Future of UD Football Poll

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Where would you like to see UD go?

Prefer to stay FCS. No interest in FBS, I love the playoff system and would rather dominate here.
17%
Give me FBS, don’t care how. I’d be completely fine with going independent.
14%
Want to go FBS but we need a plan, whether that’s the MAC, Conf USA, etc.
65%
Other, please comment below.
4%

Total votes: 109

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Re: Future of UD Football Poll

Post by Caribbean Hen »

HensRock wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:44 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:29 am This is the best poll I can ever remember on gohens

Actually the kind of poll that “the administration” might look at, not to mention some of the other Fan message boards and even the media… just wait

The results are not surprising at all and the way the question were written have absolutely nothing to do with the way people are voting

UDforever
Thanks for doing the poll
I concur. Great poll!
And the wording is fine. I was mostly referring to other polls we've had here that were very leading, and someone was obviously trying to push an agenda.
This one is actually pretty unbiased in that regard. I just took issue with the "dominate here" phrase, because we are not.
Gotcha

I’m thinking when he said dominate …it was a forward looking thought into the bright future and not looking back into the lost decade… just a guess
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Staying in the current Coastal AA is not sustainable. This FB schedule is abominable and there is no prospect for improvement. Either bust out with other remaining traditional members of the Colonial or go FBS. Simple as that. But don’t expect anything bold at all from UD; the university is afraid of its own shadow.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

HensRock wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:18 amI like (real) Playoffs.
I like starting each season with at least the possibility of winning a National Championship.
I like the prospect of knocking off one of the "big boys" of College Football every once in a while.

I do not like college football on Weekday nights.
I do not like meaningless "Toilet" Bowl games.
I do not like how watered down FCS has become.

My ideal would be for the NCAA to introduce a new D-I subdivision between current FCS and FBS which only includes scholarship programs (maybe they must sponsor at least 40 and no more than 65 scholarship equivalencies, for instance). And there is a playoff system to determine a champion.
Rocky, your "likes" simply don't match up with the modern realities facing our beloved Blue & Gold.

I like starting each season with at least the possibility of winning a National Championship.
I get it. Who doesn't? But the competitive value of winning an FCS championship is arguably nil, and there's little revenue to be had in the process. Delaware now loses money hosting playoff games. Arguably, the fact that the NCAA has watered down their tournament so much by inviting 24 teams makes the regular season - you know, the games the university depends on for ticket revenue? - less meaningful AND less profitable. Delaware drew 4,629 souls to its last playoff game. Apparently, not many others cared enough about the possibility of winning an FCS trophy.

I like the prospect of knocking off one of the "big boys" of College Football every once in a while.
When was the last time I-AA/FCS Delaware knocked off a "big boy"? (Are you counting 4-8 Navy as a "big boy"?!) Do you think the chances of fairly competing with the Bigs increase or decrease with 22 more scholarships? There's also the financial impact of playing FBS games. UD gets half or less than half of what they'd take in playing G5 schools as an FBS program.

I understand, but that's not the reality facing us. UD has already been playing one weeknight game a season for many years. That number won't increase dramatically as an FBS program, though those weeknight games will likely be broadcast to a wider audience than what FLO can hope to reach.

It's a matter of preference. Our own Harold Rupert wasn't a fan of the playoffs; he preferred bowl games. Just like the FCS playoffs, the games aren't meaningless to the teams and many fans. At a minimum, it's another opportunity to showcase the program on a national linear TV platform. UD very seldom gets that opportunity now with the NCAA's D-I's Developmental League playoffs.

My ideal would be for the NCAA to introduce a new D-I subdivision between current FCS and FBS...
Maybe that happens someday or maybe it doesn't. In the meantime and back in the real world, UD's got to do what it can to get more eyeballs on the football program, more fannies in the seats, more cash flowing in, and more talent to sustain competitiveness. If the last 20 years should have told you anything, it's that the FCS just ain't gonna work in Newark, Delaware anymore. Too much has changed.
BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:05 am
HensRock wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:18 amI like (real) Playoffs.

I do not like how watered down FCS has become.

My ideal would be for the NCAA to introduce a new D-I subdivision between current FCS and FBS which only includes scholarship programs (maybe they must sponsor at least 40 and no more than 65 scholarship equivalencies, for instance). And there is a playoff system to determine a champion.
Rocky, your "likes" simply don't match up with the modern realities facing our beloved Blue & Gold.

I get it. Who doesn't? But the competitive value of winning an FCS championship is arguably nil, and there's little revenue to be had in the process. Delaware now loses money hosting playoff games. Arguably, the fact that the NCAA has watered down their tournament so much by inviting 24 teams makes the regular season - you know, the games the university depends on for ticket revenue? - less meaningful AND less profitable. Delaware drew 4,629 souls to its last playoff game. Apparently, not many others cared enough about the possibility of winning an FCS trophy.

When was the last time I-AA/FCS Delaware knocked off a "big boy"? (Are you counting 4-8 Navy as a "big boy"?!) Do you think the chances of fairly competing with the Bigs increase or decrease with 22 more scholarships? There's also the financial impact of playing FBS games. UD gets half or less than half of what they'd take in playing G5 schools as an FBS program.

I understand, but that's not the reality facing us. UD has already been playing one weeknight game a season for many years. That number won't increase dramatically as an FBS program, though those weeknight games will likely be broadcast to a wider audience than what FLO can hope to reach.

It's a matter of preference. Our own Harold Rupert wasn't a fan of the playoffs; he preferred bowl games. Just like the FCS playoffs, the games aren't meaningless to the teams and many fans. At a minimum, it's another opportunity to showcase the program on a national linear TV platform. UD very seldom gets that opportunity now with the NCAA's D-I's Developmental League playoffs.

My ideal would be for the NCAA to introduce a new D-I subdivision between current FCS and FBS...
Maybe that happens someday or maybe it doesn't. In the meantime and back in the real world, UD's got to do what it can to get more eyeballs on the football program, more fannies in the seats, more cash flowing in, and more talent to sustain competitiveness. If the last 20 years should have told you anything, it's that the FCS just ain't gonna work in Newark, Delaware anymore. Too much has changed.
I made my statement previously. I indicated go FBS with a plan. My opinion was based in no small part on the belief that UD has been backed into a corner with FBS. You raise some good points many of which I agree with. However if the UD would remain FCS the question remains who the UD would partner up with to create another FCS conference in our geographic confines- UNH, Nova, William and Mary, Richmond, etc. As I said I certainly don't like weekday football- limits who would attend games. people who still work, kids, etc. I don't like playing in a crummy bowl game either.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

For the 80% of us that feel FBS is the way to go, we should probably consider having an FBS mentality as fans.

That would include supporting:

www.bluehencollective.com

www.twitter.com/bluehenNIL
#JUST WIN
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

Beware all poll authors!!!

You can't have an opinion when making a poll for all to enjoy.

This means you!!!!!

Nobody forces anyone what choice to select. Select what you want. Or don't vote. It's all up to you and in the eye of the beholder.

What have we learned from the recent polls?

Maybe changes with stadium music are due and maybe it's time to move on from FCS/CAA football. It's likely all shouting at clouds anyway, but at least your opinion can be voiced.

Would love someone to tell me my agenda behind the Delaware State Game and Nolan Henderson/Top-5 polls. It is Halloween season, but nuanced answers don't have to be spooky. Otherwise, every poll would be YES or NO.
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

What are the students saying about a move up to FBS and potentially joining the MAC East? The weakest rated Division in FBS according to Massey… are they all fired up?

What about the fans that turned their backs on Delaware football… will they be coming back

Are the fans going to get a piece of the ESPN money?

Fans getting any NIL deals?

Is there a way to drive to Ohio that doesn’t pass through Pennsylvania

Is UD going to tell the fans they can use the ESPN TV money to reduce the cost of the tickets or parking, free beer

Will UD use one of the extra 22 scholarships on a high school student because of achievement in HS that doesn’t involve athletics

Will UD have the cajones to say adios to the RT 1 rivalry

Will the fans really be able to see the difference between New Hampshire and Kent St players….. OMG these Kent St players are just so much better stronger and faster …

For UD, I get why it’s time to leave FCS but what’s really in this for the fan with no real emotional or financial investment in UD? Speaking only for myself and clearly in the minority, it’s always been about football. This move is clearly not for the fans

I do like what Hensrock mentioned and that would be a playoff system put into whatever the next level is going to be
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:01 am What are the students saying about a move up to FBS and potentially joining the MAC East? The weakest rated Division in FBS according to Massey… are they all fired up?

What about the fans that turned their backs on Delaware football… will they be coming back

Is UD going to tell the fans they can use the ESPN TV money to reduce the cost of the tickets or parking, free beer

Will UD use one of the extra 22 scholarships on a high school student because of achievement in HS that doesn’t involve athletics

Will the fans really be able to see the difference between New Hampshire and Kent St players….. OMG these Kent St players are just so much better stronger and faster …

For UD, I get why it’s time to leave FCS but what’s really in this for the fan with no real emotional or financial investment in UD? Speaking only for myself and clearly in the minority, it’s always been about football. This move is clearly not for the fans

I do like what Hensrock mentioned and that would be a playoff system put into whatever the next level is going to be
That! Master piece!
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J »

For me, the FBS ship has sailed. The institution not having the vision others did is something we will live with for a long long time. I'm also curious about what conference would want us if we continue to be the middle-of-the-road team in a degrading conference. If the current regime is able to raise the performance of the team consistently and make a few playoff runs then I'm on board, other than that.................
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:01 am What are the students saying about a move up to FBS and potentially joining the MAC East? The weakest rated Division in FBS according to Massey… are they all fired up?

81% of the fans on here are voting that they want to move to FBS, yet you contend that moving to FBS is "clearly not for the fans". Huh?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

Gannonfan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:07 am

81% of the fans on here are voting that they want to move to FBS, yet you contend that moving to FBS is "clearly not for the fans". Huh?
Yeah. Not one of CH’s best posts on a lot of levels. If there was ever a crew that would want to stay in FCS, the predominate gohens demographic would be it.

And if it just “about football”, whatever that really means, UD should go none scholarship and make the St Francis and Duquesne games the biggest ones of the year. We’ll see how many “fans” show up for that.
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Hens79 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:15 am

Yeah. Not one of CH’s best posts on a lot of levels. If there was ever a crew that would want to stay in FCS, the predominate gohens demographic would be it.

And if it just “about football”, whatever that really means, UD should go none scholarship and make the St Francis and Duquesne games the biggest ones of the year. We’ll see how many “fans” show up for that.
No no no 79, I was purposely not posting that on “a lot of levels”, only from a fans perspective. Are you going to tell me you’re not emotionally and financially invested in the U of Delaware and that doesn’t influence your vote?

What’s in this for Joe the fan?

I did mention I understand why in the big picture it’s the right move. As a fan only with absolutely no attachment to the U of Delaware, it just doesn’t do anything for me personally… sorry

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:32 am

No no no 79, I was purposely not posting that on “a lot of levels”, only from a fans perspective. Are you going to tell me you’re not emotionally and financially invested in the U of Delaware and that doesn’t influence your vote?

I did mention I understand why in the big picture it’s the right move. As a fan only with absolutely no attachment to the U of Delaware, it just doesn’t do anything for me personally… sorry
I still don't get it. For Joe the fan, at almost every level, the attendance of a higher level of football is typically higher than that of the lower level of football (understand there are outliers at every level, but speaking in the aggregate here). D2 schools generally get more fans that D3, FCS gets more than D2, and FBS gets more than FCS. At any level, it's still "just football", but that would seem to be a pretty decent argument that fans do get something out of and generally gravitate more towards FBS football
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

CH, it is okay if FBS it doesn’t do it for you. But you are clearly in the minority.

And I should have been more clear. Many of the questions you posited were pretty nonsensical and did zero to support you nutty proposition of “what is in it for the fans” and why the move to FBS is apparently happening. That is my longer answer than GF’s “huh?”
Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan »

Hens79 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:46 am

CH, it is okay if FBS it doesn’t do it for you. But you are clearly in the minority.

And I should have been more clear. Many of the questions you posited were pretty nonsensical and did zero to support you nutty proposition of “what is in it for the fans” and why the move to FBS is apparently happening. That is my longer answer than GF’s “huh?”
I thought "huh" covered it pretty well. :lol: