October 2023

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

October 2023

Post by tenn hen »

It's right around the corner, and we are 3-1 which included the one game we knew would probably be a tossup. My assessment is that's the good news as well as the overall good health of our squad( we assume, but really who knows ?).

I have innumerable other thoughts, but it's too soon to gauge where we are headed. Speaking of that we have no news about the facility upgrades/funding campaign. We have no news about our 2024 classification if any. We haven't heard about possible changes in our future schedule/possible conference to accommodate or simply make our schedule more appealing to our fans.

SO... will we learn anything over the next 5 weeks(unless heaven forbid we lose-bs about any trap game excuse)?
will attendance improve assuming improved weather conditions? It's a shame the NH game suffered due to that
factor which brings up another question I've been pondering= would the outcome with NH have been different under
normal September weather? In no way am I posturing it would have changed the outcome- obviously we'll never know
but it's food for thought. Maybe we'll face them again down the playoff road? If so, brutal COLD conditions might
benefit them due to their geographic affinity for suffering :wink:

Finally- It's a bummer that the month's upcoming games are so unappealing- who's responsible besides the CAA?
I'm assuming tailgating will dominate your Saturday's this early fall month. Buckle up and Drive safely
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: October 2023

Post by Cluck U »

I have it on good authority that the new facility upgrades will include a used snowmaking machine from Camelback. That will be a huge advantage when we play the southern teams.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Duquesne game is sold out. Parents & Family Weekend.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

77HEN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:39 am Duquesne game is sold out. Parents & Family Weekend.
Followed by Homecoming.

If we get decent weather, our two October home games should have solid attendance. Dukes should be a win and NCA&T has scored only 6, 16 and 3 points in their three games. Hampton and Towson should be wins…so we should be 7-1 when we return to Newark for Elon. If that doesn’t get the crowd out…
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Cluck U wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:53 am
77HEN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:39 am Duquesne game is sold out. Parents & Family Weekend.
Followed by Homecoming.

If we get decent weather, our two October home games should have solid attendance. Dukes should be a win and NCA&T has scored only 6, 16 and 3 points in their three games. Hampton and Towson should be wins…so we should be 7-1 when we return to Newark for Elon. If that doesn’t get the crowd out…
and Elon completely overpowered Campbell in first half, need to watch second half to see how Chicken noodle made the score respectable

Early impression was Elon will be a problem and Campbell is just another lil Darling
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
VIKING '87
UD Class: 1987

Post by VIKING '87 »

Would be nice to see every seat actually filled.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 »

tenn hen wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:27 am It's right around the corner, and we are 3-1 which included the one game we knew would probably be a tossup. My assessment is that's the good news as well as the overall good health of our squad( we assume, but really who knows ?).

I have innumerable other thoughts, but it's too soon to gauge where we are headed. Speaking of that we have no news about the facility upgrades/funding campaign. We have no news about our 2024 classification if any. We haven't heard about possible changes in our future schedule/possible conference to accommodate or simply make our schedule more appealing to our fans.

SO... will we learn anything over the next 5 weeks(unless heaven forbid we lose-bs about any trap game excuse)?
will attendance improve assuming improved weather conditions? It's a shame the NH game suffered due to that
factor which brings up another question I've been pondering= would the outcome with NH have been different under
normal September weather? In no way am I posturing it would have changed the outcome- obviously we'll never know
but it's food for thought. Maybe we'll face them again down the playoff road? If so, brutal COLD conditions might
benefit them due to their geographic affinity for suffering :wink:

Finally- It's a bummer that the month's upcoming games are so unappealing- who's responsible besides the CAA?
I'm assuming tailgating will dominate your Saturday's this early fall month. Buckle up and Drive safely
Are we really to expect any news on conference/schedule changes this year? I would think we won't get any news on that for a while. There simply isn't a good match for us in a different conference right now. We will be FCS in the CAA for several more years. We should win all 4 October games easily. Elon and Nova should be our only challenges remaining and we should beat both of them despite Elon matching up good against us with a power running game and NOVA somehow always having our number. Even if we lose them both we probably still make the playoffs.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Good post. UD should roll through the next 4 games, hopefully they stay healthy for the final 3 games.

Announcement? That’s a joke, the winter and spring teams would be pissed, as would the field hockey and volleyball teams as they’d all be ineligible for tournament play.

Wake me when there is a press conference….
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

This team has yet to demonstrate that it's capable of rolling anything or anyone.

"Football teams aren't born; they develop," as our late, great Coach Harold Rupert once opined. One game at a time.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:19 am This team has yet to demonstrate that it's capable of rolling anything or anyone.

"Football teams aren't born; they develop," as our late, great Coach Harold Rupert once opined. One game at a time.
I hear you. But our schedule is filled with bad teams, whether they were born that way or will remain undeveloped. The next 4 games should be layups. The last 3 will determine our playoff situation.

In any case, the offense is certainly light years ahead of the last decade and a lot more fun to watch. 👍

Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:34 amBut our schedule is filled with bad teams, whether they were born that way or will remain undeveloped. The next 4 games should be layups.
These statements are unquestioned, my friend. The real question is: "Is Delaware a good football team?" Soon to find out.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

I've read the responses- good to mainly view the majority of valid ones. I' not sure we will find out during the season if we are a really good football team. The PSU clubbing was no surprise. The wins over Stony Brook and St. Francis were unrevealing and expected since they like most CAA teams are unheralded. The win over NH was an nice accomplishment at a solid FCS team. .. But- how good are we? the next 4 games are gimmes. By the time the final 3 roll around we should know a little more of the quality of those apparently "quality" opponents.

I now find it difficult at the moment to get excited about UD football for at best the next 6 weeks. This feeling upsets me as I was anticipating a huge improvement from a second year HC. Acceptable so far- well hmmm..... sure, but...
Does our FCS ranking mean a heck of a lot? do our students care? is the atmosphere acceptable at home on Saturdays? :wink:
Will this season turn out to be just another teaser like we've recently been forced to endure with a mediocre ranking( Sagarin has us today at 145) among ALL college football teams ranking?

Many here are half satisfied with same old product and honestly dream of a higher level of competition.

It seems we can never get any answers from UD. We simply wait and wait. It's always TOO late and we miss the boat.

not ranting- just expressing my disappointment with how things have remained THE SAME- I've wanted higher goals athletically, but we remain the Blue Hens of the little first state. JMHO- sorry if this upsets the joy many feel with our FCS present rank/record in 2023. Don't shoot the messenger
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:53 am
Cluck U wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:34 amBut our schedule is filled with bad teams, whether they were born that way or will remain undeveloped. The next 4 games should be layups.
These statements are unquestioned, my friend. The real question is: "Is Delaware a good football team?" Soon to find out.
Postseason, we'll see how the annual "Did the 2023 season represent progress?" poll turns out. ... Always interesting comments there.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:53 am
Bluewyn Old

What is your definition of good ?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

Tenn- This team is a good team because they're 3-1 including a win over another good team in one difficult environment . If they go 9-2 and beat Nova we should all be happy campers and let the playoffs reveal how good a team we have . This season should tell a lot about our new head coach.

You ask the same questions over and over in different formats, on different days, weeks and months about the future and not only does no one on this board know the answer but also none will know until it happens.

How about taking the past advice and email Chrissi directly?