News Journal Article 03/20/24

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Re: News Journal Article Today 03/20/24

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:40 am Unfortunately, Carty will probably need a few more embarrassments in order to see the light.
Oh savior of the message board, rescue us from Coach Carty learning by experience. This is his first year, right?

Maybe you could send him one of your patented 1000-word posts so that he can have a first-hand experience of your hubris and know-it-allism while being able to take a nap at the same time?
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Section J wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:44 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:40 am Unfortunately, Carty will probably need a few more embarrassments in order to see the light.
Oh savior of the message board, rescue us from Coach Carty learning by experience. This is his first year, right?

Maybe you could send him one of your patented 1000-word posts so that he can have a first-hand experience of your hubris and know-it-allism while being able to take a nap at the same time?
Funny how your contributions to this thread are all about me. Obsess much? :lol:

Savior probably trumps ex-coach...although Lou Holtz comes close. That guy was a great motivator. Got to meet him once...fantastic story teller and fun guy. Hall of Fame guy...just like Tubby (and soon to be Keeler). Hopefully, Carty will do well enough here to get there, too.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:24 pm

Funny how your contributions to this thread are all about me. Obsess much? :lol:

Savior probably trumps ex-coach...although Lou Holtz comes close. That guy was a great motivator. Got to meet him once...fantastic story teller and fun guy. Hall of Fame guy...just like Tubby (and soon to be Keeler). Hopefully, Carty will do well enough here to get there, too.
Yes, Tubby and Lou Holz were two of a kind. Very personable and smart coaches who knew how to motivate.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Lou Holtz:

Once after being fired early in his career, Lou came up with a lofty list of things he wanted to accomplish in life and he proudly showed it to his wife. She said -“I don’t see get a job here on this list”.

Upon being hired as Minnesota’s coach Holtz told the school’s stakeholders that the heart and soul of the team would come from Minnesota. But, he said, you understand that the arms and legs would have to come from out of state.
77HEN

Post by 77HEN »

dchen wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:07 pm Lou Holtz:

Once after being fired early in his career, Lou came up with a lofty list of things he wanted to accomplish in life and he proudly showed it to his wife. She said -“I don’t see get a job here on this list”.

Upon being hired as Minnesota’s coach Holtz told the school’s stakeholders that the heart and soul of the team would come from Minnesota. But, he said, you understand that the arms and legs would have to come from out of state.
That’s a good one. :D
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

77HEN wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:28 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:24 pm

Yes, Tubby and Lou Holz were two of a kind. Very personable and smart coaches who knew how to motivate.
Yes it was refreshing to get some real quotes back in the day from these wise and smile inducing old school coaches, all we get today are teleprompter type answers …. Boring
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

Roger_Podacter
UD Class: 1995

Post by Roger_Podacter »

dchen wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:07 pm Lou Holtz:

LMAO

Good and funny stuff right there.
Section J

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:24 pm Funny how your contributions to this thread are all about me. Obsess much? :lol:
More of a challenge for anyone feeling superior to paid professionals who work with that team every day.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Section J wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:39 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:24 pm Funny how your contributions to this thread are all about me. Obsess much? :lol:
More of a challenge for anyone feeling superior to paid professionals who work with that team every day.
Feewings? Who said anything about feewings? You sure are putting a lot of effort into an argument that is only in your head. Rage on! :lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Section J

Post by Section J »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:53 pm Feewings? Who said anything about feewings? You sure are putting a lot of effort into an argument that is only in your head. Rage on! :lol:
The conceit that makes folks believe they know better than paid professionals is remarkable.
77HEN

Post by 77HEN »

Section J wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:02 am
Cluck U wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:53 pm Feewings? Who said anything about feewings? You sure are putting a lot of effort into an argument that is only in your head. Rage on! :lol:
The conceit that makes folks believe they know better than paid professionals is remarkable.
For sure, no one has any right to criticize paid professionals, or experts for that matter. Just ask the Eagles, Phillies or paid people from any other walk of life. The shear arrogance (and utter ignorance) of the questioners / criticizers is just beyond belief.

Sites that allow discussion should not allow these types with alternate opinions to voice themselves.

Just trying to say J that you might have lost view of things with this last post.
Section J

Post by Section J »

77HEN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:45 am Just trying to say J that you might have lost view of things with this last post.
Point taken.

The overarching issue for me is often the drumbeat of many Philly-type fans. Fire the coach (Reid/Girardi/Doc Rivers etc) because the team is performing poorly. It's just out of convenience because certainly none of those above guys, and I could have put some better names on it had I given it more thought, forgot how to coach or what it takes to win.

When we had more talented players, the 3-5-3/3-4 was just fine. Was it gonna beat the team with more talent, NO, but you couldn't beat those teams with a 4-3/5-2 7 wide either. It comes down to talent & execution and while you can hold the coaching staff accountable for not recruiting enough talent, the players have to execute. I'm not a big fan of the 3-4 scheme but do believe that Carty/Rojas know what is best based on the talent they have available.

I do want to ask Rob Thomson how a guy who struck out 215 times last season is his lead-off hitter. I also believe that if he had a better choice...........