2024 Schedule

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
hensfan40yrs

Re: 2024 Schedule

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 pm Cronic Resigns As Mercer Football Head Coach

MACON – Athletics department officials at Mercer University announced Tuesday evening that Drew Cronic has resigned his position as football head coach to assume the offensive coordinator role with the Navy Midshipmen. A national search will begin immediately to identify Cronic's successor at MU.

It seems like more than one FCS head coach has resigned to take FBS coordinator job

Less current environment responsibility with more pay
no more coaching or playing at your dream schools, $$ cancels out loyalty
Los Angeles Harballers
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Oregon St and Washington St must be looking for games as the only surviving schools from the PAC12.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

finpxz1 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:29 pm Oregon St and Washington St must be looking for games as the only surviving schools from the PAC12.
They reached a scheduling agreement with the Mountain West. Both teams have 12 games scheduled for '24. No room at the inn for UD.
UDan
UD Class: 2025

Post by UDan »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:19 pm As of today, Syracuse, UMass, and Boston College have open dates on their '24 schedules. Don't know if their open dates match up with UD's two open dates, but they are regional schools with only 11 games scheduled. Among our future CUSA opponents, New Mexico State and Florida Atlantic have open dates. Outside the region, TCU, SMU, and Hawaii also have dates.
I did scouring of every FBS conference's OOC games minus SEC, B1G, CUSA. Here's what I found

https://x.com/DanSteenkamer/status/1745 ... 62659?s=20

BC and FAU (by the way, FAU is now in the American) work with Delaware's opening. As does TCU. I ruled out Hawaii from the jump due to logistical crunch this close to the 2024 season.

The (or a) flaw with Cuse and with UMass is that Cuse already is set to play FCS Holy Cross in '24 (9/28) and UMass has an FCS scheduled in Wagner (9/21).
Daniel Steenkamer, HERO Sports FCS Correspondent
Twitter @DanSteenkamer
Instagram | dansteenkamer.fcs
University of Delaware '25 via Syracuse University

2022 GoHens FCS Playoff Pick-'em Pool Champion
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:00 am Im still trying to wrap my head around this whole thing. I am not being negative, the question I have is with the current college football atmosphere, how do you build a program if not in the P5? If you get good / exceptional talent, how long do you have them before the upper echelon grabs them.
If Nick Saban gets frustrated with the current system I feel sorry for the coaches that have to deal with it at the CUSA level.
Things change and universities adapt. At one point scholarships were unlimited, then they were limited to 105, then 95 and now 85. Coach Otto told us stories about how big time schools would scoop up as many players as possible. One, to get the best players. Two, to keep good players from ever seeing the field and being an opponent. I'm sure the coaches were complaining then about their ability to field a team with less scholarships, yada, yada... They adjusted.

Obviously, it's the wild west right now and hopefully things get somewhat regulated. In the meantime these coaches realize that their roster is fluid and ever changing. It just takes a different mentality and approach. I can see why older coaches wouldn't want to deal with it, I wouldn't. It's hard to be tough on kids nowadays, because they'll just enter the portal. It is what it is I guess. Hopefully Carty can make Delaware an attractive place where athletes want to play, even if it's only for a couple of years. Go Hens!
Attila the Hen

Post by Attila the Hen »

UDan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:37 pm The (or a) flaw with Cuse and with UMass is that Cuse already is set to play FCS Holy Cross in '24 (9/28) and UMass has an FCS scheduled in Wagner (9/21).
Dan, I believe transitioning teams count as FBS games.
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

RalphD58 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:09 pm
hensfan40yrs wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:00 am Im still trying to wrap my head around this whole thing. I am not being negative, the question I have is with the current college football atmosphere, how do you build a program if not in the P5? If you get good / exceptional talent, how long do you have them before the upper echelon grabs them.
If Nick Saban gets frustrated with the current system I feel sorry for the coaches that have to deal with it at the CUSA level.
Things change and universities adapt. At one point scholarships were unlimited, then they were limited to 105, then 95 and now 85. Coach Otto told us stories about how big time schools would scoop up as many players as possible. One, to get the best players. Two, to keep good players from ever seeing the field and being an opponent. I'm sure the coaches were complaining then about their ability to field a team with less scholarships, yada, yada... They adjusted.

Obviously, it's the wild west right now and hopefully things get somewhat regulated. In the meantime these coaches realize that their roster is fluid and ever changing. It just takes a different mentality and approach. I can see why older coaches wouldn't want to deal with it, I wouldn't. It's hard to be tough on kids nowadays, because they'll just enter the portal. It is what it is I guess. Hopefully Carty can make Delaware an attractive place where athletes want to play, even if it's only for a couple of years. Go Hens!
Wild West is right, just read where all of Sabans players recruits have 30 days to enter the portal. Bet Kirby Smart gets the rewards.
Los Angeles Harballers
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

UDan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:37 pmBC and FAU (by the way, FAU is now in the American) work with Delaware's opening. As does TCU. I ruled out Hawaii from the jump due to logistical crunch this close to the 2024 season.

The (or a) flaw with Cuse and with UMass is that Cuse already is set to play FCS Holy Cross in '24 (9/28) and UMass has an FCS scheduled in Wagner (9/21).
Good work taking it to the next level, sir. And thanks for the reminder about FAU. I agree that Hawaii is probably not worth it, given the travel expenses and time involved.

Not sure about Mr. Attila's comment about counting wins vs. teams in transition for bowl eligibility, though it SOUNDS familiar.
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen »

hensfan40yrs wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:31 pm
RalphD58 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:09 pm

Wild West is right, just read where all of Sabans players recruits have 30 days to enter the portal. Bet Kirby Smart gets the rewards.
And it does not help when one of his former stars tweets that he'd be in the portal so fast!!!
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:16 pmAnd it does not help when one of his former stars tweets that he'd be in the portal so fast!!!
Didn't he call out his center after the game about his snaps? Then the next day, he was in the portal? That's what my friend said, I don't follow Alabama and their BS.
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

RalphD58 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:44 pm
Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:16 pmAnd it does not help when one of his former stars tweets that he'd be in the portal so fast!!!
Didn't he call out his center after the game about his snaps? Then the next day, he was in the portal? That's what my friend said, I don't follow Alabama and their BS.
i was talking with friends during a live interview before M- bama game where nick was holding his right arm with one hand and the mic with the other and still shaking, they saw it too, i wonder if its medical, early parkinsons?
Los Angeles Harballers
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Attila the Hen wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:28 pmDan, I believe transitioning teams count as FBS games.
I think you're right on this.

2023 Jacksonville State is an example. They played an FCS team (ETSU) and another in transition (Kennesaw) are were still bowl-eligible.

Playing a bonafide FCS team and a team in transition is probably not great for SOS, but it doesn't seem like it's an automatic disqualifier. I agree that the SOS impediment could hurt UD's chances at trying to land a 2024 game with either BC or, to a lesser degree, UMass, as Dan suggested.
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Why don't you buy Maine's game at Oklahoma on Nov.2? We'll sell it to you for $735K ($635 buy + $100K finders fee). Then you'll have a premiere FBS game on your schedule. :D
Attila the Hen

Post by Attila the Hen »

mainejeff wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:47 am Why don't you buy Maine's game at Oklahoma on Nov.2? We'll sell it to you for $735K ($635 buy + $100K finders fee). Then you'll have a premiere FBS game on your schedule. :D
With $200M of athletic donations, why is Maine selling themselves to OU for a beatdown?