FCS pre-season Top 25 poll by Sam Herder

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Re: FCS pre-season Top 25 poll by Sam Herder

Post by HensRock »

I must be missing something...
What makes anyone think Delaware will be a playoff team this year?

We return 2 starters on defense.
On offense we return 3-4 linemen, 2 RBs and 1 starting receiver.

We lost QB #1
We lost QB #2
We lost QB #3

Personally, I have a pretty low expectation for this year's team.
I'll be happy if we finish above .500
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

HensRock wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:40 am I must be missing something...

We lost QB #1
We lost QB #2
We lost QB #3

Love the honesty - that said, have you looked at the schedule???
#JustWinBaby
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

We lost QB #1
We lost QB #2
We lost QB #3

i get your point, at one time "any given day" did not apply to the Hens very often, these days I'm not so sure, even with this schedule.
Los Angeles Harballers
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

We lost QB #1
We lost QB #2
We lost QB #3

Well, to be honest, our #1 QB was very limited in his ability/willingness to take off running (vertically, not running horizontally for his life), so that limited our offense. QB #2 was serviceable, but not a real threat in either the passing game or the running game. QB #3 was just a short yardage runner.

Best QB depth evah! :lol:

So, now we have QB #4 battling a transfer QB for the starting position. Both can win us games. Carty’s O needs a QB who can toss the piggy AND take off running. In that regard, our two QBs are a better fit, so we should see a more wide open playbook. How high their ceilings are remains to be seen, but things look promising.

Our schedule is ridiculous (as it has been recently with the weakening of the CAA) with only a few games that could be challenging. Most of the tougher games are at home.

Our kicking game is light years ahead of the disaster that was left to Carty. We should now expect much better red zone production, better field position and better balance all over the field due to our kicking/punting/special teams units. In other words, the kicking game upgrade should dramatically help improve both our defense and offense.

Our OL has to be better than last year. Period. Bigger, better communication, better understanding of the offense.

We are LOADED at RB and WR. Speed, size and talent.

On D…still undersized on the DL. Someone has to step up. The good news is that most CAA teams aren’t built to run over smaller DLs…we are not in the MVFC. Athletic in the secondary…with physicality. They will be hitting people. Ware looks to be taking Whitehead’s spot (who knows how practices will shake out as the new faces get their chance to show their stuff). Plank’s spot is also well covered with a physical player. Seems as though we have a lot of depth there. LBs are not numerous, but we really play with a hybrid LB/DB, so expect the bigger DBs to fill in.

We should be fun to watch.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:59 pm

We lost QB #1
We lost QB #2
We lost QB #3

Well, to be honest, our #1 QB was very limited in his ability/willingness to take off running (vertically, not running horizontally for his life), so that limited our offense. QB #2 was serviceable, but not a real threat in either the passing game or the running game. QB #3 was just a short yardage runner.

Best QB depth evah! :lol:

So, now we have QB #4 battling a transfer QB for the starting position. Both can win us games. Carty’s O needs a QB who can toss the piggy AND take off running. In that regard, our two QBs are a better fit, so we should see a more wide open playbook. How high their ceilings are remains to be seen, but things look promising.

Our schedule is ridiculous (as it has been recently with the weakening of the CAA) with only a few games that could be challenging. Most of the tougher games are at home.

Our kicking game is light years ahead of the disaster that was left to Carty. We should now expect much better red zone production, better field position and better balance all over the field due to our kicking/punting/special teams units. In other words, the kicking game upgrade should dramatically help improve both our defense and offense.

Our OL has to be better than last year. Period. Bigger, better communication, better understanding of the offense.

We are LOADED at RB and WR. Speed, size and talent.

On D…still undersized on the DL. Someone has to step up. The good news is that most CAA teams aren’t built to run over smaller DLs…we are not in the MVFC. Athletic in the secondary…with physicality. They will be hitting people. Ware looks to be taking Whitehead’s spot (who knows how practices will shake out as the new faces get their chance to show their stuff). Plank’s spot is also well covered with a physical player. Seems as though we have a lot of depth there. LBs are not numerous, but we really play with a hybrid LB/DB, so expect the bigger DBs to fill in.

We should be fun to watch.
Spot on Cluck, speaking of DBs, A'Khoury Lyde hasn't received much attention and looks like one of those guys that could emerge.
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Good call Henny. We are going to see some surprises…players are hungry.

I was also told to keep an eye out for Marcus Yarns and Tyler Davis.

Can’t wait for the season to start!!!
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Cluck

Henderson was never going to be Eric Schmid, that guy was an explosive downfield runner and he took a beating in Cartys offense down in Texas, so much so he passed up a year of eligibility to limit chances of get brain damage. Besides, he already won a championship so good decision on his part

When Carty was hired, i was very interested to see if he would push Henderson to run like Schmid, but was thinking if he did that Henderson’s season would be over quick. That wouldn’t of been good for the Hens

I don’t know but guessing, “with little more of a trained eye” as Carty likes to say, was smart enough to know Henderson was not gonna be Eric Schmid as well.

Did they adjust the offense accordingly? Don’t know

I think it was very important to keep the often injured but talented Henderson healthy and on the field. He had a tremendous record at UD as the starter… very low turn over rate too. He never tried to force passes much and that, good or bad, probably is why he was always running around but not really gaining a ton of yards
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

"Our kicking game is light years ahead of the disaster that was left to Carty. We should now expect much better red zone production, better field position and better balance all over the field due to our kicking/punting/special teams units. In other words, the kicking game upgrade should dramatically help improve both our defense and offense."

Coe & Pastula were one of the best kick/punt combos who played at UD. Ryan was well aware of their exit and several of us mentioned the void that existed his initial spring but we saw no transfers arrive then or in the summer. Let's hope the OL doesn't experience the same situation this season.

I do agree the upgrade we finally made should lessen the chance for failed red zone calls . Only a year late.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Henzone wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:19 pm "Our kicking game is light years ahead of the disaster that was left to Carty. We should now expect much better red zone production, better field position and better balance all over the field due to our kicking/punting/special teams units. In other words, the kicking game upgrade should dramatically help improve both our defense and offense."

Stick to the hospitality department Clucky. You are weak on the football part of this board.

Coe & Pastula were one of the best kick/punt combos who played at UD. Ryan was well aware of their exit and several of us mentioned the void that existed his initial spring but we saw no transfers arrive then or in the summer. Let's hope the OL doesn't experience the same situation this season.

I do agree the upgrade we finally made should lessen the chance for failed red zone calls . Only a year late.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are weak on reality (wait, are we going back to personal attacks :lol: ).

Even a old dolt should be able to understand...we didn't have any good kickers left on board. No real quality depth as no one Rocco recruited stepped up. You know, that means the previous coach didn't do his job...no "roster balance."

The above = a kicking disaster that was left to Carty. FACT. Only a fool would continue to argue that fact.

None of that is difficult to understand, despite your attempts to pin the dismal kicking game on Carty.

Oh, wait...Carty, who didn't even start until late December, was supposed to understand that Rocco was not a good recruiter (maybe Carty should have read this board) and Carty should have recruited some good kickers (after all, there are dozens available for each team...as demonstrated by Rocco's deep bench :lol: ).

Yeah...Carty was busy trying to stop the rats from fleeing a sinking ship. Probably thought at least one of the players in Rocco's deep stable could fill in to kick a ball.

Nope.

Cripes, glad you also mentioned the OL. Apparently, Carty was supposed to bring in new kickers, an entire offensive line, bigger DLs, a non-wounded star QB and a host of other quality players in order for our Hens to compete with the big boys...and all in less than a year...because that's what new coaches have to do when following Rocco's great recruiting and time tested building of a program. :lol:

Yup...Carty was a failure because he didn't plug in ALL of the holes he inherited. :lol:

Say, how'd that loaded D do against SDSU (twice)? Good grief. :roll:

It might take Carty a few years to truly compete with the big boys...those who don't understand FCS football have little idea of how FAR Rocco was from competing on a national scale.

But, Carty knows...he won national titles twice with Keeler, so there is hope that our Hens will rise up and make us proud. :D

Delawareparent
UD Class: 2000

Post by Delawareparent »

When Florida state leaves we can join the acc . Might need to add a few more seats to our stadium
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

"Well, to be honest, our #1 QB was very limited in his ability/willingness to take off running (vertically, not running horizontally for his life), so that limited our offense. QB #2 was serviceable, but not a real threat in either the passing game or the running game. QB #3 was just a short yardage runner."

Had nothing to do with willingness. Nolan was told absolutely not to take a hit. He goes down as one of the all time great QB's despite his lingering injuries and weak OL's. Maybe we should have picked up a backup transfer but that never happened as Ryan felt secure holding firm at that position also.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

We lost QB #1
We lost QB #2
We lost QB #3

You’re right HR. UD returns a couple of really good players and we think have recruited well (what team doesn’t?) and upgraded our special teams.

Yes the schedule doesn’t look daunting but aren’t our opponents saying the same thing you are? Look how much Delaware lost, their name is the only thing giving them any expectations.

Our defense could surprise and evolve into a top unit or they could be a “Monmouth Light” from last season. Everyone knows PSU will most likely be ugly. UNH, Elon and Nova will be tough battles. UD will probably lose to someone else, I don’t see them today as being good enough to sweep the rest of the slate.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Henzone wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:22 pm "Well, to be honest, our #1 QB was very limited in his ability/willingness to take off running (vertically, not running horizontally for his life), so that limited our offense. QB #2 was serviceable, but not a real threat in either the passing game or the running game. QB #3 was just a short yardage runner."

Had nothing to do with willingness. Nolan was told absolutely not to take a hit. He goes down as one of the all time great QB's despite his lingering injuries and weak OL's. Maybe we should have picked up a backup transfer but that never happened as Ryan felt secure holding firm at that position also.
Of course some of it had to do with willingness. WTH was Carty going to do if Henderson occasionally took off and ran for a first down...bench him for the season? :lol:

The fact that Carty didn't run Henderson, and Henderson didn't run, tells everyone all they need to know about the quality of our deepest QB roster evah. :lol: Even Carty knew that was a load of bull. I liked our back up QBs...but they weren't world beaters.

Rocco managed 19.73 points per game in 2021. Carty got us to 28.15 even with our huge limitations. We weren't winning 8 games with Rocco's O...no way.

The QBs will run this year. It is what Carty does.

Importantly, Carty changed the attitude of the team and made them into winners. Players love Carty's attitude. Infectious.

Can't wait for Carty 2.0 this Fall. :D

jd of de

Post by jd of de »

CAA SCHEDULES OF TOP 8 (per CAA Media Day voting) TEAMS

1 - William & Mary
Maine ... Towson ... Monmouth ... Richmond
at Campbell ... at Elon ... at Albany ... at Hampton
play 5 of bottom 7 and 2 of 3 games against top 8 teams at home

2 - New Hampshire
Towson … Albany … Villanova … Maine
at Delaware … at Stony Brook … at Rhode Island … at Monmouth
play 4 of top 8 teams, with 3 of those on the road

3 - Richmond
Hampton ... Maine ... Campbell ... Elon
at Stony Brook ... at Rhode Island ... at NCA&T ... at William & Mary
play 5 of bottom 7 and 2 of 3 top 8 games are on the road

4 - Delaware
New Hampshire ... NCA&T ... Elon ... Villanova
at Stony Brook ... at Hampton ... at Towson ... at Campbell
play 5 of bottom 7 and play all 3 top 8 games at home

5 - Elon
NCA&T ... William & Mary ... Monmouth ... Hampton
at Campbell ... at Villanova ... at Delaware ... at Richmond
play 5 of top 8 and 3 of those on the road

6 - Rhode Island
Stony Brook ... Richmond ... New Hampshire ... NCA&T
at Maine ... at Villanova ... at Albany ... at Towson
play 5 of bottom 7 and play 2 of 3 top 8 at home

7 - Villanova
Rhode Island ... Elon ... Stony Brook ... Towson
at Albany ... at NCA&T ... at New Hampshire ... at Delaware
play 4 of top 8 and two of those are at home

8 - Monmouth
Campbell ... Hampton ... Stony Brook ... New Hampshire
at Towson ... at Elon ... at William & Mary ... at Albany
play 5 of bottom 7 and 2 of 3 top 8 on the road
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Man, people are hating on Nova. Why is that? Because Talley is gone?
Los Angeles Harballers