UNCW

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HENJOHN

Re: UNCW

Post by HENJOHN »

I see what you're saying too Pat. I'm a little concerned, and this is just the Fan in me, that we can't seem to find a way to win more of the close games. Hopefully we get back on track Thursday night.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

I know you like to simplify everything when providing your expert analysis, so I'll simplify for you even more. You'll win a lot of games if you limit how many times your opponent puts the ball in the basket, and increase the times you do. This team is starting to feel like deja vu all over again. Good, but not elite within the CAA...MI should use that line on his coaching bio...
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

great game to watch in an exciting venue which we lack. UNCW's up tempo style juices up their capacity crowd and lures recruits to come their way. We came close again. As pointed out, deja vu is tough on us and deflating. Our lack of bringing in a true PG and an effective inside presence on D is costing us. Pat's right about our D.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:57 am I know you like to simplify everything when providing your expert analysis, so I'll simplify for you even more. You'll win a lot of games if you limit how many times your opponent puts the ball in the basket, and increase the times you do. This team is starting to feel like deja vu all over again. Good, but not elite within the CAA...MI should use that line on his coaching bio...
Simplify??? When I try to explain things, I get criticized by the experts. You are correct about limiting the number of times the ball goes thru the opponents hoop. There are ways to help achieve that during a game. I could expand and explain. But...........................NO Tired of the abuse.

I will leave the strategy part to the experts.
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Holy cow…you must be a JFK conspiracy theorist. You really need to calm down. No one is questioning your greatness. You obviously need your ego stroked. You are all knowing. Please continue to grace us with your presence. What more do you need??? Jeez…
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:58 am Holy cow…you must be a JFK conspiracy theorist. You really need to calm down. No one is questioning your greatness. You obviously need your ego stroked. You are all knowing. Please continue to grace us with your presence. What more do you need??? Jeez…
Yep. SMH at the craving for attention combined with the victim hood. But it seems to be popular these last many years.

And why does MI have to “manipulate the game” to keep the scoring down? How about the Hens seldom have enough offense and shooting ability with his teams?

Like I have said numerous times, I don’t care how the Hens win, just so they win. If they could continually pull a rabbit out of the hat like two years ago and win multiple CAA titles playing games in the 50 and 60s I would certainly love it.

But they don’t and haven’t. This just don’t win enough, whatever style they play. And on top of that, that don’t play an exciting brand of basketball. It is a bad combination.

With that said, I think Bethea may help. Although obviously rusty, he looks like he can score and is not afraid to shoot.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

tenn hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:55 am great game to watch in an exciting venue which we lack. UNCW's up tempo style juices up their capacity crowd and lures recruits to come their way. We came close again. As pointed out, deja vu is tough on us and deflating. Our lack of bringing in a true PG and an effective inside presence on D is costing us. Pat's right about our D.
Basketball is their football.
Exjay69
UD Class: 1973

Post by Exjay69 »

We shot and rebounded (at least statistically) with them, but when you have double the turnovers (many unforced) and half the steals, in a tight game.........you lose!
allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball »

tenn hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:55 am great game to watch in an exciting venue which we lack. UNCW's up tempo style juices up their capacity crowd and lures recruits to come their way. We came close again. As pointed out, deja vu is tough on us and deflating. Our lack of bringing in a true PG and an effective inside presence on D is costing us. Pat's right about our D.
I get quite envious of the raucous environment when I watch a game at UNCW. That used to be us. Whether you believe MI is a good coach or not, he has not brought any excitement to the program after 8 years. That is self evident. Revenue lost, for sure. Is this acceptable to the administration?……apparently so.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Hens79 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:26 am
finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:58 am Holy cow…you must be a JFK conspiracy theorist. You really need to calm down. No one is questioning your greatness. You obviously need your ego stroked. You are all knowing. Please continue to grace us with your presence. What more do you need??? Jeez…
Yep. SMH at the craving for attention combined with the victim hood. But it seems to be popular these last many years.

And why does MI have to “manipulate the game” to keep the scoring down? How about the Hens seldom have enough offense and shooting ability with his teams?

Like I have said numerous times, I don’t care how the Hens win, just so they win. If they could continually pull a rabbit out of the hat like two years ago and win multiple CAA titles playing games in the 50 and 60s I would certainly love it.

But they don’t and haven’t. This just don’t win enough, whatever style they play. And on top of that, that don’t play an exciting brand of basketball. It is a bad combination.

With that said, I think Bethea may help. Although obviously rusty, he looks like he can score and is not afraid to shoot.
Could they shoot better of course, but it was shown yesterday at 34.7% 3pt shooting, they are right in the middle of D1. Is this THE big problem?

I don't think the problem is getting the offense and shooting here, but keeping it. And I am missing some folks.
Daly, Anderson, Allen, Darling, Horton, Veretto, Ebby, Nelson, Reilly. Not all MI's fault esp now that the inmates run the asylum.

I do agree that it would be great to have a great shooting exciting squad but the current today's team is not that. Are they going to turn into that at some point? I am not optimistic. Will it be fixed be a miracle?? No.

So that leaves how can this Team be it's BEST version??? They scored in the 80's and lost games. The indicator for 23-24 is 70 points. You stay at or below and your win % goes up significantly, over and win % goes down substantially. Not every year, THIS YEAR!!! And No, they will not win every game but it seems to give them the best chance. I want the best chance for this squad to win. Even if it's not exciting.

It is not an attention thing, it's an idea or thought that has some thought behind it, that's all. I am always looking to change my square peg to fit the round hole, not just keep beating it into the the hole. :shock: :shock: :shock:
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

When are folks going to quit blaming coaches and administrators for Delawareans not showing up? CAA championships? Endless promotions? $15 / game center court, chairback seats? The first string of winning seasons in a generation? Nope, still not good enough for “fans” to show up. Spare me PLEASE! :lol:
allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball »

Trent is a true point guard, however, he can’t shoot a lick. I love the way the UNCW coach teaches an aggressive defense. They had a bunch of points off turnovers yesterday. It IS an exciting style of play. I think we have the kind of athletes to play an aggressive defense and run the floor. I always believe in a defense first philosophy. Like Pat said, we are lacking on defense.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

jd of de wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:23 pm When are folks going to quit blaming coaches and administrators for Delawareans not showing up? CAA championships? Endless promotions? $15 / game center court, chairback seats? The first string of winning seasons in a generation? Nope, still not good enough for “fans” to show up. Spare me PLEASE! :lol:
with all due respect JD
1) winning seasons( and barely that) are only due to cupcake schedules( the ranking services like Massey prove it).
2) 1 out of 7 CAA champs in MI's tenure and only the CAA tournament champion/not the season champ which he has never acquired
3) I agree with you JD about offering enticing promos, but they won't work with the average product on court as well as opponents we face)
4) please- everything UD isn't always 1st class as evidenced by the yearly declining attendance, recognition, and records.

I've backed off stating this, but our basketball programs have remained mediocre and need change. We need to hire the right people with EXPERIENCE as Head Coaches to get our engine started. Basketball is the one major sport where drastic change can manifest itself rapidly at the mid major level.
Unfortunately, we are clearly trending in the wrong direction, and I don't see a change in the near future with the present CUSA teams. Many of us rarely, if ever, miss a game and have suffered mightily. I only want a better product on the court for my viewing enhancement :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

One of your better posts, Pat. No one is suggesting that good, lock down half-court defense isn’t super important. All I and others are saying is we have a number of issues currently preventing us from being an elite CAA program. I’m not gonna list them again as we all know what they are, and it’s certainly more than just defense. What’s the biggest area of concern??? I’m not sure, and to be completely honest, I really don’t care because there is plenty of room for improvement across the board. Hopefully Bethea helps down the stretch, but something is still missing with this team, and I don’t see a path to a CAA championship this year. Having said that, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong as we make a run to the title and an NCAA appearance.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

tenn hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:41 pm
jd of de wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:23 pm When are folks going to quit blaming coaches and administrators for Delawareans not showing up? CAA championships? Endless promotions? $15 / game center court, chairback seats? The first string of winning seasons in a generation? Nope, still not good enough for “fans” to show up. Spare me PLEASE! :lol:
with all due respect JD
1) winning seasons( and barely that) are only due to cupcake schedules( the ranking services like Massey prove it).
2) 1 out of 7 CAA champs in MI's tenure and only the CAA tournament champion/not the season champ which he has never acquired
3) I agree with you JD about offering enticing promos, but they won't work with the average product on court as well as opponents we face)
4) please- everything UD isn't always 1st class as evidenced by the yearly declining attendance, recognition, and records.

I've backed off stating this, but our basketball programs have remained mediocre and need change. We need to hire the right people with EXPERIENCE as Head Coaches to get our engine started. Basketball is the one major sport where drastic change can manifest itself rapidly at the mid major level.
Unfortunately, we are clearly trending in the wrong direction, and I don't see a change in the near future with the present CUSA teams. Many of us rarely, if ever, miss a game and have suffered mightily. I only want a better product on the court for my viewing enhancement :wink:
Says another non-ticket buyer.