FBI - New Hampshire

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HENJOHN

Re: FBI - New Hampshire

Post by HENJOHN »

That type of reply and approach is hardly limited to our HC. Most Coaches today keep injury related issues close to the vest. Nobody was more secretive than Dave Brock. Some of us would ask at TD Club lunches about players that had been dinged the game before and he would let us have it for even asking.
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

HENJOHN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:39 am That type of reply and approach is hardly limited to our HC. Most Coaches today keep injury related issues close to the vest. Nobody was more secretive than Dave Brock. A couple of us asked at TD Club lunches about a player that had been dinged before and he would let us have it for even asking.

I'm not talking about Dave Brock or Nick Saban. I'm talking about our current coach who appears to be pissed every time he hears the word injury from anyone in the media. Yet, that's their job to ask.That simply . You already know that I had a contact with a certain key player last season and Ryan's comments about his injuries didn't always match up to the real story.

I've talked with some of our media friends and it's perplexing to them and also to us who want to know as much about our team as possible so don't be so sensitive when I nitpick Ryan. I just happened to listen to his CAA interview this morning and he was rude to Rich I thought.

It is what it is I guess but this is a message board that promotes opinions and mine is not a favorable one on that subject.

Didn't mean to hurt any feelings.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

HENJOHN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:39 am That type of reply and approach is hardly limited to our HC. Most Coaches today keep injury related issues close to the vest. Nobody was more secretive than Dave Brock. Some of us would ask at TD Club lunches about players that had been dinged the game before and he would let us have it for even asking.
Hummm. And some how we never heard anyone “nitpick” Brock about it. But yeah, it would be nitpicking to focus on not talking about injuries rather than the disastrous destruction of the program and historic losing under Brock’s regime. At least the current nitpicking comes as Carty is 11-6 overall and 3-1 this season and coming off a really important win. And now we are adding “rude” to the list of Carty complaints. Can’t make this stuff up.
Last edited by Hens79 on Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

HZ, you aren't hurting anyone's feelings. Not sure why you keep posting that comment. I simply shared an opinion that many football coaches are tight lipped regarding injuries. I was also offering a personal experience on the same subject when I asked a previous Delaware HC who bit my head off for simply asking. I wasn't actually disagreeing with your comments just offering a perspective! And you aren't the only one who's talked to our Media members and I wish they'd change access to practice and Info but they don't. No need to be so sensitive every time someone doesn't respond the exact same way you do.
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

HENJOHN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:09 am HZ, you aren't hurting anyone's feelings. Not sure why you keep posting that comment. I simply shared an opinion that many football coaches are tight lipped regarding injuries. I was also offering a personal experience on the same subject when I asked a previous Delaware HC who bit my head off for simply asking. I wasn't actually disagreeing with your comments just offering a perspective! You aren't the only one who's talked to our Media members. No need to be so sensitive every time someone doesn't respond the same way you do.
I also simply shared the opinion that I thought Ryan has become a bit paranoid and rude about the subject. We all know he is not the only coach in the USA who has taken this attitude. Doesn't justify it. The comment needed no responce . I had a conversation with 2 different media guys as well as hearing the CAA interview comment and thought it was worth mentioning . It's history with me as was the practice bans. In responce I get you and 79Hens as usual trying to build a case for a coach who is building his own case and doesn't need constant defense.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Henzone wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:39 am
HENJOHN wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:09 am HZ, you aren't hurting anyone's feelings. Not sure why you keep posting that comment. I simply shared an opinion that many football coaches are tight lipped regarding injuries. I was also offering a personal experience on the same subject when I asked a previous Delaware HC who bit my head off for simply asking. I wasn't actually disagreeing with your comments just offering a perspective! You aren't the only one who's talked to our Media members. No need to be so sensitive every time someone doesn't respond the same way you do.
I also simply shared the opinion that I thought Ryan has become a bit paranoid and rude about the subject. We all know he is not the only coach in the USA who has taken this attitude. Doesn't justify it. The comment needed no responce . I had a conversation with 2 different media guys as well as hearing the CAA interview comment and thought it was worth mentioning . In responce I get you and 79Hens as usual trying to build a case for a coach who is building his own case and doesn't need constant defense.
Geez, if you re-read my post you won't see anything about me disagreeing just sharing a thought lotsa Coaches do this and related experience on the subject you raised. Sorry you didn't see that.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Word on the street is that Carty has a "tip" guy with him whenever he's in public to do the quick math and make sure he's not undertipping, ever. Now he's got to see if the same guy can be a "rude" monitor and nudge him whenever he's not being perfectly considerate at all times. 8)
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Gannonfan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:17 am Word on the street is that Carty has a "tip" guy with him whenever he's in public to do the quick math and make sure he's not undertipping, ever. Now he's got to see if the same guy can be a "rude" monitor and nudge him whenever he's not being perfectly considerate at all times. 8)
Good one. Says what everyone else is thinking right now.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

Gannonfan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:17 am Word on the street is that Carty has a "tip" guy with him whenever he's in public to do the quick math and make sure he's not undertipping, ever. Now he's got to see if the same guy can be a "rude" monitor and nudge him whenever he's not being perfectly considerate at all times. 8)
And a parking spot picker too. Carty brings him golfing as well and also has them select his hotel rooms when on the road. A real Jack of all trades.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Hens79 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:33 am
And a parking spot picker too. Carty brings him golfing as well and also has them select his hotel rooms when on the road. A real Jack of all trades.
Little is known about the guy that polishes Carty’s rings, but he plays an important part when recruits come to UD. Lighting is critical…getting that flash *just right* to get the recruit’s attention can make the difference when landing the great players.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Thanks to Big R for the rundown. In future years, thousands will claim to have attended Saturday's thriller, though hundreds actually did. It was a terrific game to watch live and in person.

I understand that revealing injuries is an issue for a limited number of P5 coaches like Brian Kelly, who believe that issuing injury reports or otherwise commenting on injuries lessens the possibility of nefarious stuff between gamblers and players/coaches in the know. OTOH, the vast majority don't see the value in providing the opposition with that sort of intel.

Media has the right to ask, and coaches have the right to not provide a response. Until such time that it becomes mandatory to disclose player injuries, who really cares? It has little to no impact on Joe Fan doing what he does best - spectating from the stands or watching on the screen.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Yes, lost in some of this is we had a Huge win for the program Saturday night. Still a little hourse from yelling. Next Home game sold out