UMass to the MAC

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: UMass to the MAC

Post by Cluck U »

mpwerrell wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:41 pm CUSA teams signed a grant of rights agreement through 2027. Leaving early means a $800,000 payment per year.
If W. Kentucky leaves to join the MAC in 2025 that’s a $2.4 million payment. Not earth shattering but something for the institution to ponder.
So, $2.4 million, plus a $3 million departure fee.

Gosh, who would be silly enough to pay around $5 million to switch conferences? :lol:

Happy UMass found a home. As you mentioned, also happy that they have the cold, November night games. :lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

77HEN wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:05 pm Does the MAC have any history of transitioning in a program from FCS?
Marshall, UCF, and I believe Buffalo.

Marshall had history in the league in the 50's and 60's. UCF was a football-only add.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

tomdawg00022 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:40 pm
77HEN wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:05 pm Does the MAC have any history of transitioning in a program from FCS?
Marshall, UCF, and I believe Buffalo.

Marshall had history in the league in the 50's and 60's. UCF was a football-only add.

I asked because that is a clear difference between taking in UMass vs UD. Maybe they consider UMass BBall team to be better too. But does the MAC have any plans to start up a lacrosse conference? Or any schools individually? LAX has been spreading throughout the country.
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

UMass is their only lacrosse school on the men's side. I don't think their athletic programs are in a strong enough financial spot to add lax. If a few other schools added it, it's possible the league could sponsor with a chunk of affiliations but my hunch is UMass will likely keep lax in the A-10 or move it to the Big East, etc.

Women's lacrosse is sponsored. I think they have 5 (including UMass) + 3 affiliations
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

The plan is pretty obvious to me. Get to FBS as soon as possible, and then potentially use CUSA as a launching pad to bigger and better opportunities in 5 to 10 years. But it was important for us to get there first before any future options could be on the table.
Miami (Oh) Yeah !

Post by Miami (Oh) Yeah ! »

BlueHenBill wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:57 pm I was told relatively recently from a source that I respect and who should be in a position to know that when UD was considering its move to FBS UD approached the MAC and was told that the MAC had no interest in adding UD. When I asked why, this source said that they did not know. I would appreciate it if anyone on these boards is in a position where they can confirm or refute this story here. Further, if offering a confirmation I would appreciate any insight into why the MAC would not be interested in adding UD.

I believe that the majority opinion on these boards is that CUSA is a better move for UD than the MAC would be. I would appreciate any pros or cons and the reasons why to that view.
If the MAC passed on UD knowing they were likely to add UMass, then I believe that the MAC already has their #14 waiting in the wings which I believe is WKU. WKU has almost been added twice now. Once around 2001 until I believe EMU's president torpedoed the idea and then again in 2021 until MTSU balked and the MAC didn't want to just have 13 as they want an even number. WKU is still interested and I dont see the MAC adding #13 without already knowing who #14 is. I also think that the two additions are timed up with renegotiations with ESPN.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

finpxz1 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:12 pm The plan is pretty obvious to me. Get to FBS as soon as possible, and then potentially use CUSA as a launching pad to bigger and better opportunities in 5 to 10 years. But it was important for us to get there first before any future options could be on the table.
Thats exactly it. None of the “next step” leagues were accessible any longer going directly from FCS.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Post by Steve1981 »

tomdawg00022 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:25 pm UMass is their only lacrosse school on the men's side. I don't think their athletic programs are in a strong enough financial spot to add lax. If a few other schools added it, it's possible the league could sponsor with a chunk of affiliations but my hunch is UMass will likely keep lax in the A-10 or move it to the Big East, etc.

Women's lacrosse is sponsored. I think they have 5 (including UMass) + 3 affiliations
https://247sports.com/college/massachus ... 227832655/

Perhaps UD could have an affiliation with the MAC for men's soccer and join UMass men's lacrosse in the A10 if the application is accepted.
UPDATE 10:35am 2/28/24 - New info this morning on the above Olympic sports. From what we've been told, UMass' current plans are to apply to the A10 to keep men's lacrosse and women's rowing in the conference as affiliate members. If the conference does not accept those applications, they would look for other affiliate options. With men's soccer they are in fact looking to see if the MAC wants to restart their league, and if not they would look for an affiliate spot somewhere else. Women's lacrosse would play in the MAC. With baseball, the plan (as of now) is to move it to the MAC as well.

This is a time of excitement for the University of Massachusetts and its athletic programs. There is still some uncertainty, there are still some unknowns, but the fact that the Minutemen and Minutewomen have a conference they can call home is important. This is a move towards the future for UMass, something that has not been a strong suit for them for a very long time.

While it may have taken a long and winding road to get here, the fact that everyone can now move forward with the knowledge that this is the next step for UMass is incredibly significant.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:33 pmSo, $2.4 million, plus a $3 million departure fee.
ODU, Marshall, and MSU paid $1.75M each for their CUSA departure fee, not $3M.

https://www.conductdetrimental.com/post ... conference
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:23 pm
Cluck U wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:33 pmSo, $2.4 million, plus a $3 million departure fee.
ODU, Marshall, and MSU paid $1.75M each for their CUSA departure fee, not $3M.

https://www.conductdetrimental.com/post ... conference
Yes, but jd says that has been upped to $3 million. Inflation is hitting everywhere. :lol:
jd of de wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:07 am
Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:41 pm
jd of de wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:40 pmOn top of the standard $3.0m exit fee.
Or would they get the same $1.75M exit fee deal that Marshall, USM & ODU paid out?
That amount was correct in 2022, but I was told it's gone up to $3m and that took place in 2023 when the GOR went into effect.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

UD moving to FBS and CUSA is still great news. It simply had to happen. But there is no way to spin UMass going to the MAC and potentially WKU as well as anything other than not good news.

Hopefully it is still full steam ahead for UD, especially the NEZ upgrade. But CUSA is already less than what it could be with UMass and potentially what it already is with WKU if it leaves.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:49 amYes, but jd says that has been upped to $3 million. Inflation is hitting everywhere. :lol:
CUSA's exit fee WAS $3M but the trio I mentioned settled for nearly half of that amount. See the link I provided. Not sure how firm the former $3M exit fee is at this point, especially with the grant of rights agreement guarantee now implemented by the conference.

Does anyone have a link or verification that CUSA's exit fee is still $3M on TOP of the GOR penalty?

Completely agree with '79 that losing WKU would not be great for CUSA and missing out on UMass is specifically not good for UD. I still prefer CUSA to the MAC and CUSA to the Coastal by a country mile.

If WKU does depart, I wonder if CUSA wouldn't go on a full court press to rope in current FCS rumored schools of interest like Missouri St., Eastern Kentucky, Tarleton St., etc.?
https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 749100007/
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:28 am
Cluck U wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:49 amYes, but jd says that has been upped to $3 million. Inflation is hitting everywhere. :lol:
If WKU does depart, I wonder if CUSA wouldn't go on a full court press to rope in current FCS rumored schools of interest like Missouri St., Eastern Kentucky, Tarleton St., etc.?
https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 749100007/
NC A&T rumored to be looking at FBS with CUSA as a destination as well ….. There goes the neighborhood again 8)
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

There is only one positive I can take from the probable, unfortunate loss of WKU. If CUSA is smaller, it allows UD to schedule more OOC games. This would allow us to play much stronger competition and increase interest from fans and recruits who would love the exposure. Scheduling UP is the answer though we might take our lumps for a while. That's how you build a program, and I still believe we need a more experience pair of HCs(who have name appeal) to move us along.

just viewed Caribe's post- OMG- please not deja vu. maybe Hampton will move up as well :lol: :lol:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

I seriously doubt NC A&T has the resources to compete in CUSA. It's highly questionable whether or not they can do so even in the Coastal.

I love the idea of competing against HBCUs, but wouldn't Southern, Jackson St., Grambling, or FAMU be better able to compete at the FBS level?