I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
FanSinceHighSchool
UD Class: 1900

Re: I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Post by FanSinceHighSchool »

mainejeff wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:43 am
77HEN wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:13 am Don’t know what to think. The CAA made a joke of itself in many ways. And I beleive that UD was a big part of making the CAA a joke. Now UD has to flee because folks just aren’t buying into the new arrangement. There a lot of good programs in FCS and the playoffs can be exciting with the single elimination format. Too bad UD had to contribute to the CAA demise (speculation on my part) instead of pushing for a high quality athletic conference.

What happens with the joke games with DSU now? In Dover??
Delaware does seem to leave a trail of tears wherever they've been (gutted AE).....that being said, congrats! This is like Christmas morning for me. :D

It's ironic that Delaware has given me this gift.....destruction of the CAA after 20+ years of praying and hoping....I'm giddy. :D :lol: :D :lol: :wink:
You are welcomed to it: The Division 2 of Northeast Football, along with Villanova, W&M, and Richmond. They will be packing their bags eventually for the Patriot league.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Maddog@76 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am If true, this has ended my affiliation with the UD football program in all ways, except as a “long distance” fan. UD - please remove me from all your emails; I no longer have any desire to attend BHTC and support something I do not believe in; won’t need season tickets (I believe in spite of the sellout crowds- I will still be able to purchase single game tickets as needed- maybe a Tuesday or Thursday night. Buy an end zone ticket and find an empty seat in Section C.)
Congratulations to all of those who have been waiting for this announcement. I sincerely hope that this turns out great for the fans, and more importantly, the football program. This is just not my cup of tea. Onward and upward. Wayne Hanby
From one long distance fan to another Mr Hanby… I totally understand how you’re feeling right now. My interest level just went out the window

I understand the move had to be made but that doesn’t mean it’s good move for fans …

Just wait until the money dries up and G5 starts what looks like the new and improved FCS playoffs bundled and sold as FBS
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Woot!

Challenges? Sure. Opportunities? Yup.

Movin’ on Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHDwRECFL8M
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
DaveB
UD Class: 1993

Post by DaveB »

When Navy, Temple etc play at Delaware, will the people dropping their season tickets change their mind?
UDEL Fear the Bird

Post by UDEL Fear the Bird »

Finally! I will be buying football and basketball season tickets for sure going forward. If we stayed in the CAA the overall quality of play would just get worse. Even more excited for Conference USA basketball compared to football. Conference USA is a top 10 basketball conference right now.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:28 pmFrom one long distance fan to another Mr Hanby… I totally understand how you’re feeling right now. My interest level just went out the window
Plenty of I-AA teams for you to follow on the internet. I'd recommend the Stingers from Dover or maybe that powerhouse Lafayette club.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:36 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:28 pmFrom one long distance fan to another Mr Hanby… I totally understand how you’re feeling right now. My interest level just went out the window
Plenty of I-AA teams for you to follow on the internet. I'd recommend the Stingers from Dover or maybe that powerhouse Lafayette club.
Right on Henfan
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
gonzo
UD Class: 2005

Post by gonzo »

Will Delaware be subject to a 3-year post-season ban?

2024 CAA ban and then in 2025 a 2-year bowl ban like JMU is subjected to? (JMU is now bowl-eligible due to a rule exception citing a lack of bowl-eligible teams)
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

DaveB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:31 pm When Navy, Temple etc play at Delaware, will the people dropping their season tickets change their mind?
Right ?? We have just opened the door for more good opportunities those types of teams were not
Coming here without this! We could have some really good out of conference games.
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

FanSinceHighSchool wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:27 pm
mainejeff wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:43 am
77HEN wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:13 am Don’t know what to think. The CAA made a joke of itself in many ways. And I beleive that UD was a big part of making the CAA a joke. Now UD has to flee because folks just aren’t buying into the new arrangement. There a lot of good programs in FCS and the playoffs can be exciting with the single elimination format. Too bad UD had to contribute to the CAA demise (speculation on my part) instead of pushing for a high quality athletic conference.

What happens with the joke games with DSU now? In Dover??
Delaware does seem to leave a trail of tears wherever they've been (gutted AE).....that being said, congrats! This is like Christmas morning for me. :D

It's ironic that Delaware has given me this gift.....destruction of the CAA after 20+ years of praying and hoping....I'm giddy. :D :lol: :D :lol: :wink:
You are welcomed to it: The Division 2 of Northeast Football, along with Villanova, W&M, and Richmond. They will be packing their bags eventually for the Patriot league.
That is fine with me. I don't have any delusion for Maine football.....but I would like to see some stability and end the rotating door of conference opponents. I really don't care what "level" they play at....because they will still be playing competitive football on Saturdays in the fall.
CapeHen
UD Class: 2019

Post by CapeHen »

This is a good thing. I know many here are going to be resistant to change. Some will worry we’ll end up like UMass or UConn (we won’t as long as we stick with a conference). And some of you will miss the opportunity to compete for a championship. All valid concerns.

To those that will miss the FCS playoffs, consider this.

1) We haven’t been competitive regardless. We only won once, 20 years ago
2) The FCS title has become more and more meaningless as bigger and better programs bolt to the FBS.
3) The current and next generation of students DO NOT care about the FCS. Games against teams like Navy, Temple, our new conference foes, and other local FBS programs will be MUCH more exciting for students than the CAA/FCS. This move could transform the game day experience for the better. No more 5K and under crowds
4) The power 5 seems to be separating themselves from the G5. We might be looking at a split within a decade anyways. Instead of being third tier, we’ve ensured we’ll at least be in the second tier.

That’s how I’m choosing to view it anyways. Being and FBS program is a good thing! Yes, we’ll suck for a bit. But with a little patience we could be competitive and watching some really fun football soon.

Just look at JMU right now. Why not us?!?! Gotta have some faith and belief.
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J »

mainejeff wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:27 pmHighest compliment coming from you. You should be happy that our association will be ending after 2+ long decades....and it will be glorious. :D
I'm afraid you are like a bad penny doucher.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

gonzo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:40 pm Will Delaware be subject to a 3-year post-season ban?

2024 CAA ban and then in 2025 a 2-year bowl ban like JMU is subjected to? (JMU is now bowl-eligible due to a rule exception citing a lack of bowl-eligible teams)
It’s two years, not three. It would matter on when UD begins the transition.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
DSUrocks07

Post by DSUrocks07 »

Congrats Hens, should have happened about 8-10 years ago.

But I am looking forward to the growth and success of your athletics department over the next few years.
Adopting UD as my new fandom school, but everyone remembers me as the DSU guy. :lol: :lol: :lol: