com/
Class of 2023
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

UDHoops wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:50 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:03 pm The playoff game was a lot of fun last year. Hope we have the same result.

Having one for the Towson game? Unfortunately, that may be the only one I'm able to attend.
Sounds as though you just gave me a good reason to have one. :D

Might have to go with a breakfast/brunch menu on that one. Eggs, scrapple sandwiches…game on!
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

LILax
UD Class: 1987

Post by LILax »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:26 pm

Might have to go with a breakfast/brunch menu on that one. Eggs, scrapple sandwiches…game on!
Towson is a Friday evening game. But I like breakfast for Happy Hour too.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Cluck will have scrapple this Saturday??!!
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops »

I’m in!
Twitter: @SSN_BlueHens
Feathers and Field Goals Podcast: https://feathersandfieldgoals.podbean.com/
Class of 2023
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

LILax wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:32 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:26 pm

Towson is a Friday evening game. But I like breakfast for Happy Hour too.
Holy smokes! Forgot about the start time. :oops:

Dang…

OK, still going to have a tailgate for UDHoops for that game. Heck, 7pm start just means a longer tailgate. :D

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

bluehenbillk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:33 pm Cluck will have scrapple this Saturday??!!
If you make it to the game, I will add eggs and scrapple sandwiches to the menu. 👍. I will bring the skillet. Let me know.

By the way, tickets are $15, but I am getting a group rate ($10), so let me know by 11am tomorrow if anyone wants a ticket. PM me.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Looking forward to the game and a Hens win. Loving the prospect of dry conditions.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

77HEN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:28 pm Looking forward to the game and a Hens win. Loving the prospect of dry conditions.
https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/ ... 2024-04-13

No rain…not much sun…very windy.

Winds (sustained) increasing from 18 to 23mph between 9am and towards the end of the game. Gusts much higher. Wind chill in high 40s to low 50s.

We’ll take it versus rain…but c’mon…Sunday says 72 degrees. :lol:

It would be nice to have a couple more home games so that fans could have a better chance at some nice weather.

Snag first place and host the playoffs…woot!

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Post by wacko4flacco »

A good win despite a second half scare by Stony.

The Hens dominated the first half, moved the ball well and picked Stony apart behind their own net.

I am really impressed with the talent Deluca has brought in and despite some miscues the team plays a disciplined attacking style.

There was some let up in the second half but I was impressed by the goalie, who didn't give up any easy goals and the defense.

Stonys best player, Pallonetti was never really a factor and was only allowed distance shots.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Best program in the Ath Dept just won another game against a CAA foe to go 6-0 in the conference. Game (away) against Drexel next Saturday and then the big Friday night match up with Towson follows. Really hope they get the #1 seed for the tourney and the home field designation. Also hope Joe Speers (#44) is ok. We checked but did not see him with the team at the end of the game.

This team needs a good home and needs it now to keep the momentum going for Coach DeLuca and company. What is going on?
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

I give Stony a ton of credit for never giving up. What seemed like an insurmountable lead became three goals with around four minutes left. Let’s forget the whole second half ever happened.
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

CAA confirmed that Towson will host the tournament.
#JUST WIN