Lefty Driesell Passing

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Lefty Driesell Passing

Post by dchen »

Maryland's coach from 69 to 86. He elevated UMD basketball to relevancy but never got them into a final 4. His 1974 team was probably 3rd best in the nation but the lost the ACC final to NC State who went on to end UCLA's national championship run. Back then, only the conference champions got into March Madness. That 74 team included a 6-11 player named Tom McMillen, a highly sought recruit out of high school who was also a Rhodes scholar and later a Congressman from Maryland. At the time of his recruitment, his somewhat older cousin, John McMillen, played for Delaware. The story going around was about a conversation between Delaware's head coach, Dan Peterson, and John McMillen. The conversation was said to have gone like this:

Peterson: "John, I need to speak with you.
John: Forget it Coach. It ain't happening."

Driesell was hilarious. When the ACC was considering adding a third official he was opposed. He said right now, when we play in Carolina it's 7 against 5 on the court. I don't want it to become 8 against 5.
UDPat

Re: Lefty Driesell Passing

Post by UDPat »

That ACC final might have been the greatest college basketball game ever played. Before cable we turn our antenna to pick up the Baltimore stations. They televised the ACC tournament. That was awesome.

Also He coached Moses Malone!!! Yup for 2 days. Moses went into his office and told him the offer form the Spirit of St. Louis, 7 years like 1.7M

Lefty's response: "Go"!!!!!!!!
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

McMillen was all set to go to North Carolina. His Mom caught him using Coach Smith's credit card to make long distance phone calls to other potential recruits. She told him, He could go any where but North Carolina after that.
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
UDJoe

Post by UDJoe »

dchen wrote: Driesell was hilarious. When the ACC was considering adding a third official he was opposed. He said right now, when we play in Carolina it's 7 against 5 on the court. I don't want it to become 8 against 5.

Spoken like any true graduate of Duke -- a fact that belied the "country bumpkin" image that Lefty portrayed so well.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

ACC basketball was big in the 70s and I was a big Maryland fan. Dad told me Lefty couldn’t coach because his teams didn’t play Defense and the Big 10 would eat the talented Maryland teams alive. One quote I remember from Lefty was “I will make Maryland the UCLA of the east” …. Never did work out for Maryland while Lefty was there but his teams were always fun to watch and always had talent and a rabid fan base … I miss those cold January nights watching Maryland hoops and those long school days where it was my job to get the history teacher/hoops coach talking basketball for 45 minutes while the class goofed off. You’ll have the rest of your life to learn about Millard Fillmore

RIP Lefty
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »