Future of UD Football Poll

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Where would you like to see UD go?

Prefer to stay FCS. No interest in FBS, I love the playoff system and would rather dominate here.
17%
Give me FBS, don’t care how. I’d be completely fine with going independent.
14%
Want to go FBS but we need a plan, whether that’s the MAC, Conf USA, etc.
65%
Other, please comment below.
4%

Total votes: 109

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Re: Future of UD Football Poll

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Hens79 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:46 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:32 am
Hens79 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:15 am

Yeah. Not one of CH’s best posts on a lot of levels. If there was ever a crew that would want to stay in FCS, the predominate gohens demographic would be it.

And if it just “about football”, whatever that really means, UD should go none scholarship and make the St Francis and Duquesne games the biggest ones of the year. We’ll see how many “fans” show up for that.
No no no 79, I was purposely not posting that on “a lot of levels”, only from a fans perspective. Are you going to tell me you’re not emotionally and financially invested in the U of Delaware and that doesn’t influence your vote?

What’s in this for Joe the fan?

I did mention I understand why in the big picture it’s the right move. As a fan only with absolutely no attachment to the U of Delaware, it just doesn’t do anything for me personally… sorry
CH, it is okay if FBS it doesn’t do it for you. But you are clearly in the minority.

And I should have been more clear. Many of the questions you posited were pretty nonsensical and did zero to support you nutty proposition of “what is in it for the fans” and why the move to FBS is apparently happening. That is my longer answer than GF’s “huh?”
CH said
“Speaking only for myself and clearly in the minority, it’s always been about football”

79 reminds CH only minutes later
“You are clearly in the minority.”

79, Yea I get Im in the minority and yes some of those questions were in jest but you or the other poster haven’t really answered the basic question

What’s really in this for Joe the fan?
If the answer is we’ll be playing LIU and Marist then let’s get to that Mid level and not get stuck with that, that I agree
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

There CH. You answered your own question. It wasn’t even worth asking or even answering because it is a given. But glad you did anyway with the obvious answer.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

UD '01 grad wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:59 pm
Hens79 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:03 pm
HensRock wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:38 pm I'm not a fan of polls with overly-wordy descriptions of each choice, they are almost ALWAYS leading the audience to make a particular choice.
Saying "...and would rather dominate here", makes it sound like we want to be a big fish in a small pond. We're not.
Maybe if we actually were "dominating" at this level the wording would make sense. I think as written it may lead people away from this choice.

I would actually favor a Championship Subdivision (meaning Playoffs) that included the current top tier of FCS and lower tier of FBS.
You must be thinking of 01s polls. Talk about leading questions and not disguising what he thinks and wants. This one is pretty clear. If there isn’t a majority or even a significant number of folks on gohens wanting to stay in FCS, it is highly likely it is because there are in the minority.

And your desire is a 100% non starter. It is barely a fantasy.

But yeah. Let’s make the polls as simple as possible. How about:

- Stay in FCS or go to FBS.

But if more choices are desired:

-Go to FBS ASAP (1-2 years) even as an Independent

-Go to FBS but need to accomplish more at FCS first and only to a conference

-Stay in FCS

And on “game day experience” how about?

-Love it. No changes needed.

-Like it but with some tweaks, e.g. turn down the volume of the piped in music and have the band play more.

-Don’t really care.

-Don’t like it. Many changes needed in addition to those for option 2.

-Hate it. Start over.
"01s polls precisely capture the mood of Blue Hen Nation, offer balanced choices and are the only reason I click on Go Hens."

Signed,
:lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:01 am

Is there a way to drive to Ohio that doesn’t pass through Pennsylvania

Ahem....

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/L ... 0.055..HTM

Chapter 55. - Title 42 - JUDICIARY AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURE
Neiman, 84 A.3d 603 (Pa. 2013). The unconstitutionality took effect March 17, 2014. 1992 Repeal. Act 97 repealed subsec. ... The period for running the statute of limitations for any subsequent claim seeking title by adverse possession under this section or section 5530 shall commence at a date not earlier than the date of the judgment granting ...
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:11 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:01 am

Is there a way to drive to Ohio that doesn’t pass through Pennsylvania

Ahem....
My last car trip from Northern Delaware to Zinzinnati involved a pass through the great states of Maryland and West Virginia. Came close but never did hit the Keystone State. Hear it's a nice place.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Folks, we went to various football bowls in the "golden" days.

Some fans, players and...ummm, winter beach goers, have great memories of the Boardwalk Bowls.

Heck, big-time college football was all about bowl games all over the country (with the majority of those games having zero to do with which team would win the national championship).

Voting decided national championships...often just popularity contests with ill-informed regional writers (who rarely saw the other national teams play - there was no ESPN back then) voting for their local teams. But, the bowls, big and small, were fun for those who went. Just ask Joe C.

It was nice to have a home playoff game last year, but, as some have noted...how many actually went? And, except for die-hard fans, who wants a second round game at some hard-to-reach distant school in the middle of nowhere (especially a cold weather, non-direct flight destination)?

I used to like playing for a natty. Still do. But, give me a shot, even a long one, at being one of the G5 teams in the real national championship? Oh yeah! And, the occasional warm weather bowl game as a consolation for finishing 6-6 or 7-5? Sign me up. :D

HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:29 pm I used to like playing for a natty. Still do. But, give me a shot, even a long one, at being one of the G5 teams in the real national championship? Oh yeah!
IN MY OPINION - It's not a long shot. It's no shot whatsoever. It will never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. There are forces at work to make sure it never happens. This is not like March Madness where a Cinderella team can break into the Final Four every now and then. There is way too much money and politics involved.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

HensRock wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:26 pm
Cluck U wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:29 pm I used to like playing for a natty. Still do. But, give me a shot, even a long one, at being one of the G5 teams in the real national championship? Oh yeah!
IN MY OPINION - It's not a long shot. It's no shot whatsoever. It will never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. There are forces at work to make sure it never happens. This is not like March Madness where a Cinderella team can break into the Final Four every now and then. There is way too much money and politics involved.
So wait, are you saying the college football playoff system that's supposed to take effect after this season (so for the 2024 season) isn't going to happen? Or that a G5 team couldn't win that many games in that new playoff system to reach the national title game?

Sure, if you bet the field against a G5 team winning the national title, I'm sure you'll win 99.99% of the time. But even then, winning one game, two games, or three games in the playoff system would be cool. Notre Dame's likely to play a lot of opening round games due to not belonging to a conference - I'd take a game in South Bend over a game in Frisco. And heck, if the first miracle happened and you made it to the quarters, I think we'd all agree playing in the Rose Bowl would be perhaps the top moment in UD history (except for the Cigar Bowl back in '47 of course).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

IF we are invited to and join the MAC, the following bowls currently have contracts with the MAC:

Bahamas
68 Ventures (Mobile, AL)
Famous Idaho Potato (Boise, ID)
Camellia (Montgomery, AL)
Quick Lane (Ford Field, Detroit)
Arizona (Tucson)

The two bowls below are where the MAC competes with other G5 conferences for a spot:

Myrtle Beach
Boca Raton
GhostOfThePeeWall

Post by GhostOfThePeeWall »

mpwerrell wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:21 pm IF we are invited to and join the MAC, the following bowls currently have contracts with the MAC:

Bahamas
68 Ventures (Mobile, AL)
Famous Idaho Potato (Boise, ID)
Camellia (Montgomery, AL)
Quick Lane (Ford Field, Detroit)
Arizona (Tucson)

The two bowls below are where the MAC competes with other G5 conferences for a spot:

Myrtle Beach
Boca Raton
All seem preferable to an outdoor below freezing drubbing in South Dakota or one of the Montana schools
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Hens79 wrote: There CH. You answered your own question. It wasn’t even worth asking or even answering because it is a given. But glad you did anyway with the obvious answer.
I guess I did but you know William & Mary and Nova are not really like Marist and LIU, so will our traditional rivals be coming with us? If not, they will be missed when we go FBS

The main question I asked is murky still. When people say it’s time for Delaware to start hanging around schools that are more like us… is that really about football ? Nope, it’s more about who some of our fans would prefer to rubbing elbows with
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:40 pm
Hens79 wrote: There CH. You answered your own question. It wasn’t even worth asking or even answering because it is a given. But glad you did anyway with the obvious answer.
I guess I did but you know William & Mary and Nova are not really like Marist and LIU, so will our traditional rivals be coming with us? If not, they will be missed when we go FBS

The main question I asked is murky still. When people say it’s time for Delaware to start hanging around schools that are more like us… is that really about football ? Nope, it’s more about who some of our fans would prefer to rubbing elbows with
W&M and nova, as FCS schools, still play FBS schools. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them on the schedule every now and then.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:40 pmI guess I did but you know William & Mary and Nova are not really like Marist and LIU, so will our traditional rivals be coming with us? If not, they will be missed when we go FBS
You mean no more visits to the tiny dump on the Main Line? Promise? I've also had more than enough of the Colonial theme park experience and Green Griffins' obstructed view/track-around-the-field stadia.

In all seriousness, new rivals await in a new conference. It'll also be great to see old rivals who have since moved to FBS come to Newark once in a while. We'll see.
Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:08 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:40 pmI guess I did but you know William & Mary and Nova are not really like Marist and LIU, so will our traditional rivals be coming with us? If not, they will be missed when we go FBS
You mean no more visits to the tiny dump on the Main Line? Promise? I've also had more than enough of the Colonial theme park experience and Green Griffins' obstructed view/track-around-the-field stadia.

In all seriousness, new rivals await in a new conference. It'll also be great to see old rivals who have since moved to FBS come to Newark once in a while. We'll see.
If I’m going to drive to a dump, I’d rather be there in an hour instead of driving 7 hours to a dump in Kent or Akron Ohio or anyplace named Miami thats not in Florida … just ugliness

Have a great time filling up your coffee cup at the corner Sheetz :lol:

jd of de

Post by jd of de »

The MAC has its dumps, trust me.

And it also has its share of empty seats too.