Del State Schedule update

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Bluewyn Gold

Re: Del State Schedule update

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

bluehenbillk wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:02 pmI take the release to say that as a FBS school UD couldn’t play in Dover and for moving the game to Newark UD would agree to play DelState a number of times.
I think the current deal calls for games in Newark in '26, '27 and '29, in addition to the '25 game. Whether or not the other three games vs. the Stingers are ultimately played is a real question, as are games beyond '29. We'll see.

I expect the games to become even more one-sided and just not worth it for either side.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

Carrot meet stick.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

I’m sure Del State said yes to the contract changes very quickly. The check they get is a lot bigger now. And I’m glad that money is staying instate.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

InvestedHenFan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:44 pm Hopeful that Del State comes off the schedule for good- plenty of cool FCS match up options that will serve as a true "tune up" for the boys- 0-11 is no rivalry-
An annual home opening beat down to get ready for a P5 payday the following week, would be my guess.
#JustWinBaby
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

An update from Kevin in today's Delawareonline.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sp ... 152804007/

Looks like there's a game tentatively scheduled for 2030, as well as the others I listed in my prior post. Kevin also wonders whether any of the games beyond 2025 will remain, and there's probably for good reason for him to make that comment.

As I mentioned, I remain skeptical that either side or any fan constituents will want this series to continue on a semi-regular basis beyond 2025. The competitive and resource disparities are about to become even more glaring, which won't reflect well on our friends from Dover from the athletic standpoint and might again cast UD in an uncomfortable light.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

BG...you aren't new to this area, so it is a surprise that you think DSU will fade into a small data point.

The UD-DSU game has little to do with football competitiveness. DSU is the little sister to UD and that is intolerable for some folks in these days of calls for...especially form those in academia...equity. Thus, the game and "sharing" of resources (Chrissi's speech, and UD's public stance, purposely wasn't limited to athletics).

DSU could make themselves a real special school with the aviation option...focusing on developing great paying jobs in that sector, both as pilots and (more importantly due to so many different jobs) aviation mechanics. Many other ways to make that school special and relevant for folks wanting a different type of education that is found 45 miles to the north. But...nope. Way too much money to be made from grifting off other nonsense.

Damned shame. The state of Delaware could shine with both schools pursuing excellent fields that would open up opportunities for people from all types of backgrounds in this small state.

Regardless, DSU will be on our schedule. The game has benefits: the money stays in state; very short commute for the fans and student athletes (although they might be traveling in their own personal Bentleys if the NIL stuff continues to grow); politicians get to smile and pretend they care while throwing more money into their pet projects; and UD gets to grow their influence by controlling more interactions with their smaller sibling (thus requiring more of those administrative jobs).

Wait, those last two aren't really benefits. :lol:

Anyway, there was a time when both teams were ranked...long gone due to some clownish moves. Sad, really. Sprinkling in DSU with other regional FCS schools will be tolerable as long as the rest of our schedule is better quality.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Mr. Cluck, a well-stated retort, as I'd expect. I agree 100% with everything you've said.

DSU has made remarkable strides in many areas over the last 25 years, but athletics is certainly not one of them. I've long thought the school could and should be a natural in-state alternative to UD for those seeking four-year degrees, along with fulfilling their historic HBCU mission. But they've gone decidedly backward athletically and are barely surviving in a greatly diminished MEAC. It's painful to see, and I take no delight at all in it. As a lifelong DE resident, I want all of our schools to excel.

I agree with all of the reasons you mention why the series should continue. I just think as we move forward and if things go in the competitive directions I imagine, it's going to become increasingly more obvious to everyone that no one is being served by continuing the series. We'll see.

I'm not opposed to playing DSU in the future at all. I'd just hate to see DSU embarrassed and the disparities further emphasized year after year. That serves no one well.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

I'd just throw it out here, colleges aren't obligated to have sports at the varsity/inter-collegiate area. If DSU isn't really able to support a viable football program, there really is no reason why they should continue to do so. Clearly there are many universities, extremely good ones, that don't play football, and that's okay.

As for playing DSU, I'm fine with it, as long as it isn't an annual game. I have no problem with playing an FCS team every year once we're FBS, that's just par for the course, but no need to be locked into only one school.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation