Guys in the Portal

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BlueHenBill

Re: Guys in the Portal

Post by BlueHenBill »

Isn't Punter Pastula also in the portal?
UDHens419
UD Class: 2003

Post by UDHens419 »

BlueHenBill wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:38 pm Isn't Punter Pastula also in the portal?
Yep…
Sally in RI
UD Class: 1974

Post by Sally in RI »

This is happening all over. I firmly believe Coe would have been gone even without the coaching change. He was too good to not realize that opportunities were out there and with the new rules, why not take advantage? I wish the young man all the best!

Sally in RI
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

Ship going down . Every man for himself
UDHens419
UD Class: 2003

Post by UDHens419 »

dovetail wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:03 pm Ship going down . Every man for himself
I used to really enjoy college athletics so much more than pro because of stuff such as money driven free agency craziness. The portal feels similar and I’m not really a fan. Things will never be the same in our level of football for sure
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

dovetail wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:03 pm Ship going down . Every man for himself
See my siggy.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
ColoradoHen
UD Class: 1977

Post by ColoradoHen »

I saw an interesting article in the paper this morning; could boost recruiting and/or keep players out of the portal. A “non-profit group” in Austin, TX have funded a new program (under the guise of paying players for using their image, etc.) that will pay every UT O-Lineman on scholarship $50K per year. Used to be illegal when booster clubs did this kind of “jobs” program, but now OK under new NCAA rules. The group also said they are considering expanding the program to other UT position groups. Maybe we need a similar program to build a dominant O-line??? Might work to turn our QB transfer pipeline back on??? Any Newark area “non-profits” interested in funding???
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

It’s the Wild West out there. Everyone arm up and be ready. Blue Chips gravitate to the winners. I’m certain that Coach Rocco and his crew were scouting DII top performers to suit up as Blue Hens.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

ColoradoHen wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:41 pm I saw an interesting article in the paper this morning; could boost recruiting and/or keep players out of the portal. A “non-profit group” in Austin, TX have funded a new program (under the guise of paying players for using their image, etc.) that will pay every UT O-Lineman on scholarship $50K per year. Used to be illegal when booster clubs did this kind of “jobs” program, but now OK under new NCAA rules. The group also said they are considering expanding the program to other UT position groups. Maybe we need a similar program to build a dominant O-line??? Might work to turn our QB transfer pipeline back on??? Any Newark area “non-profits” interested in funding???
I wonder what the charitable purpose of that non profit is?
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... fer-portal

the portal hits all...even a school that poached a proven winner HC....
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

UDHens419 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:28 pm
I used to really enjoy college athletics so much more than pro because of stuff such as money driven free agency craziness. The portal feels similar and I’m not really a fan. Things will never be the same in our level of football for sure
totally get that! the one n done thing turned me off to college hoops.
HenStater

Post by HenStater »

ColoradoHen wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:41 pm I saw an interesting article in the paper this morning; could boost recruiting and/or keep players out of the portal. A “non-profit group” in Austin, TX have funded a new program (under the guise of paying players for using their image, etc.) that will pay every UT O-Lineman on scholarship $50K per year. Used to be illegal when booster clubs did this kind of “jobs” program, but now OK under new NCAA rules. The group also said they are considering expanding the program to other UT position groups. Maybe we need a similar program to build a dominant O-line??? Might work to turn our QB transfer pipeline back on??? Any Newark area “non-profits” interested in funding???
Yes. It’s going to be a minefield. A kid will have a good year and think he can cash in somewhere else where there’s more money/endorsements available. Think it’s the beginning of the end of college football. Will be non stop free agency looking for a better deal.
Henweigh
UD Class: 1900

Post by Henweigh »

Possibly the same thoughts of the BOD and their hesitancy to put out a lot of money to replace a coach?
Keepin' it real.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

HenStater wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:28 am
Yes. It’s going to be a minefield. A kid will have a good year and think he can cash in somewhere else where there’s more money/endorsements available. Think it’s the beginning of the end of college football. Will be non stop free agency looking for a better deal.
The past couple of years 25% of all Div 1 scholarship basketball players now enter the portal each year; football will look very similar very soon.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

jd of de wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:40 am
HenStater wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:28 am
The past couple of years 25% of all Div 1 scholarship basketball players now enter the portal each year; football will look very similar very soon.
Now do the numbers on already dwindling attendance and how empty the stands will be in a few more years
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019