News Journal Article 03/20/24

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Re: News Journal Article Today 03/20/24

Post by dovetail »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:06 pm Not trying to be a wise guy, but if there were a way to subscribe to KT’s stuff, but not to the Gannett junk, then I might consider doing that.

On the other hand, didn’t Gannett just drop the AP? Maybe they will go back to hiring more local writers for each market (one can always hope).

Do you know why the cost to subscribe to the NJ is peanuts that's because that is all its worth...peanuts.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

yes, it's a buck for 6 months- certainly worth it to support Tres who I respect for his body of work. The overall coverage is limited, but hey- that is the way it is. Unfortunately our UD women's bball team is not even covered on delawareonline. Whether it is due to the paper's limited resources or the team's poor record/following remains unanswered. This snub certainly doesn't benefit our womens recruiting :(
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen »

tenn hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am Unfortunately our UD women's bball team is not even covered on delawareonline. Whether it is due to the paper's limited resources or the team's poor record/following remains unanswered. This snub certainly doesn't benefit our women's recruiting :(
perhaps it's because, no matter how much the woke crowd tries to force it, no one cares about women's sports...just spitballing though...

https://youtube.com/shorts/loJ0nmwgtFM? ... KhfcqNgjgK
Last edited by Baltimore Hen on Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenn hen

Post by tenn hen »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:45 am
tenn hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am Unfortunately our UD women's bball team is not even covered on delawareonline. Whether it is due to the paper's limited resources or the team's poor record/following remains unanswered. This snub certainly doesn't benefit our women's recruiting :(
perhaps it's because, no matter how much the woke crowd tries to force it, no one cares about women's sports...just spitballing though...
you are so wrong in your "spitballing". I'm not woke but the ladies in sports have become quite appealing for many even though MOST don't match the usual physical advantage of men. Actually all you have to do is go to the golf course and watch lovely ladies score on the course 8) . I'd venture to say that many guys who play tennis would be blown off the court by the "lesser sex" who keep upping their game in all sports. Women at the gym ARE QUITE IMPRESSIVE these days. Would you feel comfortable :lol: in the batters box facing a top notch womens softball pitcher? their are endless other comparisons that come to mind. What's your response dude?
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

tenn hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:04 am
you are so wrong in your "spitballing". I'm not woke but the ladies in sports have become quite appealing for many even though MOST don't match the usual physical advantage of men. Actually all you have to do is go to the golf course and watch lovely ladies score on the course 8) . I'd venture to say that many guys who play tennis would be blown off the court by the "lesser sex" who keep upping their game in all sports. Women at the gym ARE QUITE IMPRESSIVE these days. Would you feel comfortable :lol: in the batters box facing a top notch womens softball pitcher? their are endless other comparisons that come to mind. What's your response dude?
my response is you are incorrect....the top women's tennis player would be smoked by the 200 ranked men's player....same with golf. the top WNBA team would be smoked by a top HS boys championship team. Hell, top collegiate women's swimmers get smoked by a dude who could not cut it o n the men's team....
BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby »

I have a Delaware on Line subscription and find it well worth it. Sports coverage in general is far superior to my local paper. Their local news coverage is good as well.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

BlueHenBobby wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:12 am I have a Delaware on Line subscription and find it well worth it. Sports coverage in general is far superior to my local paper. Their local news coverage is good as well.
I agree too. The local coverage is quite good.
tenn hen

Post by tenn hen »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 am

my response is you are incorrect....the top women's tennis player would be smoked by the 200 ranked men's player....same with golf. the top WNBA team would be smoked by a top HS boys championship team. Hell, top collegiate women's swimmers get smoked by a dude who could not cut it o n the men's team....
[/quote just saw your post

Your offbase take on my comment is that you missed the point entirely- anyone who follows tennis knows what you stated is generally correct, but my my reference wasn't to comparing PROs in any sports. It was to local players both men and women. A good example would be a high school tennis team where a quality girl #1 who has a USTA state ranking does beat an unranked boys team member of that same squad. The same would apply to golf. Anyone who knows a little about swimming/marathon running/etc/etc would point out similar outcomes.
Give women today more credit- they've come a long way baby.
Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen »

tenn hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:46 am
Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 am

just saw your post

Your offbase take on my comment is that you missed the point entirely- anyone who follows tennis knows what you stated is generally correct, but my my reference wasn't to comparing PROs in any sports. It was to local players both men and women. A good example would be a high school tennis team where a quality girl #1 who has a USTA state ranking does beat an unranked boys team member of that same squad. The same would apply to golf. Anyone who knows a little about swimming/marathon running/etc/etc would point out similar outcomes.
other than tennis and golf, they still don't sell tickets and are not all that exciting to watch...
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

This thread got good! I'm with Baltimore Hen. I prefer to watch the best athletes in terms of strength and speed. In football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, etc, those are all obviously men's leagues. Women aren't close. Women are certainly comparable in certain skill sports like figure skating and curling and the like. Once you get to strength and speed, women's sports are separate and unequal. Just facts.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with watching women's basketball. I can enjoy them, or minor league baseball, or a relay at the Special Olympics. Any competition can be fun.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

93BlueHen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:58 am This thread got good! I'm with Baltimore Hen. I prefer to watch the best athletes in terms of strength and speed. In football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, etc, those are all obviously men's leagues. Women aren't close. Women are certainly comparable in certain skill sports like figure skating and curling and the like. Once you get to strength and speed, women's sports are separate and unequal. Just facts.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with watching women's basketball. I can enjoy them, or minor league baseball, or a relay at the Special Olympics. Any competition can be fun.
Likewise, my son in law will only watch professional sports. He is a big Eagles/NFL/NBA fan has no interest in college football or basketball. To each his own.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

What qualifies as an athlete is in the eye of the beholder.

Heck, we all watched FCS football…now G5, certainly not top tier, but fun to watch.

For my money, Sports Illustrated hit the sweet spot with their old bathing suit issues. Marvelous athletes…observing them really got your heartbeats up!
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
tenn hen

Post by tenn hen »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:27 am
tenn hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:46 am
Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 am my response is you are incorrect....the top women's tennis player would be smoked by the 200 ranked men's player....same with golf. the top WNBA team would be smoked by a top HS boys championship team. Hell, top collegiate women's swimmers get smoked by a dude who could not cut it o n the men's team....
just saw your post

other than tennis and golf, they still don't sell tickets and are not all that exciting to watch...
FYI- you might check out the top women's SOCCER team attendance of the major players like the US, England, Spain, Brazil, and Mexico.
Women's bball is knocking attendance records as well.

also, as several posters have commented, it's all in the eye of the beholder. I find the women in action quite exciting.
Ramblinrec74
UD Class: 1976

Post by Ramblinrec74 »

It would be nice if Manny Rojas could develop a MLB type, that could jump down and play DE, and pop up to MLB position. Would give him alot flexibility and create problems for opponents OL.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Ramblinrec74 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:28 pm It would be nice if Manny Rojas could develop a MLB type, that could jump down and play DE, and pop up to MLB position. Would give him alot flexibility and create problems for opponents OL.
Appreciate your thought. Good idea.

Unfortunately, Rojas likes to put lighter LBs as the DE.

Strange…almost as though he has an idea of how defenses should work, but doesn’t recognize that he doesn’t have the horses to run it. But, subconsciously, realizing that it won’t work, he plays a passive D that he hopes will “contain” other offenses.

If you can’t match up mano a mano, you have to do something different: attack, take risks…something. Rojas seems to be stuck in IN-BETWEEN-WORLD, where he plays a defense he knows won’t work against better teams, but is resigned to getting beat.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!