NIL- Blue Hen Collective

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
mpwerrell

Re: NIL- Blue Hen Collective

Post by mpwerrell »

Hens79 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:36 pm
RalphD58 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:19 pm
HENJOHN wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:51 pm

I ve been wondering the same thing and thought everyone forgot about this
When they started paying players I guess. I think if a student/athlete opts for NIL money, they should have to pay back the cost of their scholarship. Players that don't opt in for NIL money get a scholarship. Numbers of scholarships/NIL players per team stay the same. Just a thought and maybe it'd make athletes think twice about jumping ship so easily.
All of the above is worthy of discussion. There clearly are going to have to be some rules and regulations to NIL and paying athletes.

It will be interesting to see if the folks that usually abhor rules and regulations will support some here.
Commissioners from the P5 have already been lobbying Congress to pass some national guardrails (some exist now but differ by state). Apparently they have been receiving bipartisan support but let’s see if something actually happens.
The major objection from some lawmakers is that the Feds don’t involve themselves in the actual oversight. I guess then the NCAA could be the regulatory “agency”.
Henway

Post by Henway »

Did I miss something???? Seems someone's post in this thread have been deleted. Were they deleted by the moderators or the poster. :wink: :roll:
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

mpwerrell wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:10 pm
Hens79 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:36 pm
RalphD58 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:19 pm

When they started paying players I guess. I think if a student/athlete opts for NIL money, they should have to pay back the cost of their scholarship. Players that don't opt in for NIL money get a scholarship. Numbers of scholarships/NIL players per team stay the same. Just a thought and maybe it'd make athletes think twice about jumping ship so easily.
All of the above is worthy of discussion. There clearly are going to have to be some rules and regulations to NIL and paying athletes.

It will be interesting to see if the folks that usually abhor rules and regulations will support some here.
Commissioners from the P5 have already been lobbying Congress to pass some national guardrails (some exist now but differ by state). Apparently they have been receiving bipartisan support but let’s see if something actually happens.
The major objection from some lawmakers is that the Feds don’t involve themselves in the actual oversight. I guess then the NCAA could be the regulatory “agency”.

These “some lawmakers” you mentioned are likely some of the folks I was talking about. And as much as they don’t like rules and regulations, they don’t like giving a “regulatory agency” any power either. Like I said, It will be interesting. But necessity is the mother of invention. Something will get done because it has to.
UDan
UD Class: 2025

Post by UDan »

I wrote about the Blue Hen Collective in The Review's magazine edition out this week:

https://udreview.com/nilaware-how-the-b ... in-future/
Daniel Steenkamer, HERO Sports FCS Correspondent
Twitter @DanSteenkamer
Instagram | dansteenkamer.fcs
University of Delaware '25 via Syracuse University

2022 GoHens FCS Playoff Pick-'em Pool Champion
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

UDan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:42 pm I wrote about the Blue Hen Collective in The Review's magazine edition out this week:

Thanks Dan. Keep it all coming.
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

This is a mess. Genie is now out of the bottle.
P4 has been begging for this but may not like what they get if left unregulated.

Why earn a National Championship when you can buy one?
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

HensRock wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:12 am This is a mess. Genie is now out of the bottle.
P4 has been begging for this but may not like what they get if left unregulated.

Why earn a National Championship when you can buy one?
You can have the portal or NiL but you shouldn’t have both
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

UDan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:42 pm I wrote about the Blue Hen Collective in The Review's magazine edition out this week:

Good article, Dan.

Did you find out what the Collective charges to do this work? What % of the money do they take?

No one does that work for free. If I give, what % goes to the athletes and what % goes to the business that is running this Collective?

Non-profit organizations have to show how much is spent on overhead versus actual money getting to the cause. It will be interesting to see how much this company takes for handling/dispersing the money. Wonder if we will ever see those numbers from what obviously is a for-profit company?

Put simply…if I give $1,000, does the company keep $200 and the student-athlete gets only $800? $700. F that. Why not just let us pay the kids directly? What is the difference between an indentured servent and an employee? Besides the technical jargon, it is still a form of someone using another person for a profit…the guy just wants it to be HIS profit. :lol:

Regulations? These “collective” guys aren’t doing it just for the students…they want the new rules to benefit themselves while excluding others. On the other side, the big universities would rather cut out the middle men and do the business in-house. Why pay an outside agency 20% of donations if you can create and control your own?

Fun times ahead.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UDEL Fear the Bird

Post by UDEL Fear the Bird »

Thanks for sharing Dan. Very interesting!
Brookside kid hen
UD Class: 1987

Post by Brookside kid hen »

We all know where this is headed, sooner than later. The 4 big conferences take their ball and go play with each other, pun intended, lol, and make scheduling arrangements with we peons to fill out their schedules in the regular season. Then the G5 will have their own playoffs, and the power 4 will keep all of their loot and not share the avalanche of money the networks and streaming services will pony up. Then the G5 will become the new FCS essentially, and the current FCS will absorb D2 and be the 3rd level of college football. So our move up will do no worse than keep our status quo in the college football world for now, we will just have to see how everything shakes out over the next 5 years.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

Was told villanova has 2.5M to distribute annually to scholarship athletes.
#JustWinBaby
lousy putt
UD Class: 1900

Post by lousy putt »

Don't underestimate the money it will require to compete in the years ahead. The world is changing quickly and dramatically.

That diamond-in-the-rough kid that makes an impact at Delaware has his accomplishments on film. And P4 schools are watching carefully, looking to buy that player.

I don't like it any more than you do, but it is reality and you can fully expect to see more and more kids enticed with money to move up. And usually, these will be your star players.

Better have some substantial NIL money in the coffers to offset some of these situations, because you are going to need it to compete going forward.
beancounter
UD Class: 1976

Post by beancounter »

Per soon to be departed NDSU head coach, Matt Entz, an NDSU player has been offered $250,000 by an FBS school. It's just beginning.
Proud to be a f@&king Blue Hen!
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

beancounter wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:39 pm Per soon to be departed NDSU head coach, Matt Entz, an NDSU player has been offered $250,000 by an FBS school. It's just beginning.
I’ll pass on any donations to the NIL. Some company is going to take their cut…eff that…and many student athletes (the most talented ones) are going to take the money from our donors and then simply leave when someone else offers more. Why be loyal when a pot of money is driving the bus?

I don’t blame the kids. I have left jobs for better offers…why not them? But…contributing to that gun for hire mess? Nope. I will buy tickets, tailgate and root for our Fightin’ Blue Hens, but I won’t participate in this NIL game.

Heck, maybe I’ll purchase a keg for the next alumni regatta. At least those students are true amateurs (they really have to do a better job on their social media platforms).
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

Cluck U wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:11 pm But…contributing to that gun for hire mess? Nope. I will buy tickets, tailgate and root for our Fightin’ Blue Hens, but I won’t participate in this NIL game.
You are so transactional. (like me)

You must not be a real fan.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-