All time record

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
jrk
UD Class: 2012

All time record

Post by jrk »

I thought it was kind of interesting- if UD beats Rider this Weds. it will bring UD's all time record (against all teams) to exactly .500.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... aware/men/

Also, Rider is the 8th most common opponent for the Hens and we currently have a 33-30 record against them.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... -head.html
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Re: All time record

Post by UD '01 grad »

Good stuff. Love the history and numbers mixing.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

For all too long basketball was the stepchild of UD men's athletics. We stayed grant-in-aid for far too long. Finally changed when Steiney came on board.
jrk
UD Class: 2012

Post by jrk »

I also took a look at the Hens record against our new friends in CUSA. Not many games against them, but, again we are at .500 here (2-2).

Liberty 1-1
LA Tech 1-0
WKU N/A
UTEP N/A
SHSU N/A
MTSU 0-1
Jville St N/A
NMSU N/A
FIU N/A
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

That 6 point loss to Louisville was the highlight of our NCAA appearances. In a different year Louisville was matched against Drexel in a NCAA first round game. Louisville center Rozier was asked by Sports Illustrated if he had ever heard of Drexel. His reply: “I think they’re an academic school”.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

dchen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:26 am That 6 point loss to Louisville was the highlight of our NCAA appearances. In a different year Louisville was matched against Drexel in a NCAA first round game. Louisville center Rozier was asked by Sports Illustrated if he had ever heard of Drexel. His reply: “I think they’re an academic school”.
:lol:

Thanks for the chuckle, dchen.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

dchen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:26 am That 6 point loss to Louisville was the highlight of our NCAA appearances. In a different year Louisville was matched against Drexel in a NCAA first round game. Louisville center Rozier was asked by Sports Illustrated if he had ever heard of Drexel. His reply: “I think they’re an academic school”.
I don't know, We were down 20 in that game and did make a late run but the game was never in doubt for Louisville.

I think the most winnable game was the Tennessee game, Pegues was unstoppable inside, if we could have hit from the outside, we probably win that game. That game was close the entire time, JMHO
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

UDPat wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:32 amI think the most winnable game was the Tennessee game, Pegues was unstoppable inside, if we could have hit from the outside, we probably win that game. That game was close the entire time, JMHO
Agree. I recall thinking going in that we were going to pull off the upset. Not one of our guards' best games. The usually reliable Ketutis missed too many 3s.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

That’s right…of all of our NCAA appearances, the Tennessee game in ‘99 was really the only one we had a legitimate chance to win. I believe we were tied at the break…low scoring first half. Unfortunately, Pegues was having a hard time with their size and length inside (although he still put up numbers), but Gordon was way off that day. Had John been shooting the way he was capable of, I really think we could have beaten the Volunteers. As others alluded to, the Louisville game was truly never in doubt. We were down 18 in the second half when we went on a late run to get the final margin down to 6, but no way we were winning that game. The Michigan State game could have been closer if not for their big man going off for 40 points. That UD team may have been our most talented ever between Saddler, Usher and Threat.
tubby
UD Class: 1972

Post by tubby »

Wasn't Gordon injured and didn't play in the Tennesse game.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

He was in the game and if injured it showed. Both guards could not hit the backside of the oft mentioned barn that day. I was screaming a the tv in frustration. What might have been.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Gordon played, but not well, unfortunately. Pegues got his points, but had to work really hard against their front line. A good chunk of his 23 points were from the free throw line. That Tennessee team was ripe for the picking as they got crushed the next game by the 12 seed Missouri State…who I believe was coached by Steve Alford.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/bo ... aware.html