Article Blasting KT on the Hampton/FBS Move Piece

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Re: Article Blasting KT on the Hampton/FBS Move Piece

Post by 77HEN »

bluehenbillk wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:22 pm Actually I thought the dude wrote a good article. Yea it had a racial angle with the neighborhood comment but it was entertaining otherwise
Ok, Agreed but I agree with the author that KT did not choose his words wisely in the earl part about the neighborhood. UD, through it’s long term procrastination, still does not have any clear options to move on up.
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:52 pm
Housthen18 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:00 pm It's OK for the authors to point out that the phrase "there goes the neighborhood" has potentially insensitive connotations
yes, it's ok to acknowledge it, but also be honest in the reporting that the comment in no way shape or form referencing race at all!
I honestly agree with you, Bmore. Trying to pick my battles and move on to what I found was the much more egregious aspect - the implication that it is somehow racist for UD to not want to remain in a conference with Hampton for reasons related to athletic competitiveness and institutional stature.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

The guy that wrote the second article even brings up the UD - DSU rivalry or lack thereof. He says he’s from Delaware and worked at the N-J, hasn’t he seen any of these games? Not much of a rivalry.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

My issue is, his opinion is guaranteed posted on Campbell's locker room wall and it will remain there for 3 weeks. Write your opinion and leave Campbell out of it or wait until after the Campbell game to voice your opinion. It's guaranteed we have a target on our back that game and the Camels will be hungry and energized.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

jd of de wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:23 pmMy issue is, his opinion is guaranteed posted on Campbell's locker room wall and it will remain there for 3 weeks. Write your opinion and leave Campbell out of it or wait until after the Campbell game to voice your opinion. It's guaranteed we have a target on our back that game and the Camels will be hungry and energized.
If it takes a columnist's article to pump up a football team and not the fact that the Blue Hens want to come into their place and steal their lunches, than Campbell's in real trouble. Point is they should already be motivated enough as a conference newcomer to want to knock off one of the CAA's stalwarts and top dogs. Kevin's piece isn't gonna matter one single bit.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:34 am
jd of de wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:23 pmMy issue is, his opinion is guaranteed posted on Campbell's locker room wall and it will remain there for 3 weeks. Write your opinion and leave Campbell out of it or wait until after the Campbell game to voice your opinion. It's guaranteed we have a target on our back that game and the Camels will be hungry and energized.
If it takes a columnist's article to pump up a football team and not the fact that the Blue Hens want to come into their place and steal their lunches, than Campbell's in real trouble. Point is they should already be motivated enough as a conference newcomer to want to knock off one of the CAA's stalwarts and top dogs. Kevin's piece isn't gonna matter one single bit.
Yea, right :lol: :lol: :lol: Coaching staffs have used stuff like this for decades because it works, and one of the masters was Tubby Raymond. TR would use any slight or lack of respect, and every poster here can tell a story of when it worked.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

jd of de wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:36 amCoaching staffs have used stuff like this for decades because it works, and one of the masters was Tubby Raymond.
Oh, I didn't say coaches won't use whatever tools they have to motivate their teams; just that media pieces are likely to have little to no impact on actual games and that so many other factors play bigger roles in outcomes. I've never known a sports column to have defeated a team on the field of play. Team prep, practice, ability, and coaching are the difference makers.

Hope you're not advocating that members of the media shouldn't do their jobs for fear it could potentially provide the smallest possible motivation for actors in the real world. That would be a rather bizarre opinion.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

KT’s article was right on the money about the CAA. Anyone that knows him, even a little, and that should include the dope that wrote the second article, would know there was zero racial intent in his “there goes the neighborhood” comment. Anyway, folks gotta get outraged about something these days. With what is happening in the world today, this shouldn’t even register.
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Hens79 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:14 am KT’s article was right on the money about the CAA. Anyone that knows him, even a little, and that should include the dope that wrote the second article, would know there was zero racial intent in his “there goes the neighborhood” comment. Anyway, folks gotta get outraged about something these days. With what is happening in the world today, this shouldn’t even register.
I spoke with KT last night at the UD hoops event and he said exactly that about racial intent. One reason he included the other two non-HBCU schools in the article was to allay allegations of bias. I guess it didn’t work for the writer.
You are absolutely correct in saying if you know Tres even a little bit, the writer is way off base.

I can see though how the writer could jump to his conclusion based on UD’s past poor track record of recruiting non-athletic persons of color to the school and years of resistance to playing Delaware State in football. Not saying he’s correct only putting myself in his shoes as a distant observer.

And I’m certainly not agreeing with the writer.
bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk »

To be fair KT used the phrase, it’s like saying the N word, no matter what context you may try to use around it, it’s still the spoken (or printed) word.
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

mpwerrell wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:58 am
Hens79 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:14 am KT’s article was right on the money about the CAA. Anyone that knows him, even a little, and that should include the dope that wrote the second article, would know there was zero racial intent in his “there goes the neighborhood” comment. Anyway, folks gotta get outraged about something these days. With what is happening in the world today, this shouldn’t even register.
I spoke with KT last night at the UD hoops event and he said exactly that about racial intent. One reason he included the other two non-HBCU schools in the article was to allay allegations of bias. I guess it didn’t work for the writer.
You are absolutely correct in saying if you know Tres even a little bit, the writer is way off base.

I can see though how the writer could jump to his conclusion based on UD’s past poor track record of recruiting non-athletic persons of color to the school and years of resistance to playing Delaware State in football. Not saying he’s correct only putting myself in his shoes as a distant observer.

And I’m certainly not agreeing with the writer.
Yeah, it has zero to do with past track record of UD not playing in Delaware State and all that B.S.. It has everything to do with the media, trying to invoke race in everything regardless and at all costs…
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

bluehenbillk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:17 pm To be fair KT used the phrase, it’s like saying the N word, no matter what context you may try to use around it, it’s still the spoken (or printed) word.
If you say so…
bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk »

Hey, some people will take offense to certain things, others not so much. Surprised at the people that get surprised about this..
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

bluehenbillk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:17 pm To be fair KT used the phrase, it’s like saying the N word, no matter what context you may try to use around it, it’s still the spoken (or printed) word.
To be fairer, It isn’t even in the same universe as using the N word. All slight, slurs etc … aren’t equal. And in this case, context surely matters. But KT Including Campbell couldn’t satisfy everyone nor should should he even try. But he did. I don’t look for what many think is a “liberal rag” to take any action against KT, at least I hope they don’t.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Like using the N word? Most ridiculous thing I've read on here in a very long time especially if you know the writer at all.