Delaware to Conference USA?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
mainejeff

Delaware to Conference USA?

Post by mainejeff »

This rumor seems to be gaining traction in places other than William & Mary message boards......
Tribe4SF
UD Class: 0

Re: Delaware to Conference USA?

Post by Tribe4SF »

Like where?
Roll Tribe!!!
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Jeff,

I haven't been following as closely as some, but I posted in one of these threads last week that going to ConUSA is a done deal???

Now I can't say it's a rock solid source but one of the individuals is a Delaware HS Athletic Director.

Still see the BEST TE in Maine Football history from time to time. Great football player, a Better Person!!!!!!!
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

Think a potential Sam Houston visit to Delaware Stadium would be a hit at the box office?
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

UD '01 grad wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:19 am Think a potential Sam Houston visit to Delaware Stadium would be a hit at the box office?
Maybe not. The last time UD raised ticket prices (as "moving up" will certainly bring), 20% of the season ticket holders walked away. Perhaps it's a good thing that attendance at games will have almost nothing to do with going FBS.
mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

UDPat wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:57 am Jeff,

I haven't been following as closely as some, but I posted in one of these threads last week that going to ConUSA is a done deal???

Now I can't say it's a rock solid source but one of the individuals is a Delaware HS Athletic Director.

Still see the BEST TE in Maine Football history from time to time. Great football player, a Better Person!!!!!!!
He was a good one!

I believe the C-USA move is immenent…just a matter of when it is announced. CAA looking at High Point and Fairfield tells me CAA Football as we know it might be on life support….could start a chain reaction of mutliple moves including formation of new FCS entity in the East.
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

Third ask is the charm, I guess...

Given the university's general view of itself, what it values, and who it wants to be associated with, I'm *really* surprised that UD would be willing to associate itself with Liberty and a bunch of schools in Texas, Louisiana, and New Mexico...and one that the next closest travel option to Liberty is Kennesaw St.

Should we get out of CAA? Yes.

For Conference USA? Um...I think we can do better (or at least more stable) in our jump conference home. If this is where we're going, hopefully we can quickly find a way to worm into the Sun Belt or MAC instead.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

tomdawg00022 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:55 amFor Conference USA? Um...I think we can do better (or at least more stable) in our jump conference home. If this is where we're going, hopefully we can quickly find a way to worm into the Sun Belt or MAC instead.
CUSA would be a dramatic improvement over the current CAA.

If CUSA is the choice, it's because it's the best available option at this time with an implicit understanding that it might not be a permanent home. There may also be other schools in the region coming along with us when we go.

Let's see what happens.
tomdawg00022

Post by tomdawg00022 »

CUSA would be a dramatic improvement over the current CAA.
From a FBS, not FCS standpoint and "games no longer on FloSports" standpoint, absolutely. But it's a poorly run conference if we're honest about it with ourselves for reasons that have been rehashed.

I don't think this moves the needle dramatically within the Blue Hen fanbase. I can't see there being much interest in seeing Jacksonville St. and Florida International on the docket. Sam Houston (because of Keeler), maybe?

Given CUSA is the only mid major FBS league with a grant of rights (for now), we'll probably be stuck for a while and I'm not sure we're going to want to pay another $x million to jump conferences just after paying $5 mil to move up.

There's also that pesky issue of parking several sports that CUSA doesn't sponsor.
jrk
UD Class: 2012

Post by jrk »

Might not be too bad if they convince some other east coast schools (UMass, UConn, Nova, W&M) to join. Could only see Delaware and these schools joining if it was football only, however. Makes no sense to join as a full member to me.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

jrk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:30 am Might not be too bad if they convince some other east coast schools (UMass, UConn, Nova, W&M) to join. Could only see Delaware and these schools joining if it was football only, however. Makes no sense to join as a full member to me.
Only from a football viewpoint. If Hoops isn't part of the decision, The University is stupider than I thought.

IMHO: Hoops should be just as important in any conference affiliation decision the UD makes.
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

mainejeff wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:35 am
I believe the C-USA move is immenent…just a matter of when it is announced. .
What a nightmare if true as Delaware still has some work to do at the FCS level

Huntsville is not as nice Hampton
The Stadium is just as empty
And FBS Sammy even relatively worse than FCS Hampton

Beam me up
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Post by Steve1981 »

jrk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:30 am Might not be too bad if they convince some other east coast schools (UMass, UConn, Nova, W&M) to join. Could only see Delaware and these schools joining if it was football only, however. Makes no sense to join as a full member to me.
Our president has said no to CUSA all sports. Does not want to be associated with recent universities adds profiles.
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

I'd rather go MAC than C-USA. I'd be willing to continue funding the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission to be able to reasonably drive to a few away games.

Either one should only be a stepping stone to Sunbelt East or AAC (or a future Northeastern-based G5), which would actually move the needle at Delaware Stadium.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

Maybe the University needs to look into acquiring a plane or at least a long term charter. Moving up means a lot more travel. PS. how does anyone feel about playing on the week nights?