Andrew Carr

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Re: Andrew Carr

Post by Hengrad07 »

Carr has 2 more years left at Wake - looking forward to his progress & he’s getting a great education to boot!
#JustWinBaby
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

Hengrad07 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:57 am Carr has 2 more years left at Wake - looking forward to his progress & he’s getting a great education to boot!
Carr would have gotten a great education at UD as well.
allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball »

BlueHenBill wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:45 pm
Hengrad07 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:57 am Carr has 2 more years left at Wake - looking forward to his progress & he’s getting a great education to boot!
You can get a good education at both, but Wake is decidedly the better school with an acceptance rate of 25% and overall rating of #29 in National Universities. By contrast, Delaware is #89 and has an acceptance rate of 75%. Carr and his family made a good decision. Oh, and Wake beat Duke last night as we lost to Duke by 30+.

Source: US News and World Report.
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

allteamball wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:33 pm
You can get a good education at both, but Wake is decidedly the better school with an acceptance rate of 25% and overall rating of #29 in National Universities. By contrast, Delaware is #89 and has an acceptance rate of 75%. Carr and his family made a good decision. Oh, and Wake beat Duke last night as we lost to Duke by 30+.

Rankings, smankings. Wake Forest is a private university that does not need to accept in-state students who meet specified criteria. What that means is that a certain proportion of the student body at any public university do not on average have the same admission profile (GPA, SAT/ACT scores, etc.) as the average student at almost any private university, nor on average do they come from as wealthy a family since the private university is significantly more expensive than the public university, especially for in-state students. Thus, most quality private universities are ranked higher than most quality public universities. It does not mean that the professors, facilities, etc. at the public university are on average inferior to those at the private university nor that the education is in any way inferior. It also means that the expensive private U. may have more connections to more well placed alums, but that again is largely due to the relative wealth of the students families and alums. I have made the argument several times in the past on these boards that the private universities have an inherent athletic recruiting advantage because their higher priced education makes the perceived value of the scholarship and education to be higher. Almost all here who responded to those posts of mine strongly disagreed with me to say the least.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

I think UD has slipped a bit in the rankings because of more pressure to accept state residents.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

allteamball...you are using US News and World Report? Versus our insider's guesswork regarding our academics?

All Hail UD's standards....toughest in the land. It is well known (by a select few) that UD would have won the NCAA national basketball championship tournament by now if we had lowered our standards to Wake's level. Carr's GPA probably went up a million points since transferring to Fake.

Can't trust this site...full of misinformation. Next thing we'll hear is that Stanford has basketball team...or that the Ivy League has varsity athletic teams.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:59 pm

allteamball...you are using US News and World Report? Versus our insider's guesswork regarding our academics?

All Hail UD's standards....toughest in the land. It is well known (by a select few) that UD would have won the NCAA national basketball championship tournament by now if we had lowered our standards to Wake's level. Carr's GPA probably went up a million points since transferring to Fake.

Can't trust this site...full of misinformation. Next thing we'll hear is that Stanford has basketball team...or that the Ivy League has varsity athletic teams.
CluckU, A total mis-representation of my current & prior posts on these issues. I never even hinted that UD's academic admission &retention standards were Higher or even equal to those of Wake, Stanford, Ivies, etc. I diid post that they were higher than more than a few of our current & prior CAA & non-conference opponents.
allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball »

BlueHenBill,

Did I lit a fuse? To counter your argument, there a plenty of public universities with much higher rankings. Michigan, UCLA, Virginia, North Carolina…….to name a few. Many accept “average” students who excel in athletics. But, keep a high ranking anyway.

Look, I have 2 graduate degrees from Delaware, but also have an undergraduate degree from a private elite university. So, I am neutral. I just see Wake Forest as a more prestigious and better educational experience vs. Delaware. Just as I would University of Virginia.

Andrew Carr, you did well.
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

allteamball wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:44 pm BlueHenBill,

Did I lit a fuse? To counter your argument, there a plenty of public universities with much higher rankings. Michigan, UCLA, Virginia, North Carolina…….to name a few. Many accept “average” students who excel in athletics. But, keep a high ranking anyway.

Look, I have 2 graduate degrees from Delaware, but also have an undergraduate degree from a private elite university. So, I am neutral. I just see Wake Forest as a more prestigious and better educational experience vs. Delaware. Just as I would University of Virginia.

allteamball, Most of those public universities with "much higher" rankings are as of now much heavily invested in graduate & professional education than UD. Also they are kn states that have a much larger population than DE allowing them to be more selective in admitting in-state students and still meet their enrollment goals. Agree that Wake Forest may be more prestigious but not that it is necssarily a better educational "experience" than UD.
A$$KickinChicken
UD Class: 1995

Post by A$$KickinChicken »

Carr was in attendance at the game tonight.
It is a Blue Hen world, and we are just living in it!!!
J1705
UD Class: 2005

Post by J1705 »

A$$KickinChicken wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:21 pm Carr was in attendance at the game tonight.
Thanks for leaving the team hanging …sorry I know a lot
Of folks enjoy watching him and hope he succeeds I just think there is no loyalty left these days it’s frustrating…also he’s probably smiling all the way back to Wake after that clunker we put up tonight.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

allteamball wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:44 pm BlueHenBill,

You are wasting your time Sir, The Academic Elitist strikes again!!!!

Oh and BTW all schools cheat, use players without great academics and spike the opposing teams water.

ALL EXCEPT the good ole University of Delaware!!!!! Oh boy!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can a very good education at many many establishments of higher learning
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

There’s a difference between “very good” & “elite”…
#JustWinBaby
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Hengrad07 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:33 pm There’s a difference between “very good” & “elite”…
Fair enough, you can get a very good education at the University of Delaware, among MANY other fine Universities in this Country.

Are you and BHB also cofounders of the I Hate Rachel Green Club??

Using academics is just another excuse. As I taught my kids, "Excuses are for losers"

I love UD it's not elite.
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
gonzo
UD Class: 2005

Post by gonzo »

Does Delaware athletics do anything with NIL deals?

If you go to the Wake Forest website and look at Andrew Carr's page they are promoting his Instagram, Twitter, and links to https://opendorse.com/profile/andrew-carr

The business of college basketball has changed and Delaware needs to adapt. Playing time, and facilities will only go so far.