UMass to the MAC

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
topstraight
UD Class: 1909

Re: UMass to the MAC

Post by topstraight »

IMHO (but based on my experience with MT--and one pretty good source at Missouri St.):

#1---The MAC will not go to 16. There is just not enough money for ANY G5 to go past 14 at this time. On top of that--the MAC is very concerned about travel costs--UD (on top of UMASS) would really stretch that footprint again.

#2--- MTSU (MT) is NOT going to the MAC. This is probably the Most ridiculous statement being repeated by a few. They turned down the MAC before--because they are not a southern based conference. Their long term goal is the AAC or maybe the SBC. Also CUSA is more stable now than it was at that time (2021). More schools, GOR, etc..

#3--- MISSOURI St. will be the next addition to CUSA. This will probably occur in the next two months or less. There have been "mentions" of this possibility in The Athletic and the local Springfield, Mo. newspaper-Springfield News Leader. Also have a good contact there who says it is happening. Of course in realignment--anything is possible.

WKU?? https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku- ... urce=login
Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Have asked this question before, perhaps it the same answer, UMass has already applied for affiliation for Men's Lacrosse and Women's rowing in the A10. The MAC had men's soccer until 2022 and Akron 6-8 years ago won the Natty in soccer. We'd be the 5th team with men's soccer. So your affiliation for men's soccer would be great!

Perhaps you can get the 7 or so sports that CUSA, G5 light does not offer, into the A10 like you are probably hoping. Idk and asking. You guys accepted an invitation 3 months before us. Understood the initial answer was waiting to see if UMass leaves the sports in the A10 and go there. Hope I paraphrased that correctly from memory. Since we took all but 2 sports, which one in particular need us to stay for 6 members, the rest fit nicely in the MAC. Realize there is no rush and we only accepted the MAC invitation a short while ago.

That 92.3 Fan interview where the MAC commissioner said that talks really did not get going until late fall. Wonder if that is when Delaware accepted the CUSA invitation and decided they rathur take UMass now, then see CUSA get us. Idk, just speculation that does not even buy a cup of coffee.

Think either conference is fine, but curious about our men's soccer program and the MAC.

Current MAC teams, UMass and added in Delaware to see how it looked.
6 Western Michigan
45 Akron
81 Delaware
92 NIU
103 UMass
118 Bowling Green

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-me ... soccer-rpi
Last edited by Steve1981 on Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

topstraight wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:51 pm
Henny wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:39 pm The MAC is the Hotel California of college football conferences and maybe for several reasons wasn’t a good fit for UD. UD sees its peers as the FBS schools in the east, so it’s CUSA for now and stay tuned!
You are right, Henny!
Good one!

EF Henny … when he posts everyone should listen
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
topstraight

Post by topstraight »

topstraight wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:23 am IMHO (but based on my experience with MT--and one pretty good source at Missouri St.):

#1---The MAC will not go to 16. There is just not enough money for ANY G5 to go past 14 at this time. On top of that--the MAC is very concerned about travel costs--UD (on top of UMASS) would really stretch that footprint again.

#2--- MTSU (MT) is NOT going to the MAC. This is probably the Most ridiculous statement being repeated by a few. They turned down the MAC before--because they are not a southern based conference. Their long term goal is the AAC or maybe the SBC. Also CUSA is more stable now than it was at that time (2021). More schools, GOR, etc..

#3--- MISSOURI St. will be the next addition to CUSA. This will probably occur in the next two months or less. There have been "mentions" of this possibility in The Athletic and the local Springfield, Mo. newspaper-Springfield News Leader. Also have a good contact there who says it is happening. Of course in realignment--anything is possible.

WKU?? https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku- ... urce=login
New Missouri St. President to be hired this week--once that happens everything else is next.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

topstraight wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:23 am
It’s a single source; he told me this morning that Missouri St is happening and will be announced in an April to June timeframe.
topstraight

Post by topstraight »

Yes, Thanks "jd of de"! You were "talking" Missouri St. Five Days Before UD membership was even announced in the media.

More in the next post.
Last edited by topstraight on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
topstraight

Post by topstraight »

jd of de wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:59 pm
topstraight wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:23 am
It’s a single source; he told me this morning that Missouri St is happening and will be announced in an April to June timeframe.
****************************************************************************************************************************

Post by jd of de » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:55 pm

Tell your friend Mr Whup to drop UMass and insert Missouri State. From what I’m hearing, those are the two most likely CUSA adds.

I also hear the MAC and UMass are talking, but the MAC and Delaware no longer are, but were talking. I think they told us “not now”. All of that is from a single source, so I’m not taking it all as gospel.

******************************************************************************************************************************
Tip of the hat to "jd of de" for having an excellent source--beginning back in November--well over three months ago. Congrats!
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Missouri State has been on CUSA's radar for a significant time. I recall reading news reports mentioning their name & CUSA as early as last spring. I first mentioned it here on Nov. 2. Not that I claim to have any source with info; just read online media reports that have been consistent since last May.

MSU has facilities as good and, in some cases, better than UD's. They also have a favorable location and the seeming desire to be FBS. Regardless of whether WKU stays or goes, why not?
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:52 am Missouri State has been on CUSA's radar for a significant time. I recall reading news reports mentioning their name & CUSA as early as last spring. I first mentioned it here on Nov. 2. Not that I claim to have any source with info; just read online media reports that have been consistent since last May.

MSU has facilities as good and, in some cases, better than UD's. They also have a favorable location and the seeming desire to be FBS. Regardless of whether WKU stays or goes, why not?
sure, I agree BG- they are fine as another conference foe. I caught the end of their womens bball game yesterday and liked what I saw. Any stronger teams than ours in that sport would be a blessing for us fans. An afterthought- I hope the officiating crews in CUSA are improvement over the knuckleheads that call our games :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Thanks, HENJOHN. Interesting how we are currently in the CAA, where we did not want the recent additions, to CUSA, where we are concerned about who might leave.

I see WKU as a fun rival for the future, wanting them to stay! Your link is a positive spin.
#JUST WIN
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Thanks for the link, HJ.

It would be nice to keep the Hilltoppers in CUSA. Interesting that the writer theorizes that if WKU moves, EKU (another former UD rival from the good ol’ days) might move up and fill the spot.

Always fun to do the thought experiments, but, unfortunately, this guy is only a writer and doesn’t seem like a real insider.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

The FAU March Madness money.
The Liberty NY6 money.
Delaware & Missouri St entrance fee money.

I’m not convinced WKU wants into the MAC so badly, or their travel expenses are reduced so much, that they can justify walking away from those three income payments from CUSA. And there is the CUSA exit fee, CUSA GOR penalty payment and the MAC entrance fee to factor in as well.

The napkin economics make the case for staying, not leaving for WKU. At minimum, WKU doesn’t need to make any sudden moves.

And the MAC doesn’t have any need to make any quick adds. Since dumping divisions, adds only increases the number of schools each does not play each year in football and the number of schools each only plays once in basketball.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

A complete aside, but I notice that Western Michigan in the MAC, has only 5 of 12 games at home this year. Four of the first 5 games are on the road, with the home game being Bethune Cookman. They open the season on the road at Wisconsin and then at The Ohio State.

If that is not a sign of financial desperation, I don't know what is. Maybe I just don't understand. Tough for their fans, though.
#JUST WIN
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Good points, Mr. JD.

Conference moves are made by administrators, who generally have broader institutional concerns that go well beyond athletics. Who knows where WKU's administration is on this at this point?

It doesn't seem obvious to us how a move to the MAC, whose focus is largely relegated to the Rust Belt, would benefit WKU. Would any cost savings on travel move the needle substantially? Does WKU target IL, MI, IN, and OH for a sizable percentage of their student and athlete recruitment versus, say, MO, TN, VA, and states south? Does being the 14th member of the MAC benefit them more with post-season opportunities and payouts than it does as a member of an 11 or 12-team CUSA? Don't know the answers to those questions, but I suspect they make all the difference in the world.

On the UMass thing, I do wonder if they chose the MAC because a spot in CUSA was not offered to them. In other words, the MAC was their only choice. That might signal that CUSA decided to go in another direction months ago, possibly before adding Delaware. Maybe the move that far to the northeast was a bridge too far for a conference already spread from NM to FL to DE.