Embarrassed and distraught

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
cams
UD Class: 1981

Embarrassed and distraught

Post by cams »

Here's the photo gallery from today's game... ho hum

https://www.henshots.com/Football/2023/ ... -11-18-23/

I still can't figure out how Nova can out recruit us. We have a better stadium and facilities, a larger and more intense fan base. We have 20,000 students to their 7,000. It was obvious from the first drive that their O line was superior to our D-Line. They just have better athletes in nearly every position. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I will never see Delaware beat Villanova in a football game in the remaining years of my life.
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Re: Embarrassed and distraught

Post by bluehens2005 »

cams wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:32 pm Here's the photo gallery from today's game... ho hum

https://www.henshots.com/Football/2023/ ... -11-18-23/

I still can't figure out how Nova can out recruit us. We have a better stadium and facilities, a larger and more intense fan base. We have 20,000 students to their 7,000. It was obvious from the first drive that their O line was superior to our D-Line. They just have better athletes in nearly every position. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I will never see Delaware beat Villanova in a football game in the remaining years of my life.
I don’t think facilities matter that much. The school has a name. Their basketball success probably helps some. Their education is valued and maybe just maybe they have a better coaching staff. Thanks for the pics. Ho hum
Day at least it didn’t rain…..
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

If nothing else proves "Jimmies and Joes > X's and O's" today's on-field action should cement it.
Warrior Hen

Post by Warrior Hen »

Their coaching is definitely better.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

The size of the school has zero to do with success on the field of play. Every team has the same number of scholarship athletes. It comes down to the players and coaches. Villanova has consistently been better than us for the past 2 decades, and as others have mentioned, they definitely benefit with the overall brand recognition of their Basketball program. Maybe moving up to FBS will at least get them off our schedule?
double c

Post by double c »

Thanks, Mark. Glad you were able to do the game. Great weather, great crowd, great pictures. Like everyone else, I would have liked to see more end-zone celebrations.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

I'm pissed. I'm tired of caring more about this rivalry than the players and coaches do. Was nova more talented? In some ways, yes. But it's not like we were outclassed out there in terms of straight talent. We were outclassed in terms of passion. We got pushed around from the very first snap and didn't push back. Losing the two QB's certainly played a part, a big part, in terms of the final score, but nova played like they knew they were going win and we played like a win would be nice but unlikely. At this point, we should start the transition process to FBS as soon as possible and simply never play nova again. When the fans care so much more about the game/rivalry than the players and coaches do, it's time to quit the rivalry. Hoist up the white flag, go to FBS, and close the book on this distressing part of UD football history.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Gannonfan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:02 pm I'm pissed. I'm tired of caring more about this rivalry than the players and coaches do. Was nova more talented? In some ways, yes.
Some ways? Every position besides kicker Nova is just as good or better.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan »

bluehenbillk wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:23 pm
Gannonfan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:02 pm I'm pissed. I'm tired of caring more about this rivalry than the players and coaches do. Was nova more talented? In some ways, yes.
Your opinion. Mine is different. Through the first half, game was pretty even. UD loses both their #1 and #2 QB's and the game is a rout. Major difference to me was attitude.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Funny thing is we always bring out the best in Nova.
Today they played like a team that could go to the semi finals, but when they’re not playing Delaware, they don’t look as good, Towson played them better then we did.

Nova will disappoint in the playoffs once again
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:36 pm Funny thing is we always bring out the best in Nova.
Today they played like a team that could go to the semi finals, but when they’re not playing Delaware, they don’t look as good, Towson played them better then we did.

Nova will disappoint in the playoffs once again
They care more when they play us. These are college kids, attitude matters. You're right, nova hasn't looked this good all year. They're not going to make much more noise than we will in the playoffs (although if we don't have a QB they will make more noise).
Firstand10BlueHens
UD Class: 2005

Post by Firstand10BlueHens »

Gannonfan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:26 pm
bluehenbillk wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:23 pm
Your opinion. Mine is different. Through the first half, game was pretty even. UD loses both their #1 and #2 QB's and the game is a rout. Major difference to me was attitude.
I think because of the history they play with confidence and we play with a monkey on our backs.
Sally in RI
UD Class: 1974

Post by Sally in RI »

I watched on Flo. What was the atmosphere like in the stadium? I couldn’t tell at all from the broadcast.

Play by play was good.

Sally in RI
BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby »

End result is Nova beats us every year (please don't even try bring up that spring season win in 2021). I don't know how far Nova will go in the playoffs. Really don't care, Pretty safe bet it will be further than UD. And it's not just Nova- how many times in the last decade or so has UD folded at the end of the season with losses to more than just Nova when they needed to win. This year we lost 2 out of our last 3 games (Elon and Nova). The only thing that saved us from losing 3 in a row was playing a team (Campbell) that turned out to be a weakling. Last year it was back to back losses to Richmond and Nova. I indicated in another post that even if UD is fortunate enough to get a first round playoff spot I won't be going. If they do get a spot it will likely be against a weak opponent like a St. Francis or Duquesne. Will we get by even a weak opponent? Remember we will likely be starting a true freshman 3rd string QB. If UD wins they will likely to be served up to a powerful seeded team like a SDSU.
Brookside kid hen
UD Class: 1987

Post by Brookside kid hen »

Sally it was good all the way up until we tied the game at 7-7, then Nova went right down the field easily to go up 14-7, then Delaware had about 1:28 and one timeout left in the 1st half and just sat on the ball, it really deflated the crowd. We got the ball to start the 3rd qrt and went 3 and out, Villanova scored again pretty easily to go up 21-7, and people started streaming out. Just killed any enthusiasm in the stadium.