Contribution email?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
NewHen21

Re: Contribution email?

Post by NewHen21 »

To follow up from my previous post.. why In the world would I want “something in return” for donating?! It’s a donation for a reason. If they send me a magnet in the mail then fine I don’t care. But that money is used directly to benefit the student athletes, which in turn produces better food, travel, academic support, facilities, medical support, etc. half the people on this board are acting like the people on YouTube who donate to a homeless person to take a video of it and post it on social media. Do it because it’s the right thing to do, not because there should be something in return
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Sheesh…pontificate much?

I guess our biggest donors shouldn’t have rooms or buildings named after them. :lol:

Transactional. :roll:

UD crams students into triples that were meant to be doubles…think they give those precious and valued students (and future alums) an equivalent price break? Nope. UD also fought tooth and nail to keep money for services not rendered to students during COVID…kept appealing in courts. UD’s greed was embarrassing…and I am quite sure that UD’s efforts will be…ahem…rewarded when the letters for donations are sent out and those students graduate and remember how UD short changed them.

Transactional. Yup, someone is definitely making it a transactional relationship (and an expensive one…well over $100,000). Without that income stream, UD (and the football program) doesn’t exist.

And UD will continue to ask for millions from the taxpayers…many with no ties to UD. Transactional, indeed. :lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

Love you Cluck. Hope all is well.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Maddog@76 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:03 am Love you Cluck. Hope all is well.
Thanks, Maddog…love you and your whole gang! You were the best hosts!
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

NewHen21 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:31 pm To follow up from my previous post.. why In the world would I want “something in return” for donating?! It’s a donation for a reason. If they send me a magnet in the mail then fine I don’t care. But that money is used directly to benefit the student athletes, which in turn produces better food, travel, academic support, facilities, medical support, etc. half the people on this board are acting like the people on YouTube who donate to a homeless person to take a video of it and post it on social media. Do it because it’s the right thing to do, not because there should be something in return
I would guess for their 10M dollar donation, Mr & Mrs Whitney expected the Athletic Center to be named after them. Have you heard of the “Flacco weight room” located inside the WAC?

For $1,000, I was offered my name on a locker inside the Field Hockey locker room.

It goes on and on, but I’m certain the UDAD is very grateful for your support with the expectation of nothing in return.
#JustWinBaby
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Well it seems the term I used, transactional, has hit a sore point with some. Oh well…

Most of us who have donated above the transactional contributions (tuition, tickets to games, concessions etc) don’t give enough to get stuff named after us and that’s OK.

It’s also OK to contribute if you are receiving something in return.

A development officer took me to lunch to update me on the North Endzone project and I wasn’t asked to give. Just an update, a time to further develop a relationship.

So, my original point, expanded somewhat, is to take advantage of learning first hand about what is going on and if you are not interested in giving in the future so be it.

My apology for such a long post.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Maddog@76 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:03 am Love you Cluck. Hope all is well.
Mr. Hanby

I like Cluck and this 19 year old named Daniel.

Daniel Moody, 19, was recruited to run plumbing for the plant after graduating from a Memphis high school in 2021. Now earning $24 an hour, he’s glad he passed on college.

https://fortune.com/2023/03/09/american ... ation/amp/

“If I would have gone to college after school, I would be dead broke,” he said. “The type of money we’re making out here, you’re not going to be making that while you’re trying to go to college.”

Now just sit back for a second and listen to pontificating Chen spin a yarn

The establishment insisted that you must attend college after HS and college attendance has boomed since the 70s, but so did the cost. Just take out a student loan, all is well. The enabling Big Guy will pay for it. Also, back in the day, some kids had to face the reality that they just might not be college material, and they were told so.

In my senior year when I visited the guidance counselor, I told her I wanted to go to the University of Delaware, and study journalism. She looked at my grades and threw up her hands and said, what do you expect me to do with you? The U of Delaware will laugh as both out of the room if I send in your application. You’ve totally wasted your time in high school. What have you been doing for the last four years? Well, ma’am I’ve been running a sports gambling ring and we bet on high school football games, and yea your football team was involved… she laughed and said get outta here but only I know if I was just joking…

Over the decades, college wasn’t necessarily for the best and brightest anymore and it became harder to tell Johnny because the establishment mindset had grown deeper roots. There is no other path, you just have to go.

The pandemic changed a lot of things. Before the pandemic I would be like … why do I have to physically go to that school? Just send me the material and final exam online and I’ll take it. Save on travel and lodging… of course they didn’t listen but now, post pandemic they wouldn’t think about flying employees to school, we can just do it virtually they said while they patted themselves on the back.

Apparently the pandemic has put a big dent into the number of young people attending college right out of high school. They are learning that it is absolutely not required, and you can still make something of yourself without college.

Corporations are also starting to offer their own training and teaching people the skills that are actually necessary to do their job. This means that the best of the best are starting to go right into the workforce and bypassing the traditional 4 year college degree after high school.

Where is all this is going? I don’t know, but you can bet your last dollar that the University of Delaware is it going to be asking for it :D
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

I don't think most people expect something in return for a small donation to Delaware Athletics. I know "small" is a relative term depending on your income. Obviously a major contribution to the program that moves the needle would be considered more "transactional". Just give what you want or don't, there's a ton of ways to support the program other than giving them money.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Carib - everyone is starting to brush up on their zoom skills again. It’s coming back! There’s a four year cycle for this stuff and it’s right on schedule.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

RalphD58 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:29 am I don't think most people expect something in return for a small donation to Delaware Athletics. I know "small" is a relative term depending on your income. Obviously a major contribution to the program that moves the needle would be considered more "transactional". Just give what you want or don't, there's a ton of ways to support the program other than giving them money.
This is well said and the correct view on this. there are a number of ways to support the Athletics program overall.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

77HEN wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:19 pm Carib - everyone is starting to brush up on their zoom skills again. It’s coming back! There’s a four year cycle for this stuff and it’s right on schedule.
What “cycle” are you taking about?

And CH, UD continues to have very, very high applications, if not record amounts as they are in the process of adding over 5K students.
Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

Hear you loud and clear Caribbean Hen. One grandson just graduated from High School. Good student and good kid; unsure of what he wanted to do. Mentioned 2 things to me: 1) law enforcement ( I said no way- we are now a country of no consequences for people who violate the law. No-win situation for a law enforcement- criminals have a better chance of having a statue erected to them; 2) USMC- (no way I stated more enemies within our borders to worry about, and why would he want to be abandoned on foreign soil?). He chose the USAF. After 4- years he will reexamine his vocational opportunities. Colleges- it is all about the money. Maybe by then the focus will be more on education and not indoctrination. Sad state of affairs!
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Hi Wayne,
I hope your grandson finds his path and with you guiding him I am sure he will be a success.

My kids and their spouses all graduated from UD and I think the only indoctrination they received was too much beer!

They took their theoretical and hands on education from UD and applied it successfully to the real world (engineer, disabilities teacher, operations director, and a Certified Financial Analyst).

Everyone learns and applies learning differently.
Last edited by mpwerrell on Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Hens79 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:30 pm
77HEN wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:19 pm Carib - everyone is starting to brush up on their zoom skills again. It’s coming back! There’s a four year cycle for this stuff and it’s right on schedule.
What “cycle” are you taking about?

And CH, UD continues to have very, very high applications, if not record amounts as they are in the process of adding over 5K students.
With no plans to house them. :lol:

In fact, UD says they will leave the housing to the private market as long term prospects for college enrollment are not good. UD doesn’t want to end up 20 years from now with unused dorm rooms.

Problem? The private housing/apartment market can only expand so fast…especially with the high interest rates (gosh…wonder what happened there)…so the students get crammed into bad housing arrangements and the neighborhoods get turned into rental units with absentee landlords.

UD doesn’t give a hoot. More students = more revenue. They are nothing but a business…all transactional. :lol:

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Maddog@76 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:34 pm Hear you loud and clear Caribbean Hen. One grandson just graduated from High School. Good student and good kid; unsure of what he wanted to do. Mentioned 2 things to me: 1) law enforcement ( I said no way- we are now a country of no consequences for people who violate the law. No-win situation for a law enforcement- criminals have a better chance of having a statue erected to them; 2) USMC- (no way I stated more enemies within our borders to worry about, and why would he want to be abandoned on foreign soil?). He chose the USAF. After 4- years he will reexamine his vocational opportunities. Colleges- it is all about the money. Maybe by then the focus will be more on education and not indoctrination. Sad state of affairs!
Excellent advice. Hope he does well.

Police forces all over are having tough times filling positions, especially in big cities. Fact - not fiction…numbers don’t lie. No need for political spin on this one…that way we can keep politics and spin out of this…but the people will tell you exactly why they aren’t signing up. No guessing required.

Ditto with the armed services. Haven’t seen how that impacts the service academies and their athletic programs…perhaps they are insulated.

And people are reassessing college tuition costs and the useless majors. It will be interesting to watch universities adapt to the new normal as things settle out.