2024 Schedule

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
topstraight
UD Class: 1909

Re: 2024 Schedule

Post by topstraight »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:14 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:08 amI think he covered your basic point in his post, but he went on to say what would be considered a head scratcher in the past would just be normal going forward … just another day

The Mercer coach bolting for Navy was a head scratcher for those Southern Conference fans and he’s basically saying the FCS coaching carousel is going to get even worse

Different subject
I “heard” the 5 Million dollar fee to get into FBS was partly put in place to control the whispers of a mutiny so to speak, like too many FCS schools expressing interest in going FBS and somebody at the NCAA thinks FBS has enough teams right now.. Not enough room at the Inn
Thanks for that.

Agree with the sentiment. I guess where I'd slightly disagree is that I don't think it will happen on a mass scale - not much more than in the recent past.

Also agree about the increased exit fee being imposed for "mutiny control". Some FCS conferences like the CAA supported the increased fee (to UD's dismay) for that EXACT reason. FBS conferences and schools simply don't like the idea of slicing the post-season pie with additional schools. I get why both would support the increase.
A big effort on to try to limit new entrants to P4 AND G5...

CFP committee is pushing back on giving new ACC member SMU a P5 "share" of the revenue(no more rubber stamp). This is also true for G5. They are getting serious--but the only way to legally do it---is just to increase the money needed, increase requirements and raise/enforce departure fees. The word is --"Sure--- you can move up"--but it's gonna cost you. IMO--FCS to FBS move-ups DO need to be limited. Again--there have also been recent similar "signals" to any G5 to P4 move-ups. (Source--Ross Dellenger, Yahoo Sports)
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Henny wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:26 pm
Cluck U wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:35 pm Speaking of schedules and other things related to UD football, The Stone Balloon Ale House on Main Street has closed its doors. :cry:

Frankly, I thought that for a while they had a pretty decent upscale pub menu and some fun, creative food/drink specials. It was a great atmosphere...they had the names of the bands that played at the Stone Balloon on a large wall (a very impressive list) and had kept a lot of the original "stone" appeal (I have two of the stones from the old building).

Plenty of UD football players bounced at the old Balloon, and many of today's students worked there (a different place, but the owners paid homage to the old Balloon).

Damned shame. As the prices of ingredients rose, I noticed their specials were starting to get a bit more blah yet more expensive. Bummer...was looking forward to going there as part of our reintroduction to the outside world.

Another day, another memory erased.
Kinda bumming about the “new” Balloon here too. It was a good spot and I was just there before the announcement.

Let’s see what takes that space but the commercial space next door is empty as well.
Plenty of empty store fronts in Newark. Unfortunately, I know about a couple other places that aren’t going to make it. Must be that great economy.

But, student athletes are looking to get paid bigly, so there’s that.

Hope an improved schedule brings more fans into town.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:11 pm
Cluck U wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:35 pm Speaking of schedules and other things related to UD football, The Stone Balloon Ale House on Main Street has closed its doors. :cry:

Frankly, I thought that for a while they had a pretty decent upscale pub menu and some fun, creative food/drink specials. It was a great atmosphere...they had the names of the bands that played at the Stone Balloon on a large wall (a very impressive list) and had kept a lot of the original "stone" appeal (I have two of the stones from the old building).

Plenty of UD football players bounced at the old Balloon, and many of today's students worked there (a different place, but the owners paid homage to the old Balloon).

Damned shame. As the prices of ingredients rose, I noticed their specials were starting to get a bit more blah yet more expensive. Bummer...was looking forward to going there as part of our reintroduction to the outside world.

Kinda bumming about the “new” Balloon here too. It was a good spot and I was just there before the announcement.

Let’s see what takes that space but the commercial space next door is empty as well.
Plenty of empty store fronts in Newark. Unfortunately, I know about a couple other places that aren’t going to make it. Must be that great economy.

And unexpected one about the Balloon. But plenty of building going on Main St including a beautiful Hyatt and 2 other hotels being built. More people have been and certainly will be coming to Main Street. The developers are betting on it and guys like Lang are pretty smart guys. And yes, an FBS schedule can only bring more people to town.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

I wonder if Jill Stevenson left anything behind?
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

it looks like the tore down Margarita pizza or whatever it became on Main Street....
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Hens79 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 pm

And unexpected one about the Balloon. But plenty of building going on Main St including a beautiful Hyatt and 2 other hotels being built. More people have been and certainly will be coming to Main Street. The developers are betting on it and guys like Lang are pretty smart guys. And yes, an FBS schedule can only bring more people to town.
What two other hotels are being built on Main Street? The Hyatt is it. The Super 8 was taken down and will be replaced by apartments. The hotel that was being proposed close to the Hyatt was withdrawn and will now be apartments. Even the Hyatt's footprint and number of rooms were reduced due to economic reasons as the sponsoring hotel chain balked at the numbers. Sure, there will be more people...but most likely the same students that aren't supporting the existing businesses and that are absent for 4-5 months during the year.

Two hotels/motels near I-95 are being demolished on South College, but only one will be replaced. The hotel that UD talked about on the STAR campus has been neutered...although they are desperate to replace the Marriott Courtyard on 896.

But, there is hope. UD is building a 219 unit apartment complex, a 248-space parking garage and 9,600 sq. feet of retail space and plopping it down right next to Stadium Liquors, Delaware Tire Center and Southgate Apartments. You know UD wants to buy out those eyesores. :lol:

Maybe we will get some UD sports sponsors out of the new businesses...which could help our student athletes.
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:48 am
it looks like the tore down Margarita pizza or whatever it became on Main Street....
Margherita's pizza moved to the Park n Shop on South Main (Elkton Rd) across from the municipal building. Still the best buffalo wing pizza around (not soupy, like most), and their linguini with clam sauce is delicious.

The old building is going to be...surprise...a 5-story building with student apartments and retail.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Where did the DOWN UNDER and the GLASS MUG get relocated to? :)
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Oh, one other thing that might help with student attendance...UD is looking into building a bike/pedestrian bridge over the RR tracks from Academy to the farm. Seems like a small thing, but students on East Campus (mostly freshmen...the ones you want to instill with excitement), and in the surrounding area houses and apartments, would have a shorter, more user-friendly path to get to the sports complex. It is currently an ugly walk along South College (UD is also thinking of planting more trees along the S. College road).

Good luck getting approval from the railroads on the pedestrian bridge...such a thing would require stopping train traffic for at least a day as the bridge is lowered into place (my guess is that it would be a pre-fab bridge...but man...that is a long span...it would be hard to stop train traffic for the multiple days it would require to build a normal bridge).

Anyway, hope springs eternal in our search to get more people to support our Hens. :D

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

HENJOHN wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:05 pm Where did the DOWN UNDER and the GLASS MUG get relocated to? :)
I did my best to support those businesses...but my liver could only handle so much. :lol:

UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:08 pm
HENJOHN wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:05 pm Where did the DOWN UNDER and the GLASS MUG get relocated to? :)
I did my best to support those businesses...but my liver could only handle so much. :lol:
We played the Glass Mug!!!!
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:55 pm
Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:48 am
Margherita's pizza moved to the Park n Shop on South Main (Elkton Rd) across from the municipal building. Still the best buffalo wing pizza around (not soupy, like most), and their linguini with clam sauce is delicious.

The old building is going to be...surprise...a 5-story building with student apartments and retail.

i know they moved, but they tore down their old main street location
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:06 pm Oh, one other thing that might help with student attendance...UD is looking into building a bike/pedestrian bridge over the RR tracks from Academy to the farm. Seems like a small thing, but students on East Campus (mostly freshmen...the ones you want to instill with excitement), and in the surrounding area houses and apartments, would have a shorter, more user-friendly path to get to the sports complex. It is currently an ugly walk along South College (UD is also thinking of planting more trees along the S. College road).

Good luck getting approval from the railroads on the pedestrian bridge...such a thing would require stopping train traffic for at least a day as the bridge is lowered into place (my guess is that it would be a pre-fab bridge...but man...that is a long span...it would be hard to stop train traffic for the multiple days it would require to build a normal bridge).

Anyway, hope springs eternal in our search to get more people to support our Hens. :D
Wow! First I’ve heard of the bridge. That would be big for student attendance and would tie in athletics to the rest of the university.
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Must be those $6 Mango smoothies
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Henny wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:29 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:06 pm Oh, one other thing that might help with student attendance...UD is looking into building a bike/pedestrian bridge over the RR tracks from Academy to the farm. Seems like a small thing, but students on East Campus (mostly freshmen...the ones you want to instill with excitement), and in the surrounding area houses and apartments, would have a shorter, more user-friendly path to get to the sports complex. It is currently an ugly walk along South College (UD is also thinking of planting more trees along the S. College road).

Wow! First I’ve heard of the bridge. That would be big for student attendance and would tie in athletics to the rest of the university.
That really would be great, but challenging to do. That is where there is an equipment siding and also where the Norfolk Southern freight tracks turn south. I would love to see any such plans.
#JUST WIN