Saddler HOF

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
DaveB
UD Class: 1993

Saddler HOF

Post by DaveB »

Nice to see him get the recognition.

https://x.com/udbluehens/status/1720604 ... 56763?s=46
finpxz1

Re: Saddler HOF

Post by finpxz1 »

Devon was certainly one of the all-time great Blue Hens. Side by side with Pegues as the 2 best to ever put on the blue and gold in mens hoops.
UDEL Fear the Bird

Post by UDEL Fear the Bird »

DaveB wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:45 pm Nice to see him get the recognition.

Well deserved. Definitely one of the best to put on a UD bball jersey. Pretty much unstoppable 1 on 1 when he drove to the basket. Shame Monte Ross was such a bad game day coach. With all of the talent on the roster during that time, UD should have had multiple NCAA Torny appearances when he was playing instead of just one.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

UDEL Fear the Bird wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:42 am

Well deserved. Definitely one of the best to put on a UD bball jersey. Pretty much unstoppable 1 on 1 when he drove to the basket. Shame Monte Ross was such a bad game day coach. With all of the talent on the roster during that time, UD should have had multiple NCAA Torny appearances when he was playing instead of just one.
And the know it all's speak again!!!! He should have had maybe 2 that's a big maybe!!!! Monte was not a great coach. But He was also with ZERO support from his superiors.

I love putting this out there cause of all the responses,

A current D1 NCAA coach told me, "Monte deserves a statue out front of the BOB for what He did at UD with no support his last few years!!!"
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

All that being said: Congrats to one of the Hen ALL-TIME greats!!!!!!

Well deserved!!!!!!!
UDEL Fear the Bird

UDPat wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:07 am

And the know it all's speak again!!!! He should have had maybe 2 that's a big maybe!!!! Monte was not a great coach. But He was also with ZERO support from his superiors.

A current D1 NCAA coach told me, "Monte deserves a statue out front of the BOB for what He did at UD with no support his last few years!!!"
What does administrative support have to do with being a good game day coach? Monte was great at recruiting but you would have to be blind to think he was a good game day coach. The offense was no motion and clear out for Saddler. :lol: There is a reason why it took Monte so long to get another D1 head coaching job after he left. I look forward to UD’s demolition of NC A&T this year.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Rafferty (sp?) was the great recruiter. He was relentless.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

UDEL Fear the Bird wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:56 pm

What does administrative support have to do with being a good game day coach? Monte was great at recruiting but you would have to be blind to think he was a good game day coach. The offense was no motion and clear out for Saddler. :lol: There is a reason why it took Monte so long to get another D1 head coaching job after he left. I look forward to UD’s demolition of NC A&T this year.
Don't let facts get in your way, After UD screwed up his contract extension, Monte had 2 years of pay so why work when his kids were in HS and He had other endeavors going(flipping houses). He watched his kids thru HS and then took the Temple ASSOC Head Coach job(newsflash: pays way more than UD Head Coach)

Did I say He was a great coach??? Nope, Learn how to read.

If you know nothing about having support of your superiors in a role, you are lucky, most of us need that.

I'll take the word of an established D1 Coach over someone who knows nothing: YOU!!!!!!! I have some bias but I don't let that get in the way of facts.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Ross a “great” basketball coach?

Nope.

Ross a “good” basketball coach?

Nope.

Ross deserves a statue in front of the Bob?

Nope.

Participation trophies…statues…in general, for achieving what, exactly…or for having a bad boss?

Nope. (Not even for Keeler)

Thought Ross was a decent enough guy in the times I had conversations with him. But, he was a horrible game day coach and a poor coach overall.

Good luck to him in his new gig.

Congrats to Saddler…he not only played well, he brought in a missing piece. Kudos to him and his HOF recognition. 👍
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

It was great to see Devon at the HOF event. He, deservedly, had quite the support group there.

I'm sure that Monte is a great guy, and that he certainly has friends in the industry that are big supporters.

I'll never forget his laughable inability to have the team figure out how to inbound the ball under pressure. To his credit, he allowed an assistant to figure it out and explain it to him. The contract extension he got was pretty supportive.

I wish him well, except against us.

Congratulations to Devon. I'll never forget that Baltimore CAA tournament!
#JUST WIN
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Info Hound wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:57 am It was great to see Devon at the HOF event. He, deservedly, had quite the support group there.

I'm sure that Monte is a great guy, and that he certainly has friends in the industry that are big supporters.

I'll never forget his laughable inability to have the team figure out how to inbound the ball under pressure. To his credit, he allowed an assistant to figure it out and explain it to him. The contract extension he got was pretty supportive.

I wish him well, except against us.

Congratulations to Devon. I'll never forget that Baltimore CAA tournament!
Those were 3 great days!!!!!!!! Esp the last 1 min and 17 seconds!!!!!!
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:23 am Ross a “great” basketball coach?

Nope.

Ross a “good” basketball coach?

Nope.

Ross deserves a statue in front of the Bob?

Nope.

Participation trophies…statues…in general, for achieving what, exactly…or for having a bad boss?

Nope. (Not even for Keeler)

Thought Ross was a decent enough guy in the times I had conversations with him. But, he was a horrible game day coach and a poor coach overall.

Good luck to him in his new gig.

Congrats to Saddler…he not only played well, he brought in a missing piece. Kudos to him and his HOF recognition. 👍
Cluck, Everyone is allowed their own opinions and I welcome it, even guys that have an opinion on EVERYTHNG, :wink:

I know what I know and I don't think Monte deserves a statue either, but I still wonder what could have been.

I will still the value the opinion(I am also sure He doesn't think a statue is warranted) of that Coach and the POINT He was making not the actual words. I certainly value it more than 99% of those that post here.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

In a nutshell…Monte is a good guy but not a very good coach. Wish him well at NC A&T…except when he’s playing the Hens!!!
UDEL Fear the Bird

UDPat wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:11 am
UDEL Fear the Bird wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:56 pm

Don't let facts get in your way, After UD screwed up his contract extension, Monte had 2 years of pay so why work when his kids were in HS and He had other endeavors going(flipping houses). He watched his kids thru HS and then took the Temple ASSOC Head Coach job(newsflash: pays way more than UD Head Coach)

Did I say He was a great coach??? Nope, Learn how to read.

If you know nothing about having support of your superiors in a role, you are lucky, most of us need that.

I'll take the word of an established D1 Coach over someone who knows nothing: YOU!!!!!!! I have some bias but I don't let that get in the way of facts.
Did Monte somehow take over UDPat’s account and start using it as a burner? If not, you must be one of the biggest Ross apologists of all time. The D1 coach who you keep mentioning is probably friends with Monte if he is talking about building a statue for him so I’m sure there is no bias there. :roll: You keep on talking about facts but don’t actually provide any really so here are some facts for you:

1. Monte’s record at UD was 132-184 (.418) which is bad
2. Monte had 3 winning seasons during his 10 years at UD (All 3 of his winning seasons were during the time Saddler was at UD)
3. Monte had a losing record in conference games 79-100
4. Significant upgrades were made to the Bob when Monte was coach so Monte definitely got no support during this time. :roll: TBH I am surprised that this actually got done considering how much Harker and Ziady did not seem to care about UD sports at all.

Monte did not get another contract extension because he is a mediocre coach overall at best.
Henway

Post by Henway »

I've got my popcorn ready !! :lol: :wink:
popcorn.jpg
popcorn.jpg (3.92 KiB) Viewed 645 times