Touchdown Club Presentation

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
cams
UD Class: 1981

Touchdown Club Presentation

Post by cams »

On Friday I gave a presentation to the TD Club. I received much appreciation and thanks from the members. On Sat I was approached by several people who heard about it but were unable to attend. Because of that and at the urging of some others I have decided to post it here on GoHens. It won't be exactly same without my narrative, but I have comments below that should help out.

https://www.henshots.com/Football/2023/ ... n-9-15-23/

The presentation was 20 minutes in length. Due to that time constraint I picked my very best memories over the last 17 years, so I had to leave some things out. Hope you like it.

1-9 - These images are examples of what makes for a good sports image. You want to get the face of the player and the ball in the frame with action, so face, ball, action.
11-15 - Artistic photos can also be compelling, these are some examples.
16-24 - Player emotions and celebrations are the essence of sports.
26 - MLax makes it the NCAA Qtr finals in Balt. This is May of 2007, I had only been shooting for UD since Feb that year.
27 - We opened the football season that year on the road at W&M. Omar Cuff set a UD record rushing for 7 TD's.
28 - The same weekend I shot the Michigan - App State game. This is the game winning blocked field goal that won it for App State.
29 - First time we play Del State in football it's the opening round of the NCAA playoffs. I like the low angle of the sun in this shot.
30-33 - Qtr final playoff game against the #1 seed Northern Iowa. Weather was nasty and the crowd was extremely loud.
34-35 - It's on to Southern Illinois and another win putting us in the title game vs App State.
36 - My most vivid memory is the unruly behavior of the App State fans after the game.
37-39 - Three years later in 2010 we had a great team again and were back in the playoffs. These are from the UNH game, very cold that night.
40-41 - Another shut down performance by our defense in the semi-finals puts us in the championship game vs Eastern Washington
42-46 - First half was all UD leading 19-0, then the wheels came off in the second half. Still don't know how we lost that game. It still haunts me.
47 - Good old days with a packed Delaware Stadium.
48-54 - It's now time for the WBB team to shine. From the 12-13 seasons. The "Elena era" was amazing.
55-61 - One year later in 2014 the MBB team wins the CAA and heads to Spokane for a first round match up vs Mich State.
62-67 - In 2016 our Field Hockey team goes all the way. National Championships are rare at UD so this one was very special.
68-69 - A couple years ago UD Men's Lax knocked off #2 ranked Georgetown on their home field.
70 - One example of some of the awful weather I've had to shoot in.
71-72 - Thanks to the Ravens for granting me a credential for one game each year as long as a Blue Hen was on their roster, that streak lasted 12 years.
73 - 75 - I will miss being in this position, but look forward to being a fan. The direction of Collegiate Athletics with the explosion of social media and NIL is to produce these kind of images (posed shots) so the athlete can post on IG, build their brand etc. I understand this trend but I prefer to shoot games.
76 - This final photo is of Jeff Komlo from the late 1970's when I was a UD student.

I plan to shoot 4 football games as a non-paid volunteer, mostly just for fun. The games are Duquesne, at Towson, at Campbell and Villanova.

Cams
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Re: Touchdown Club Presentation

Post by HensRock »

Some fantastic memories. Thanks for being so much a part of GoHens.net over the years!
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
HeHateMe
UD Class: 2000

Post by HeHateMe »

Cams, thanks for sharing these. You can feel the emotion of the moments you capture. These are as good as it gets. Thanks again!
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Mark, thanks for posting that here, as well. I had been trying to explain some of your photos, without having access to them. Now I can show them.

A picture truly is worth a thousand words. The Club really appreciates what you did, and feel free to put together another file for next year!

My favorite may just be Kayla Miller, fired up, and with the score in the background. Probably my favorite couple of days in the BOB.
#JUST WIN
Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R »

Mark, I have a couple of shots of you in your box taken from the field before the game Saturday. Also have Scott Brunner in the same shot in one. I’ll get to you (eventually).
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Wow Cams. Fantastic stuff with so many memories you gave us. Thank you. Love the Northern Iowa and Women's Basketball shots especially. Loved the Komlo shot vs VMI too. I knew Jeff from school as well. Quite a player and character. Best wishes in your Retirement.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Awesome presentation. Definitely regret not seeing in person. Hope you told your successor of the need to keep the GoHens action going.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Final shot is interesting. Delaware is wearing blu jerseys but that’s not a home game. Playoff perhaps?
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

It's Delaware Stadium vs VMI 1976 a loss 10-6. Note the old NEZ bleachers and brick buildings that are near the current Ice Arena and Creamery. I was at that game where Komlo pitched a shuttle pass to a RB that was picked off by their DT who ran it in for a TD. Jeff said later that game pizzed him off more than any.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Man, I almost cried just looking through those! Thanks for sharing, great trip down memory lane.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J »

Please stop by the tailgate if you can, if would be a pleasure to have a beverage with you.

Great stuff, the Komlo photo was something.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Great photos…love the baseball in UDee’s eye.

Congrats on retirement, Cams.

BTW, did you catch Komlo’s pass?
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

HENJOHN wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:52 am It's Delaware Stadium vs VMI 1976 a loss 10-6. Note the old NEZ bleachers and brick buildings that are near the current Ice Arena and Creamery. I was at that game where Komlo pitched a shuttle pass to a RB that was picked off by their DT who ran it in for a TD. Jeff said later that game pizzed him off more than any.
Thanks for providing the history John and this is indeed a great picture

I didn’t fully recognize it as Delaware Stadium because of those brick buildings you mentioned. Also noticed “The Chicken” over Komlos shoulder …. I love the old vintage pics
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
CaliHen98
UD Class: 1998

Post by CaliHen98 »

cams - thank you so much for sharing this. I am sincerely grateful for everything you've done to promote UD athletics. You've been nothing short of a great ambassador for the school, our athletes, and the entire Blue Hen Nation.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

HENJOHN wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:52 am It's Delaware Stadium vs VMI 1976 a loss 10-6. Note the old NEZ bleachers and brick buildings that are near the current Ice Arena and Creamery. I was at that game where Komlo pitched a shuttle pass to a RB that was picked off by their DT who ran it in for a TD. Jeff said later that game pizzed him off more than any.
Ah. The camera makes Ag Hall look closer than it actually is.