How often should UD play Del St.

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Poll ended at Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:41 pm

Every year, both in Newark and Dover
9%
Every Year in Newark
22%
Roughly every other year to provide scheduling flexibility for both schools and the game should always be in Newark.
52%
Never, the schools should stop playing this game.
16%

Total votes: 98

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

Just curious to see where UD fans stand on the "Route One Rivalry".
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Maineroad

Re: How often should UD play Del St.

Post by Maineroad »

I feel like a great first step would be to jettison that awful moniker, which sounds like something they settled on after 38 seconds of careful consideration. No doubt, the same wizards of smart who came up with the “Battle of the Blue.” With that said, I would suggest they play three times a decade - twice in Newark and once wherever the hell DSU wants to play it. If DSU gets better, the Hens continue their chutes and ladders game to further irrelevance, or simply bites the bullet and joins the MEAC, we could reconsider scheduling.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Maineroad wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:53 pm I feel like a great first step would be to jettison that awful moniker, which sounds like something they settled on after 38 seconds of careful consideration. No doubt, the same wizards of smart who came up with the “Battle of the Blue.” With that said, I would suggest they play three times a decade - twice in Newark and once wherever the hell DSU wants to play it. If DSU gets better, the Hens continue their chutes and ladders game to further irrelevance, or simply bites the bullet and joins the MEAC, we could reconsider scheduling.
Remember, in the old days they called it the Rt 13 rivalry.
Brookside kid hen
UD Class: 1987

Post by Brookside kid hen »

I personally could do without it, but it's an easy FCS win every year, at least until maybe by next century DSU makes some serious improvement. I think West Chester provides better competition most years to tell the truth.
Maineroad

Post by Maineroad »

77HEN wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:21 am
Maineroad wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:53 pm I feel like a great first step would be to jettison that awful moniker, which sounds like something they settled on after 38 seconds of careful consideration. No doubt, the same wizards of smart who came up with the “Battle of the Blue.” With that said, I would suggest they play three times a decade - twice in Newark and once wherever the hell DSU wants to play it. If DSU gets better, the Hens continue their chutes and ladders game to further irrelevance, or simply bites the bullet and joins the MEAC, we could reconsider scheduling.
II think I had blocked that from memory. Just. So. Bad. How about the Diamond Cup, or Diamond Bowl? First State Classic? It really shouldn't be this hard. In fairness, neither of our named rivalries is actually a rivalry, as only one side ever wins each.
Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 »

Maineroad wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:12 pm
77HEN wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:21 am
Maineroad wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:53 pm I feel like a great first step would be to jettison that awful moniker, which sounds like something they settled on after 38 seconds of careful consideration. No doubt, the same wizards of smart who came up with the “Battle of the Blue.” With that said, I would suggest they play three times a decade - twice in :D Newark and once wherever the hell DSU wants to play it. If DSU gets better, the Hens continue their chutes and ladders game to further irrelevance, or simply bites the bullet and joins the MEAC, we could reconsider scheduling.
II think I had blocked that from memory. Just. So. Bad. How about the Diamond Cup, or Diamond Bowl? First State Classic? It really shouldn't be this hard. In fairness, neither of our named rivalries is actually a rivalry, as only one side ever wins each.
Much like the UD / Nova - just a 1-sided rivalry, as nova wins almost every year
Jeff Fiss
UD Class: 2001

Post by Jeff Fiss »

Never.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

DSU > Salisbury State 😎
#JustWinBaby
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J »

Henny wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:41 pm Just curious to see where UD fans stand on the "Route One Rivalry".
There is no "rivalry" but it is an opportunity for an easy OOC FCS win.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 »

Hengrad07 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:55 am DSU > Salisbury State 😎
I dont mind playing Del State at least they are D1 and close by. WTF is the deal with Salisbury State? How is it even allowed that we play a D3 school? I would think their players could be seriously injured due to the mismatch physically it would be. What is the rationale behind scheduling them? Do they think this game is going to draw a large crowd? Does it provide us anything? Does it provide Salisbury anything? When was the last time UD played a D2 after the West Chester series ended? let alone D3 school? Who ever thought of the idea of playing them?

Just perplexing I would ask Jerry O or Chrissy WTF?

Hopefully there OL isn't better than ours. :lol:
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Hensfansince03 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:59 am
WTF is the deal with Delaware? How is it even allowed that we play a D2...or whatever level they are on...school? I would think their players could be seriously injured due to the mismatch physically it would be. What is the rationale behind scheduling them? Do they think this game is going to draw a large crowd? Does it provide us anything? Does it provide Delaware anything? When was the last time Penn State played a lower level school...let alone a non-MVFC school? Who ever thought of the idea of playing them?

Just perplexing...WTF?

Not sure why you are asking questions from a Penn State fan's perspective...

...oh, wait...never mind. You didn't. Buy, you may as well have.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

Didn't Penn State play Nova in 2021?
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

dovetail wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:47 pm Didn't Penn State play Nova in 2021?
38-17...PSU. There were lower division bodies laying all over the field. Looked like a war zone. After that game, nova had to use members of the dance team and women's rugby team to fill their football roster spots in order to complete the rest of the football season (and they still beat us).

I don't want to talk about it.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Hensfansince03 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:59 am
Hengrad07 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:55 am DSU > Salisbury State 😎
I dont mind playing Del State at least they are D1 and close by. WTF is the deal with Salisbury State? How is it even allowed that we play a D3 school? I would think their players could be seriously injured due to the mismatch physically it would be. What is the rationale behind scheduling them? Do they think this game is going to draw a large crowd? Does it provide us anything? Does it provide Salisbury anything? When was the last time UD played a D2 after the West Chester series ended? let alone D3 school? Who ever thought of the idea of playing them?

Just perplexing I would ask Jerry O or Chrissy WTF?

OMG, you mean Salisbury State game is not a joke?? And they want us to buy season tickets? Fuggetaboudit.
Roger_Podacter
UD Class: 1995

Post by Roger_Podacter »

Never. Ever. Stop this game. Now.

Please enhance the home schedule. No more MEAC teams. Ugh.