Embarrassed and distraught

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Super Chicken
UD Class: 1900

Re: Embarrassed and distraught

Post by Super Chicken »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:50 pm Minicicci and I were doing extra practice reps the other day. My neighbor’s golden retriever was doing the long out patterns and we had a border collie doing the intermediate crossing patterns. Two large mastiffs waited 3 seconds before being freed to go after Minucci (spell check really is putting up a fight).

The good news is that Minu has developed a pretty quick release. On the other hand, we’re trying to access the impact rabies shots and a few bandages will have on his playing ability.

Stay tuned.
Just seeing this post Clucker

It put a smile on my face that I hope lasts all day

You are a very clever and funny man

Happy Thanksgiving to all

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

HensRock wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:53 am assess
/əˈses/

verb
to evaluate or estimate the nature, ability, or quality of.

access
/ˈak-ˌses/

verb
to be able to use, enter, or get near (something)
Tru dat, HR. 👍
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:30 pm
pikecreekbill wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:10 pm
Hens79 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:59 am

I am in the same boat HJ. Playing with a third string, inexperienced freshman QB thrown into a close game is tough especially against a very good team. The Hens are playing a team they are better than this week and the kid has had a full weeks of first team reps. I am expecting at least a decent QB performance and a mostly stress free win.
When I heard that Minicucci was not part of the Villanova game plan I was surprised. When you look at the season and the oft injured starting qbs for UD you would think Minicucci would get an extra look and not be completely baffled leading the offense. Another coaching error?
No not another Coaching error. Geez. Remember this isn't Pro Football where guys can practice as much as they want. You only have so many hours to be practicing and can't possibly game plan around 3 deep QBs. It's common sense. If we split all the practice reps up between 3-4 QBs the primary guys who play the vast majority of the plays/games would not be ready and you'd be telling us the Coach made an error for that.
It is common sense HJ. A quality many of goheners don’t seem to have. From our constant, hyper Carty critics, to the FBS deniers, to the this team really is 4-7, it is comical.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Hens79 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:41 am

When I heard that Minicucci was not part of the Villanova game plan I was surprised. When you look at the season and the oft injured starting qbs for UD you would think Minicucci would get an extra look and not be completely baffled leading the offense. Another coaching error?
No not another Coaching error. Geez. Remember this isn't Pro Football where guys can practice as much as they want. You only have so many hours to be practicing and can't possibly game plan around 3 deep QBs. It's common sense. If we split all the practice reps up between 3-4 QBs the primary guys who play the vast majority of the plays/games would not be ready and you'd be telling us the Coach made an error for that.
It is common sense HJ. A quality many of goheners don’t seem to have. From our constant, hyper Carty critics, to the FBS deniers, to the this team really is 4-7, it is comical.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all.
It’s the new math. 8-3 isn’t really 8-3…it has to be contextualized. :lol:
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

pikecreekbill
UD Class: 1978

Post by pikecreekbill »

Hens79 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:59 am

I am in the same boat HJ. Playing with a third string, inexperienced freshman QB thrown into a close game is tough especially against a very good team. The Hens are playing a team they are better than this week and the kid has had a full weeks of first team reps. I am expecting at least a decent QB performance and a mostly stress free win.
Carty had two qbs that have missed a number of games/plays due to injuries. We'll never know what information he had on the injury update for his two qbs but with their past history he should have had an idea. It doesn't make sense to you that he should have taken this into consideration when playing the biggest game of the year? And GEE WHIZ I'm sorry for questioning Carty's coaching ability.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

You can ask what you want. Just pointing out in this situation and to your specific question it didn't make sense and why. He's still learning but you can't game plan for three deep
pikecreekbill
UD Class: 1978

Post by pikecreekbill »

HENJOHN wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:04 pm You can ask what you want. Just pointing out in this situation and to your specific question it didn't make sense and why. He's still learning but you can't game plan for three deep
OK. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
tubby
UD Class: 1972

Post by tubby »

When I first went to u of d we were way behind Nova in the win loss column. Tubby ate away at that and even got ahead by a decent margin until, he was older and his age and retirement were used against him. Nova was a better program and it was a wonderful feeling when we beat them and Temple. Carty will get there in time.
Double G

Post by Double G »

• Trainer offered his thoughts on why it’s so difficult to beat Villanova. His father, Joe, is a former Wildcats’ assistant coach.

“I think a lot of comes back to the way those guys are coached,” said Trainer. “I think they have a good scheme over there.

“I think a lot of it also just comes down to the fact that they just kind of hate us. I think that’s something that we kind of despise but, at the end of the day, that’s something that you’ve got to respect about a rivalry is that they play with passion over there.”
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Double G wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:12 am • Trainer offered his thoughts on why it’s so difficult to beat Villanova. His father, Joe, is a former Wildcats’ assistant coach.

“I am think a lot of comes back to the way those guys are coached,” said Trainer. “I think they have a good scheme over there.

“I think a lot of it also just comes down to the fact that they just kind of hate us. I think that’s something that we kind of despise but, at the end of the day, that’s something that you’ve got to respect about a rivalry is that they play with passion over there.”
He nailed it

Nova always looks good against Delaware but will struggle against teams Delaware beat
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

Trainer's quotes were quite revealing though partially surprising and concerning coming from a schooled UD player. Maybe some of you can expand more on your interpretation of his meaning. Clearly I understand that his thoughts came right after a devastating loss.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

The only reason we lost to nova is because they are a better team. They dominated both sides of the line.

Until Carty builds better lines (and also ditches the lightweight 3-2-6 D), we will continue to lose to the better teams (whether they are named nova or not).

bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

Cluck U wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:51 am The only reason we lost to nova is because they are a better team. They dominated both sides of the line.

Until Carty builds better lines (and also ditches the lightweight 3-2-6 D), we will continue to lose to the better teams (whether they are named nova or not).
Totally agree you can only go so far with saying skill players will take us all the way and if he feels this way we may have reached our plateau. lines are not what they used to be back when we had some of our better squads.
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

tenn hen wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:11 am Trainer's quotes were quite revealing though partially surprising and concerning coming from a schooled UD player. Maybe some of you can expand more on your interpretation of his meaning. Clearly I understand that his thoughts came right after a devastating loss.
I can read between the lines. We were out coached for sure I do not think we would have won that game with either of our other two QBs and that’s MHO and I’m sticking to it. Nova played hard from the get go. Carty is not a “bad” coach but I don’t think he is taking us to the promised land. Being pretty decent and making the playoffs maybe winning a game or two if we get lucky could be it I truly feel.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

bluehens2005 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:56 am
Cluck U wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:51 am The only reason we lost to nova is because they are a better team. They dominated both sides of the line.

Totally agree you can only go so far with saying skill players will take us all the way and if he feels this way we may have reached our plateau. lines are not what they used to be back when we had some of our better squads.
Especially when several aren’t playing due too injury
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019