UMass to the MAC

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Re: UMass to the MAC

Post by rooneyguy »

Why would Western Kentucky want to leave CUSA when it is, according to some posters, a far superior conference to the MAC? Asking for a friend.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

rooneyguy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:07 pm Why would Western Kentucky want to leave CUSA when it is, according to some posters, a far superior conference to the MAC? Asking for a friend.
Have the friend ask them and report back.

I guess this is what fills the void for praising or excusing MI?
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:14 pm
jd of de wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:36 pmThe Minutemen not having to fill a 12 game schedule as an independent will free up other eastern seaboard schools to consider home-home contracts with the Hens.
Very good point, sir.

Not shocked UMass is moving back to the MAC but with all sports this time. Travel would be much the same in CUSA: a lot of flights either way.

The Toledo paper indicates there's mutual interest between Western Kentucky and the MAC. That would not be good news for Delaware. https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/col ... 240226098
Bluewyn Gold, Why would W Kentucky leaving the CUSA for the MAC "not be good news for Delaware"?
BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill »

I was told relatively recently from a source that I respect and who should be in a position to know that when UD was considering its move to FBS UD approached the MAC and was told that the MAC had no interest in adding UD. When I asked why, this source said that they did not know. I would appreciate it if anyone on these boards is in a position where they can confirm or refute this story here. Further, if offering a confirmation I would appreciate any insight into why the MAC would not be interested in adding UD.

I believe that the majority opinion on these boards is that CUSA is a better move for UD than the MAC would be. I would appreciate any pros or cons and the reasons why to that view.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

jd of de wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:40 pmOn top of the standard $3.0m exit fee.
Or would they get the same $1.75M exit fee deal that Marshall, USM & ODU paid out?
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

BlueHenBill wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:43 pmBluewyn Gold, Why would W Kentucky leaving the CUSA for the MAC "not be good news for Delaware"?
How would losing a solid football and men's basketball program be a plus for Delaware, William?
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Hens79 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:45 pm
rooneyguy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:07 pm Why would Western Kentucky want to leave CUSA when it is, according to some posters, a far superior conference to the MAC? Asking for a friend.

Too funny, 79…maybe the same friend should stomp up and down and throw chairs in protest of our move to CUSA??? 😆

just another example of how some continue to make excuses for MI and use exaggerations to make their point.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

finpxz1 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:59 pm

Too funny, 79…maybe the same friend should stomp up and down and throw chairs in protest of our move to CUSA??? 😆

just another example of how some continue to make excuses for MI and use exaggerations to make their point.
UDMBB should be better, but I'll take MI’s 8 years over Ross’ 10 years, all day long!
#JustWinBaby
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

From one of the articles linked above

“Conference USA is as transitory of a conference as there is in college football, while the MAC has been about as stable as any conference throughout history. Standing at 10 teams for the 2024 season, the CUSA is the smallest conference in the FBS— but it has housed more programs than any other league, despite first launching in 1996. Of the 134 teams set to compete in the FBS in 2024, 31 have participated in the CUSA — over 23 percent of all football programs at the top level”
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Hengrad07 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:43 am
finpxz1 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:59 pm

UDMBB should be better, but I'll take MI’s 8 years over Ross’ 10 years, all day long!
Well that’s certainly something to aspire to…being better than Monte Ross. Holy smokes Batman!!!
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

dchen wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:20 am From one of the articles linked above

“Conference USA is as transitory of a conference as there is in college football, while the MAC has been about as stable as any conference throughout history. Standing at 10 teams for the 2024 season, the CUSA is the smallest conference in the FBS— but it has housed more programs than any other league, despite first launching in 1996. Of the 134 teams set to compete in the FBS in 2024, 31 have participated in the CUSA — over 23 percent of all football programs at the top level”
CUSA - Can U Stay Awhile?

Sure, but not too long.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

dchen wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:20 am From one of the articles linked above

CUSA sounds like the AirBnb of FBS but still more interesting than the rust belt MAC
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:41 pm
Or would they get the same $1.75M exit fee deal that Marshall, USM & ODU paid out?
That amount was correct in 2022, but I was told it's gone up to $3m and that took place in 2023 when the GOR went into effect.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

jd of de wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:07 am
Bluewyn Gold wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:41 pm
That amount was correct in 2022, but I was told it's gone up to $3m and that took place in 2023 when the GOR went into effect.
When is Delaware officially in CUSA?

Rumors and I’ll say it again rumors flying that Delaware could still go the MAC before July 1st thus avoiding the CUSA exit fee

Of course they would need to be invited and even if they were, Delaware is probably not even contemplating such a move

Source: Joe fan
Credibility: slim to none
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

BlueHenBill wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:57 pm I was told relatively recently from a source that I respect and who should be in a position to know that when UD was considering its move to FBS UD approached the MAC and was told that the MAC had no interest in adding UD. When I asked why, this source said that they did not know. I would appreciate it if anyone on these boards is in a position where they can confirm or refute this story here. Further, if offering a confirmation I would appreciate any insight into why the MAC would not be interested in adding UD.

I believe that the majority opinion on these boards is that CUSA is a better move for UD than the MAC would be. I would appreciate any pros or cons and the reasons why to that view.
Does the MAC have any history of transitioning in a program from FCS?