In Memoriam: David Roselle

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Bluewyn Gold

In Memoriam: David Roselle

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Re: In Memoriam: David Roselle

Post by dchen »

In retrospect this was a man who didn't feel threatened by the success of the football team/coach.
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

Only big mistake he ever made was not influencing the BOT to choose a decent successor.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Rest in peace, thank you for your service and condolences to the family. The arts in Delaware are better because of the Roselle’s.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

jd of de wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:52 pm Rest in peace, thank you for your service and condolences to the family. The arts in Delaware are better because of the Roselle’s.
Well said, JD. I always enjoyed seeing him and Louise. Quality and class, and highly successful.

Was it during his term, where our founding moved from 1833 to 1743, and the mall into the Green? :D

A genuinely "good guy". RIP
#JUST WIN
slobberknocker

Post by slobberknocker »

I second the posts of JD and Info,the Roselles were a class act! I always enjoyed attending an event at their President’s residence, where you were always treated with class and respect. Great ambassadors for our University. Dave your presence and love for our University will be missed. RIP Dave, a true Fightin Blue Hen.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Wow. Tremendous President for UD, brought us out of the stone ages and into the modern world of universities. Great asset for UD. RIP.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

93BlueHen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 pm Only big mistake he ever made was not influencing the BOT to choose a decent successor.
93BlueHen, Are you talking about Men's Basketball, what coaches, and what year?
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

BlueHenBill wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 am
93BlueHen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 pm Only big mistake he ever made was not influencing the BOT to choose a decent successor.
I think he’s referring to Harker.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

dchen wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:23 am
Yes, no doubt at all. Mr. Roselle was a good president for the university. May he RIP. Too bad the Ivy wise guy had to come in afterwards; he caused a lot of damage.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

77HEN wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:56 am

Yes, no doubt at all. Mr. Roselle was a good president for the university. May he RIP. Too bad the Ivy wise guy had to come in afterwards; he caused a lot of damage.
Yep, nothing worse than a self appointed know it all who continuously pats himself on the back while effing it all up
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Mama Cluck loved Roselle...he treated alumni well. Roselle was grateful for her and all who were in contact with UD. Roselle gave, she gave.

When Harker came in, she said she felt as though UD treated her as a numbered asset (not a person) and a cash machine. She stopped giving entirely.

If you folks haven't seen the Roselle Center for the Arts...check it out next time you are on campus. Beautiful building...first class stage, very well done. A fitting place through which one can remember him and his impact on the campus and the university.

PS - The REP is now showing Death Trap. Walked into the theater two days ago...great looking set. The shows (over the years...we were season ticket holders for a long time until Covid) have been fantastic. Great, inexpensive date night...top notch acting. Just got myself some tickets...heard Death Trap was awesome.

https://www.rep.udel.edu/box-office/tickets
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

Maybe, but I am not clear on Harker's role in "not influencing the BOT to choose a decent successor". Again, what sport & what coaches?
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

BlueHenBill wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm

Maybe, but I am not clear on Harker's role in "not influencing the BOT to choose a decent successor". Again, what sport & what coaches?
The first “he” is Roselle. The “decent successor” is Harker.
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

mpwerrell wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 pm
BlueHenBill wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm

The first “he” is Roselle. The “decent successor” is Harker.
So we are talking about Roselle not influencing the BOTs to choose a better successor than Harker? I don't know how much influence an outgoing UD President can have in the selection of their successor nor who the other candidates were other than Harker. I agree though that Harker proved to be a terrible selection as UD President.