News Journal Article 03/20/24

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
hensfan40yrs

Re: News Journal Article Today 03/20/24

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Einstein says ..... 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'
Los Angeles Harballers
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

the reality of most of the postings on our board(remember we are all blue hen fans) is repetitive. This is not a surprising fact since most of us(though not all) hold to our opinions. There are others who simply want attention for numerous reasons. For example-attempting to air their comedic fares, impress others with their vast accomplishments(even I did that in the past) enjoy the thrill of trolling, and sending esoteric insults and daggers at those who hold different opinions. In summary, our board is partly "deja vu" a great deal of the time-again not surprising due to human nature.

Then we have wonderful posts with loads of appropriate , interesting, and valid facts("a thing that is"). Recruiting and the lastest news in sports come to mind immediately and are a a great source for discussion. The dominance of Social Media's sprawl has unfortunately thrown the idea of facts v opinions into turmoil. Thus our modern day dilemma of misinformation and innuendo. Oh well, it is what it is, and we appear to be stuck with this conundrum. Opinions(" a view or judgement formed about something not necessarily based on fact or knowledge") can and do vary on most anything.

Still, for its plusses and minuses, gohens appears to be the single most informative source for us all. I, for one, am pleased we can check it our at our leisure. thanks :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Here's a reality check (chock full of facts):

SDSU
168 yards rushing
32 attempts
5.2 YPC

Stony Brook
251 yards rushing
44 attempts
5.7 YPC

SDSU
222 yards rushing
37 Attempts
6.0 YPC

Montana
203 yards rushing
37 attempts
5.49 YPC

That list doesn't include other embarrassments...it just points out Rojas' consistency in giving up big rushing yardage when facing good teams. Teams literally walk over Rojas' D.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:30 am Here's a reality check (chock full of facts):

SDSU
168 yards rushing
32 attempts
5.2 YPC

Stony Brook
251 yards rushing
44 attempts
5.7 YPC

SDSU
222 yards rushing
37 Attempts
6.0 YPC

Montana
203 yards rushing
37 attempts
5.49 YPC

That list doesn't include other embarrassments...it just points out Rojas' consistency in giving up big rushing yardage when facing good teams. Teams literally walk over Rojas' D.
Great cherry-picking.

As the coaching staff has alluded, you can't run a defense you can't recruit for. Hopefully, that will change now that we have elevated.

It's funny how the head coach seems to be left out of the sage criticism, Ryan seems to have to approve of what Rojas is doing or Rojas would be elsewhere.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
Section J

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:04 am As I said, love it when I am proven correct...
No question you are a legend in your own mind & infinitely smarter than Ryan Carty & Manny Rojas.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Section J wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:38 pm
Cluck U wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:04 am As I said, love it when I am proven correct...
No question you are a legend in your own mind & infinitely smarter than Ryan Carty & Manny Rojas.
infinitely smarter than Ryan Carty & Manny Rojas......... It CAN happen. Ever watch a Chiefs game and wonder why defensive coaches let Travis Kelce run free and dont hit him before he ever gets off the line of scrimmage, possibly disrupting the timing? I have ... I thnk the ones that played and or coached the game have every right to question.
Los Angeles Harballers
Section J

Post by Section J »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:59 pm infinitely smarter than Ryan Carty & Manny Rojas......... It CAN happen.
Not in his case.

Any fan can question anything a coaching staff can do, I don't think you need any pedigree to do so. But for those of us who have coached, we know that nobody from the outside knows all the variables included in making these types of decisions. We, the fanbase, know what it looks like, from the stands, that is all. We aren't in the meeting rooms etc to know the intricacies involved in the decision-making.

Won't matter what type of defense we run until we get some better athletes, Jimmies & Joes, Jimmies & Joes.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Section J wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:35 pm
Cluck U wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:30 am Here's a reality check (chock full of facts):

SDSU
168 yards rushing
32 attempts
5.2 YPC

Stony Brook
251 yards rushing
44 attempts
5.7 YPC

SDSU
222 yards rushing
37 Attempts
6.0 YPC

Montana
203 yards rushing
37 attempts
5.49 YPC

Great cherry-picking.

As the coaching staff has alluded, you can't run a defense you can't recruit for. Hopefully, that will change now that we have elevated.

It's funny how the head coach seems to be left out of the sage criticism, Ryan seems to have to approve of what Rojas is doing or Rojas would be elsewhere.
Cherry picking? :lol:

Reading comprehension issues, again. As mentioned, right up there ^^^^^ there are plenty of other embarrassments…just wanted to point out the consistency that things haven’t changed when we face good teams. We just get pounded. We don’t get dinked by a finesse offenses. Perhaps you aren’t watching the games.

Always an excuse from you. Can’t run a defense you can’t recruit for? :lol: Maybe those D-lineman players look at a coach’s formula and decide this isn’t the place they want to play. nova is right up the road…somehow they get it done a lot better than Rojas.

And…drum roll please…again, this isn’t just me. Chat with the players and some former staff (yeah, those guys actually in the room where the secret sauce gets cooked) and you’ll find a familiar story.

I am correct…again. :D That bothers you for some reason. :lol:
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

those of us who have coached ..... also know when something or someone aint working ....
Los Angeles Harballers
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Great cherry-picking.

Oh…so much to correct…I don’t leave Carty out of the criticism. More reading comprehension issues on your part (or, you aren’t reading and are just making things up).

From DAY ONE, I’ve told GoHens what to expect from Carty’s O. The Swinging Gate…repeated failures on 3rd and 4th and short due to Carty’s refusal to divert from his reliance on trickery…speed versus brawn…and much more. All of those things have continued to be a staple of Carty’s O and are no surprise to anyone who has watched him coach. Lots of O, but disappointing decisions at crucial times.

Funny, I was right about that, too. :lol:

It was Keeler who forced Carty to go bigger and pound the ball more often than Carty wanted. It was Keeler who brought in bigger D players on the line in order to match the very teams that were attacking and beating the high flying offenses that were the staple of Carty and his progenitors.

My mistake, so far, was believing that Carty would quickly recognize his weaknesses and learn from Keeler (and SDSU, NDSU, Montana, etc.) and adapt once he came to UD. Carty saw how it worked…twice…and didn’t work (far more than twice :lol: ). Alas, he has made some strides, but he has been slower to adapt than I’d hoped. Unfortunately, Carty will probably need a few more embarrassments in order to see the light.

One other important thing about Carty…he believes offense beats defense. That is how he is hard wired. That probably explains why he is willing to put up with Rojas…Rojas is a mediocre DC, and Carty thinks that will be good enough for his offense to win (along with not wanting to redo the entire defense in the first couple years as Carty implements his offense).

Most coaches are stubborn, if nothing else. Stuck in their ways and slow to change…and they often don’t see their own problems. The really good ones adapt with the times and are humble enough to admit when they are wrong.

We’ll find out what type of coach Carty really is in the next two years as Carty has to put on his big boy pants as we transition to Big Boy football in 2024/2025.

EDIT: Carty hasn’t been here long. He has made improvements. He IS learning. I believe he will continue to grow and adapt. That is why I am optimistic.

hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:40 am
Great cherry-picking.

Oh…so much to correct…I don’t leave Carty out of the criticism. More reading comprehension issues on your part (or, you aren’t reading and are just making things up).

From DAY ONE, I’ve told GoHens what to expect from Carty’s O. The Swinging Gate…repeated failures on 3rd and 4th and short due to Carty’s refusal to divert from his reliance on trickery…speed versus brawn…and much more. All of those things have continued to be a staple of Carty’s O and are no surprise to anyone who has watched him coach. Lots of O, but disappointing decisions at crucial times.

It was Keeler who forced Carty to go bigger and pound the ball more often than Carty wanted. It was Keeler who brought in bigger D players on the line in order to match the very teams that were attacking and beating the high flying offenses that were the staple of Carty and his progenitors.

My mistake, so far, was believing that Carty would quickly recognize his weaknesses and learn from Keeler (and SDSU, NDSU, Montana, etc.) and adapt once he came to UD. Carty saw how it worked…twice…and didn’t work (far more than twice :lol: ). Alas, he has made some strides, but he has been slower to adapt than I’d hoped. Unfortunately, Carty will probably need a few more embarrassments in order to see the light.

One other important thing about Carty…he believes offense beats defense. That is how he is hard wired. That probably explains why he is willing to put up with Rojas…Rojas is a mediocre DC, and Carty thinks that will be good enough for his offense to win (along with not wanting to redo the entire defense in the first couple years as Carty implements his offense).

Most coaches are stubborn, if nothing else. Stuck in their ways and slow to change…and they often don’t see their own problems. The really good ones adapt with the times and are humble enough to admit when they are wrong.

We’ll find out what type of coach Carty really is in the next two years as Carty has to put on his big boy pants as we transition to Big Boy football in 2024/2025.

EDIT: Carty hasn’t been here long. He has made improvements. He IS learning. I believe he will continue to grow and adapt. That is why I am optimistic.
I am not a Bama fan but Nick Saban is the best example of "adapting" to whatever talent he had year after year and losing assistant coaches constantly for higher positions elsewhere = the really good ones.
Los Angeles Harballers
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:38 am those of us who have coached ..... also know when something or someone aint working ....
Indeed. You seem to be one of the smarter guys from the coaching ranks. Plenty of good, smart folks on this site...coaches or not...that have good ideas and enjoy sports and people.

Then there are those that somehow think this is an excuse for a good coach:

"It would work if I had the right players, but I don't...but I'm still doing it my way because it would work if I had the right players." <---- That is about as stupid an excuse for failure to excel as there could possibly be.

And, the attitude by someone on here that no one can say a coach is wrong because "us coaches" belong to a secret club of battle hardened guys that know the super secret things about a team of people that no other folks could possible know. :roll:

Look...it says, Coaches' Secret Clubhouse right there on the treehouse door...right next to the No Girls or Non-Coaches Allowed sign. :lol:

Good grief.

Managing or coaching people is a job where one has to constantly adapt to the changing environment. That doesn't mean you abandon your principles, it simply means that you have to adapt your approach to best utilize the individual and collective talents on your team. If you can't do that...what is the point?

The idea that the University of Delaware could not attract enough talent to compete nationally in FCS is nonsense...especially with the string of upgrades in scholarships and facilities. Simply another silly excuse.

Furman gave Montana a great game...and nova gave SDSU a good game instead of being embarrassed (yet, again). Maybe they used magic instead of coaching? JMU (and others) passed us long ago...we simply just didn't keep up with our commitment to excellence.

Hope Carty is up to the task. Fire up a bunch of victories this year and show some development towards better players and schemes so that we can have some success in FBS. A Bowl game in a couple years would be a nice payoff for fans. By that time, Carty will have had 4-5 years under his belt and enough time to determine if he can cut it as a head coach.

Section J

Post by Section J »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:38 am those of us who have coached ..... also know when something or someone aint working ....
They know when it isn't working as well, they just don't have a solution, at this time.

They (Rojas/Carty) have said, maybe alluded to is more accurately, that they can't recruit the kind of lineman they would need to go with down, I don't know why folks won't take them at their word.
Last edited by Section J on Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Section J

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:40 pm Cherry picking? :lol:

Reading comprehension issues, again. As mentioned, right up there ^^^^^ there are plenty of other embarrassments…just wanted to point out the consistency that things haven’t changed when we face good teams. We just get pounded. We don’t get dinked by a finesse offenses. Perhaps you aren’t watching the games.

Always an excuse from you. Can’t run a defense you can’t recruit for? :lol: Maybe those D-lineman players look at a coach’s formula and decide this isn’t the place they want to play. nova is right up the road…somehow they get it done a lot better than Rojas.

And…drum roll please…again, this isn’t just me. Chat with the players and some former staff (yeah, those guys actually in the room where the secret sauce gets cooked) and you’ll find a familiar story.

I am correct…again. :D That bothers you for some reason. :lol:
Section J

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:40 am