Will Delaware join UMass to the MAC

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Will Delaware join UMass to the MAC

Post by Steve1981 »

Well, expect it to be mostly negative, non committal, but it started extremely negative on UMass Hoops and most, not all have come around to accepting it.

Why, well the A10 use to earn more money than the MAC, but that has flipped and this year the MAC will earn 10 million more than the A10.

This is one of my quotes.
UMass Basketball has NEVER won in the NCAA tournament without John Calipari. That UMass net rating is terrible and has been bad for years. The A10 revenue is declining, not increasing like the G5, bids averaged 2 for a handful of years and now 1 bid. All the public universities with FBS football hopes left. Temple and Charlotte where recent enough for you to remember. The best A10 teams were poached by the Big East. It's a new reality, basketball will never get us in a better conference and this one has been permanently weaken. After 40 years, the membership changed leaving us without old rivals, who moved on.
This is from the basketball forum of UMass hoops and on the football forum there is a dedicated thread of UMass to the MAC.

So will Delaware commit to MAC FBS or the status quo?
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Re: Will Delaware join UMass to the MAC

Post by dchen »

Steve1981 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:39 am Well, expect it to be mostly negative, non committal, but it started extremely negative on UMass Hoops and most, not all have come around to accepting it.

Why, well the A10 use to earn more money than the MAC, but that has flipped and this year the MAC will earn 10 million more than the A10.

This is one of my quotes.
UMass Basketball has NEVER won in the NCAA tournament without John Calipari. That UMass net rating is terrible and has been bad for years. The A10 revenue is declining, not increasing like the G5, bids averaged 2 for a handful of years and now 1 bid. All the public universities with FBS football hopes left. Temple and Charlotte where recent enough for you to remember. The best A10 teams were poached by the Big East. It's a new reality, basketball will never get us in a better conference and this one has been permanently weaken. After 40 years, the membership changed leaving us without old rivals, who moved on.
This is from the basketball forum of UMass hoops and on the football forum there is a dedicated thread of UMass to the MAC.

So will Delaware commit to MAC FBS or the status quo?
So Edgar was right all those years ago when he said we don't know where the A10 is going.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Speaking only for myself, and not as part of any organization, I would support it.

The four road conference games would not be greatly different, distance wise, from trips to Maine, Campbell, NCA&T, Elon.

We would also never have a committment to not just playing those teams, but also Bryant, Hampton and a half stadium at Monmouth (although nearby).

Not having Villanova, UR and W&M regularly on the schedule would be a disappointment, but we would have the opportunity to schedule more interesting OOC games.

There, I said it.

edit: We also have a history, long ago, with many of the MAC teams.
#JUST WIN
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Kick some a$$ this season and come away with a road win. It feels great UMass 41 -30 on the road at NMSU on ESPN.
Better media coverage and $$ with FBS, just saying and hoping you guys will make the move.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Nice win last night. Two former Delaware opposition coaches - Brown and Kill ( when at So. Illinois).
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

Info Hound wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:38 am Speaking only for myself, and not as part of any organization, I would support it.

The four road conference games would not be greatly different, distance wise, from trips to Maine, Campbell, NCA&T, Elon.

We would also never have a committment to not just playing those teams, but also Bryant, Hampton and a half stadium at Monmouth (although nearby).

Not having Villanova, UR and W&M regularly on the schedule would be a disappointment, but we would have the opportunity to schedule more interesting OOC games.

There, I said it.

If UD and UMass do get an invite, it would be fairly easy to divide the MAC into East and West divisions and your point about the traveling distances is a good one. Thinking even larger, perhaps W&M and URI would also consider such a move. If so, this might be a no-brainer.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

rooneyguy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:31 am
Info Hound wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:38 am Speaking only for myself, and not as part of any organization, I would support it.

There, I said it.

If UD and UMass do get an invite, it would be fairly easy to divide the MAC into East and West divisions and your point about the traveling distances is a good one. Thinking even larger, perhaps W&M and URI would also consider such a move. If so, this might be a no-brainer.
No MAC school is a W&M “peer” college 😎
#JustWinBaby
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

Hengrad07 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:43 am

There, I said it.

So W&M sees Campbell, NCA&T, Hampton, Bryant, Monmouth as "peers"?
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

There, I said it.

“I heard you really like it
and although it might be tight
I’ll drive you back from Ohio
on a Tuesday night”
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Hengrad07 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:43 am

There, I said it.

Do see the sunglasses but still want to say Buffalo is AAU, UMass has been top 30 public research university for years and Delaware is none to shabby. That said, don't think they will be be taking any other teams in the future and Stony Brook and Albany will get a look. So -- you know what to do Thursday night, Kick a$$.
DaveB
UD Class: 1993

Post by DaveB »

On the surface, adding UMASS and Delaware makes sense. The positives for UD are joining a conf made up primarily of similar universities. The current CAA is a hodge podge and IMO its only a matter of time before Charleston leaves for the A10 further weaking the CAA. The A10 slowly has become more private/basketball only schools so I dont see Delaware joining/being invited

Being in a conference with Buffalo, Ohio and UMASS is attractive to me. There are a few western MAC schools that I dont care for but overall it would be a solid conference to join. The FBS tag would probably bring some lift/buzz in Newark and ideally the MAC/FBS affiliation would be a launching pad for something else down the road.

The negatives are being in a conference where you are a true outlier and one that doesnt ever seem to move the needle. Its a solid, stable conference that doesn generate much buzz.

I am more into hoops but do follow FB. The latest CAA additions are not good. If we were to leave, I would miss playing certain schools but I am sure we would play Drexel OOC often, Towson, etc.

MAC profile
Public
3 R1 schools, 9 R2 schools
Enrollment: 19,456
Endowment: $406 million
Avg FB attendance: 14,470
Avg BB attendance: 2435

U of Delaware
Public/Private
R1 school
Enrollment: 24k
Endowment: $1.7 billion
FB attendance 16,901
BB attendance: 2133

UMASS
Public
R1 school
Enrollment: 32k
Endowment: $494 million
FB attendance: 10,799
BB attendance: 3580
Last edited by DaveB on Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Why would you have endowment in there? If anything it makes UD look bad. How about a tuition increase % over the last 5 years and then ask why that’s necessary with that endowment?
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Attila the Hen

Post by Attila the Hen »

What's in it for the MAC? Why would they want this?
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

I watched the game last night and found it a good experience to get my mind in gear for Thursday. I liked the looks of NMSU's stadium( see video board comment below). I focused on the O line schemes and their push and speed off the snap as well as their recognition of the D's location. Their performance brought our last year's OL weaknesses smack into focus. Fingers crossed but I'm worried our XL sized guys' pass protecting may be our downfall.
I watched some of Mercer who looked solid in their win- BIG South is a good conference. Albany won over Fordham- That's a plus. We're all primed for Thursday Baby!!! Finally we'll get a feel for what we've got though albeit versus an expected mediocre opponent. SO, at the moment, all quiet on gohens :roll: :wink: "anticipation" :wink:

QUESTION- UD related- any reason why our new Video board is not centrally located behind the north endzone? Just looks misplaced to me.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Attila the Hen wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:11 am What's in it for the MAC? Why would they want this?
We want an east coast school and we have history. UMass has been hesitant from leaving the A10, which old heart is near you in Philly. We'd like to maintain an east coast presence for our alumni and we do have a UMass president that served many years in Washington DC. You guys check a lot of boxes for helping us to go all sports. The MAC academic profile is a bit lower than it likes, so your academic profile is pretty important to the MAC.

Now it's time for you guys to perform and give the MAC more reason.
Last edited by Steve1981 on Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.