Game Thread: Villanova

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Warrior Hen

Re: Game Thread: Villanova

Post by Warrior Hen »

I hope we get another game for the players that are ending their college career this year.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Caldwell Chicken wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:32 pm
Hengrad07 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:31 pm What happened to Marker? Couldn't see from the other stands? Couldnt even see a hit?
From our seats…late hit out of bounds. It is his knee. My guess would be ACL.
It was a late hit. Saw it as well.
GhostOfThePeeWall

Post by GhostOfThePeeWall »

I get that the Buddy Ryan style don't give up an inch defense isn't practical in 2023, but man this 'bend but don't break' style sure does seem to break a lot. 3 down lineman seems to encourage just running up the gut with ease, and corners playing 10 yards off the receivers seems to encourage dinking and dunking the way down the field. Receivers are capital O OPEN against Delaware.

This goofy style of defense has kept the Hens in games they don't belong in over the years, but they also seem to s**t the bed at the most inopportune times as well. Today was ugly.
Double G

Post by Double G »

Maybe you didn't notice that Nova's defense had 3 down linemen.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

JMU run ended today at App State
Warrior Hen

Post by Warrior Hen »

Their was a stand up linebacker near the line dedicated to the run and pressuring the quarterback.

Essentially, a four man line.
GhostOfThePeeWall

Post by GhostOfThePeeWall »

Double G wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:13 pm Maybe you didn't notice that Nova's defense had 3 down linemen.
A lot of teams do, but they don't play as passively behind the line as Delaware does
BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby »

HensRock wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:54 pm This was not that surprising.
We are an average football team with an inflated record and inflated stats due to the weakest schedule I've ever seen Delaware face - by far.
Would not be surprised if we lose next week also.
I went to the St. Francis game last year. I will not attend a sham playoff game this year. While the coaching staff did a good enough job filling in the holes from the departures last season, the only teams we were really capable of beating were weaker teams given to us by a cupcake schedule. The two real FCS teams we played (Elon and Nova) beat us decidedly. The 8-3 record is a deceptive at best. I haven't decided if I think the program is really moving forward or not. When I calm down I'll give it more thought. What I do believe is that this program and team has surely not yet proven they are ready to move up to FBS.
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

dovetail wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:19 pm JMU run ended today at App State
So the day wasn't a TOTAL loss... :mrgreen:
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

If we want to be challenged by a more difficult schedule, staying in the CAA will not get us there. Every move that Joey D. makes reinforces that.

Let's all take a deep breath and realize that this will take some more time, and more bumps in the road.

The stadium and crowd, along with the weather was good today.

If we have a game on Saturday, I will be there. As was said by others, let's get to 9 wins.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and count your blessings.
#JUST WIN
DCHen97 2.0
UD Class: 1997

Post by DCHen97 2.0 »

My two takeaways from today:

On our record, I keep hearing Kevin Pollack’s Lt. Weinberg in A Few Good Men “They beat up on a weakling; that's all they did…why because he couldn’t run very fast”

JMU may have lost but Joe Jonas was out at the JMU bars last night. Like ‘em or not, that school has got some hot streak going
Last edited by DCHen97 2.0 on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

jd of de wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:59 pm
Caldwell Chicken wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:32 pm
Hengrad07 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:31 pm What happened to Marker? Couldn't see from the other stands? Couldnt even see a hit?
From our seats…late hit out of bounds. It is his knee. My guess would be ACL.
It was a late hit. Saw it as well.
I didn't really think the hit was late - maybe the guy continued the hit as they went out of bounds, but the hit started in bounds. From what I could see, I was a little upset that the sideline didn't protect him more - for a home sideline, no one seemed ready to catch him and hold him up. Some weren't even watching. Couple that with the other QB getting hurt by tripping over the down marker and it was an amazing non-home field advantage that led to two QB's getting hurt.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Firstand10BlueHens
UD Class: 2005

Post by Firstand10BlueHens »

Their run game was going to be tough regardless. But the game went sideways in pretty much every aspect with an OL injury, 2 QBs injured and pretty much no calls from the ref to go our way. I think Nick M could be pretty good but he was clearly lost for a good portion of the game and we were afraid to throw it long with the wind.

Hopefully O'conner can make it back next week. I think we could have been much more competitive with our starters.
Warrior Hen

Post by Warrior Hen »

Without our number 1 or 2 quarterback; we are dead in water.
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

Warrior Hen wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:45 pm Without our number 1 or 2 quarterback; we are dead in water.
I agree. Unfortunately injuries just keep adding up!