Poll: In-Game Stadium Experience

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

What Grade Would You Give UD's In-Stadium Experience

-- A. There's never a dull moment. If there wasn't music between every play or three announcements in every timeout, I wouldn't attend.
3%
-- B. Sometimes the song selections are clever. Rain-related themes Saturday night, for example. Just wish there were some moments to let the game breathe a bit.
11%
-- C. Who the hell cares? Just win, baby. The football team's slow starts are my biggest worry right now.
25%
-- D. I don't like it but it's not changing anytime soon. Those in charge think it's part of the whole package.
13%
-- F. Whoever is in charge acts like they have never been to a football game before. The pump-up music was boosting the opponents early on Saturday. They were dancing. There is noise between every play when the HOME TEAM has the ball. It's insanity.
48%

Total votes: 71

bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Re: Poll: In-Game Stadium Experience

Post by bluehens2005 »

bluehenbillk wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:17 pm I goto a lot of college football games and I can tell you it IS the norm nowadays that there is more piped in music or in-stadium DJ’s. Football stadium atmospheres are more club-like atmospheres now versus the traditional bands playing from the stands. It’s not like bands don’t play, they certainly still do, but the amount of non-band music throughout the game has probably never been higher.
Was at the flyers game yesterday this past week and it’s the Same thing you can’t heard yourself think during the pregame it’s probably to detract from the bad play on the field maybe the theatrics will Make them think about something else who knows
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

I went to the Penn State game this year. It was not like that at all. It was enjoyable.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

HensRock wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:48 pm I went to the Penn State game this year. It was not like that at all. It was enjoyable.
I was there too, and at the PSU-Maryland game yesterday- Maryland sound system was even more obtrusive.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Brookside kid hen
UD Class: 1987

Post by Brookside kid hen »

I thought the experience was pretty good at yesterday's game, I think someone finally listened and slightly at least turned down the volume on the PA announcers mic, and I agree with the poster who said that he sounds more like a carnival barker than a football stadium PA announcer (RIP Elbert Chance, who's probably rolling over in his grave if he could hear this guy). And the lack of the band playing is a criminal offense, especially with all the crummy piped in, overly loud "music". I like most romanticize the experiences growing up watching games at Delaware Stadium, we're not going back unfortunately but it is what it is. Still a good day, other than the final outcome.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Been coming since the late 60s and many of my Wish List items aren't ever going to happen. A more Professional PA Announcer (you dont need the theatrics to be effective) and the volume of the PA system apparently are not going to change. That said I had my grandsons and their baseball team in Section I Saturday and they had a BLAST including getting on the Jumbo Scoreboard screen twice and they were thrilled beyond words. Maddog76 Mr. Hanby even saw us including my grandson he got a UD uniform for! Overall I still think the atmosphere, the extra things to do, Kids related activities etc are still some of the best I have seen at our level. Thinking about some of the other stadiums I have been to in our Conference and elsewhere and its pretty damn good overall. I might stop bringing my grandsons though, we are now 0-3 in the last 3 games I brought them....... Lets hope the place is rocking in 2 weeks.
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

The music selection was putrid. WWE wrestling theme songs, DMX "Lose My Mind" with Suck My D#!*/bleeped, obscure heavy metal songs from the early 2000's...😂

My wife turned to me and said... The guy playing these songs is probably in his mid 30's and still lives in his parent's basement...😂
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Geez Ralph. Glad I missed some of those. Must have been down buying Hot Dogs and Candy
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Post by bluehens2005 »

RalphD58 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:27 pm The music selection was putrid. WWE wrestling theme songs, DMX "Lose My Mind" with Suck My D#!*/bleeped, obscure heavy metal songs from the early 2000's...😂

My wife turned to me and said... The guy playing these songs is probably in his mid 30's and still lives in his parent's basement...😂
Horrible and they play the same
Songs week after week…
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

RalphD58 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:27 pm The music selection was putrid. WWE wrestling theme songs, DMX "Lose My Mind" with Suck My D#!*/bleeped, obscure heavy metal songs from the early 2000's...😂

Didn’t notice the “Suck My D$$$” and don’t think my 4 and 2 yo grandkids did either. But some of those “obscure heavy metal songs from the early 2000s” are actually Metallica’s literally world famous Enter Sandman and For Whom the Bell Tolls with the not as noteworthy Fuel. This 60 something dude saw them at Met Life Stadium in August with my two 30 something sons and 85K others. You might not like the music or the volume, but obscure it isn’t.
RalphD58

Post by RalphD58 »

There are classic stadium songs for sure and Enter Sandman and pretty much any AC/DC fit the bill. It's not rocket science, play fun songs that appeal to most people. System of the Down's "Chop Suey" is not one of those songs in my never so humble opinion.☺

Edit... Or any WWE entrance songs.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

RalphD58 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:23 pm There are classic stadium songs for sure and Enter Sandman and pretty much any AC/DC fit the bill. It's not rocket science, play fun songs that appeal to most people. System of the Down's "Chop Suey" is not one of those songs in my never so humble opinion.☺

Edit... Or any WWE entrance songs.
I agree! And I never heard of “Chop Suey” lol

No matter how hard I try to stay current, I can’t seem to. At least I am trying :-)
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Hens79 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:11 pm

Didn’t notice the “Suck My D$$$” and don’t think my 4 and 2 yo grandkids did either. But some of those “obscure heavy metal songs from the early 2000s” are actually Metallica’s literally world famous Enter Sandman and For Whom the Bell Tolls with the not as noteworthy Fuel. This 60 something dude saw them at Met Life Stadium in August with my two 30 something sons and 85K others. You might not like the music or the volume, but obscure it isn’t.
Well get ur tixs for the Biggest Show of 2024 when they go on sale!!!!! You heard it here first!!!!! Oasis reunion tour!!!!! It's about time the greatest British band ever(IMHO) but certainly in the last 40 years gets back together for the 1st time in 15 years!!!!!!! I'll be there

And as far as WWE entrance songs, WM40 is in Philly and on my BDay this year, think I will have to check it out. :D :D
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
RalphD58

Post by RalphD58 »

Hens79 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:33 pmI agree! And I never heard of “Chop Suey” lol

No matter how hard I try to stay current, I can’t seem to. At least I am trying :-)
We had a really great time and some of the horrible songs made my wife and I laugh out loud. We met bartending at a local beer & shot dive bar that had a juke box. There was one drunk guy that would play the same handful of songs every night. I said, "Is Bob Jr. playing these songs?!?!" because a couple of stadium songs were his favorites 😂

Overall, it's always a great time at Delaware Stadium and a few loud, odd (in my opinion), songs didn't change that. The only thing that pissed me off was the fumble at the end. 😡
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

I'm still waiting to hear some Aerosmith music at the Tub after all the years I've been going. Saw my boys in OC, Maryland in 1973 and last time in Philly in 2023 and 50 years later still banging it out. Lotsa potential songs to throw through that PA system but never heard any yet.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

RalphD58 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:45 pm
Hens79 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:33 pmI agree! And I never heard of “Chop Suey” lol

We had a really great time and some of the horrible songs made my wife and I laugh out loud. We met bartending at a local beer & shot dive bar that had a juke box. There was one drunk guy that would play the same handful of songs every night. I said, "Is Bob Jr. playing these songs?!?!" because a couple of stadium songs were his favorites 😂

Overall, it's always a great time at Delaware Stadium and a few loud, odd (in my opinion), songs didn't change that. The only thing that pissed me off was the fumble at the end. 😡
Agree again. Great bar story. I have many but they don’t include meeting my future wife :-) I could write a book about my and my buddies Stone Ballon and Down Under antics.

And I was pissed off after the fumble too. The first time in years actually. The decade of failure, prongs and “watching the landscape” took its toll on me. I am glad the UD football juices are flowing at least a little in me again. At my age, I thought they might be gone for good.