Field Hockey, Lacrosse and Men's Soccer Conference?

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Info Hound

Re: Field Hockey, Lacrosse and Men's Soccer Conference?

Post by Info Hound »

With five other teams in the Summit, that should mean two or three away conference matchups, plus a possible conference tournament. There will be regional OOC games that will require much less of a trip.

Of greater interest, to me at least, are the landing spots for MLAX and FH.
#JUST WIN
UDFootballFan
UD Class: 1900

Post by UDFootballFan »

Can someone please make this make sense from a logistics standpoint? UD is crying for money but yet going to be sending the soccer team out to the Midwest multiple times a year.

It will likely two days in a hotel [day before the game & after the game] plus meals plus airline costs for at least 40 people [players, coaches, support staff etc].
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

77HEN wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:24 am
Hens79 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:55 am Glad UD and other academic institutions are finally getting on board with the compelling arguments from the minority on at least one important topic, climate. The increased travel due to conference realignment will be a drop in the bucket, or really a molecule in the air, but it is at least a start. You gotta start somewhere, especially when you are part of a movement trying to do the right thing.

/s/ aka cackle cackle

Finally, probably not many really care what conference the soccer team plays in temporarily. When you are in the process of making big and needed changes, everything isn’t perfect. The overall direction is what is important. Hmmm ….

Some kind of cognitive dissonance. Must be painful.
Feel great. And I thought it was very clever. Especially the /s/ and cackle cackle and you know, the whole direction thing of movements and even minority views. And of course the satire and sarcasm. There was a lot there.

Anyway, I wonder how many care what conference the soccer team plays in?
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

Info Hound wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:29 am With five other teams in the Summit, that should mean two or three away conference matchups, plus a possible conference tournament. There will be regional OOC games that will require much less of a trip.

Pretty much and without the hysteria and hyperbole.

I bet a closer home is found for MLAX and FH.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Info Hound wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:29 am With five other teams in the Summit, that should mean two or three away conference matchups, plus a possible conference tournament. There will be regional OOC games that will require much less of a trip.

Same interest with respect to FH and Lax. My probably unrealistic hopes for Lax are as follows:

1. Big East or ACC - We are competitive in the BE and that league would likely interest HS recruits. ACC - we might never see the NCAA again.
2. Patriot League - annual matches againsit Army, Navy, Loyola and BU would be challenging but interesting.
3. A10 - Snooze but would have a stronger chance to make the NCAAs.

Editing this to note that the ACC - 5, Big East - 6, Big 10 - 6 and Atlantic 10 - 6 have the fewest members.
Patriot League and the MAAC are loaded. America East has 8 and Atlantic Sun 10.
Last edited by dchen on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

dchen wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:19 pm

Same interest with respect to FH and Lax. My probably unrealistic hopes for Lax are as follows:

1. Big East or ACC - We are competitive in the BE and that league would likely interest HS recruits. ACC - we might never see the NCAA again.
2. Patriot League - annual matches againsit Army, Navy, Loyola and BU would be challenging but interesting.
Continuing on this MLAX possibility:

With Chrissi's Big10 connections, could that be a possibility? Hopkins , MD, Rutgers, PSU, UM, We have history with all of them.
#JUST WIN
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Info Hound wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:59 pm

With Chrissi's Big10 connections, could that be a possibility? Hopkins , MD, Rutgers, PSU, UM, We have history with all of them.
I was going to suggest the Big also. But, I think these are all pipe dreams. Big East maybe. Patriot could be good but it would seem preposterous given the larger scale picture. Staying with the CAA on this could be realistic - but Hampton!
dchen

Post by dchen »

77HEN wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:58 pm

I was going to suggest the Big also. But, I think these are all pipe dreams. Big East maybe. Patriot could be good but it would seem preposterous given the larger scale picture. Staying with the CAA on this could be realistic - but Hampton!
I thought I read that the CAA has withdrawn the welcome mat for any chance of teams remaining in the Conference.I assume their attitude would be different if they needed us to reach an NCAA AQ in any of the sports.
77HEN

Post by 77HEN »

dchen wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 pm

I thought I read that the CAA has withdrawn the welcome mat for any chance of teams remaining in the Conference.I assume their attitude would be different if they needed us to reach an NCAA AQ in any of the sports.
That would seem to be nothing but payback. Certainly the CAA has different universities participating in different sports. Do they require Richmond to play CAA basket ball? How about Maine which only participates in FB? (They should remove Hampton LAX and make it play in a lower league until they prove themselves). It’s ludicrous if they take the negatory (sic) position out of animus towards UD for moving other sports. But, I believe you represent their position correctly.
dchen

Post by dchen »

77HEN wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:20 pm
dchen wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 pm

That would seem to be nothing but payback. Certainly the CAA has different universities participating in different sports. Do they require Richmond to play CAA basket ball? How about Maine which only participates in FB? (They should remove Hampton LAX and make it play in a lower league until they prove themselves). It’s ludicrous if they take the negatory (sic) position out of animus towards UD for moving other sports. But, I believe you represent their position correctly.
Actually Maine, UNH, URI, Nova and others are in a separate football only CAA legal entity/conference. I remember ODU complaining about being sidelined from CAA championships/auto bids during their transition year out of the CAA. They felt that, as a founding member they should have been treated better. The CAA has had a lot of churn in its history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_A ... ssociation
Last edited by dchen on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Maine is actually a founding member of the football conference that they are in along with UNH and URI......all other members are later additions. It always makes me laugh when other school's fans treat them like red-headed step children.
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

mainejeff wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:10 am Maine is actually a founding member of the football conference that they are in along with UNH and URI......all other members are later additions. It always makes me laugh when other school's fans treat them like red-headed step children.
I don’t think dchen was treating the founding members of the Yankee Conference as “red-headed step children”. He was merely pointing out that the CAA football conference is a different animal from the rest of the CAA sports.

Indeed, ODU was a founding member of the Colonial and felt slighted when they moved on.

UD is not a founding member of any conference in recent history to my knowledge. I am happy, no overjoyed, though that we are moving out and up and having the opportunity to spread the UD brand to other parts of the country on a more consistent basis.
dchen

Post by dchen »

Yes I love Maine (the whole state) and would never mistreat them. UD might be considered a founder of the MAC - from Wiki:

In 1922, it was reorganized as the Middle Atlantic States Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC or MAC). The original 13 members present at the formation meeting in 1922 were: Bucknell University, Drexel University, Franklin & Marshall College, Gettysburg College, Haverford College, Muhlenberg College, New York University, Princeton University, Rutgers University, Stevens Institute of Technology, Susquehanna University, Swarthmore College, and the University of Delaware.[1] In addition, another five members who were not present at the initial meeting but formally approved of the plan were: Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University, Lehigh University, Ursinus College, and Widener University.[1]
77HEN

Post by 77HEN »

Mens Lacrosse and Field Hockey. What is up? These are the two best programs in the Ath. Dept. The lack of a home is gonna start to hurt recruiting , if it hasn’t already.
dchen

Post by dchen »

Udforever1 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:37 pm Soccer headed to the Summit League. I’m somewhat surprised they couldn’t find something closer. Other teams include Denver, UMKC, St Thomas Minnesota, Oral Roberts, and Omaha. Talk about travel.

https://twitter.com/DanSteenkamer/statu ... 2514842877
St Thomas (the Tommies) are interesting. They were D3 a few years ago playing in a MN based D3 conference but sought more exposure in basketball. When in D3 they had a famous rivalry with St John’s MN especially in football. The two once put 37,000 in the Twins MLB stadium for their game. Nothing D3 about that.