Drexel

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
finpxz1

Re: Drexel

Post by finpxz1 »

Thanks JD...I appreciate you giving your blessing. Go Hens!!!
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

jd of de wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:00 pm Keep posting all you’d like fin. I admit when every post says the same thing, it does require less thought and effort.
Unfortunately, we see the same thing over and over again with UD hoops. That is the real issue, not a couple of guys taking their ball and going home.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

gonzo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:33 pm Davis and Drumgoole took 36 shots yesterday and made only 14 for a 38% FG percentage

The rest of team shot 12-24 50%

Looks like it's back to the two man show they had last year. It's not pretty and it's not efficient.

The Blue Hens desperately need a lead point guard who can get the entire offense involved.

Ingelsby must add a defensive big and a true PG next year or we're looking at another 17-20 win season and a 5th or 6th seed. Middle of the pack.

Delaware is a mid mid major.
Real question gonzo. Who would be the other scorers if defenses are catching on to Reilly and not letting him get open looks and they also jam the lane so Trent cant drive?

This isn’t a bad UD team. But they just have big holes. I agree with your bottom line assessment.
gonzo
UD Class: 2005

Post by gonzo »

Hens79 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:06 pm
gonzo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:33 pm Davis and Drumgoole took 36 shots yesterday and made only 14 for a 38% FG percentage

The rest of team shot 12-24 50%

Looks like it's back to the two man show they had last year. It's not pretty and it's not efficient.

The Blue Hens desperately need a lead point guard who can get the entire offense involved.

Ingelsby must add a defensive big and a true PG next year or we're looking at another 17-20 win season and a 5th or 6th seed. Middle of the pack.

Delaware is a mid mid major.
Real question gonzo. Who would be the other scorers if defenses are catching on to Reilly and not letting him get open looks and they also jam the lane so Trent cant drive?

This isn’t a bad UD team. But they just have big holes. I agree with your bottom line assessment.
They don't have one. Their scoring options are limited outside of Davis and Drumgoole.

Drumgoole should ideally serve as the third scoring option on a contender. While the team boasts capable role players, they lack consistent game-changing impact. The absence of a lead guard is evident for them to be considered genuine contenders.

Trent and Lane excel in athleticism and defense but struggle with shooting.
Reilly has a solid shooting game but lacks ball-handling skills.
Ray is effective but struggles to create his own scoring opportunities.
Houser's shooting ability is noteworthy, but he faces challenges staying on the court and doesn't complement Davis well in this offensive system. Bethea remains uncertain, and hopefully, he can contribute to the scoring role as he ramps up closer to the tournament.
Hens79

Post by Hens79 »

Pretty good summary gonzo. I am not quite as concerned about the point guard but largely agree with everything you said. Not that we are hoops geniuses, as this stuff is all pretty clear.

One thing you said I totally agree with. You said “in this system”. That is my biggest issue with MI. His system doesn’t utilize point guards, post players or pressure defense. And on top of that, it usually lacks in 3 pt shooting. And then he brings in athletic but offensively challenged guards like Trent and Lane but doesn’t play much pressure defense. Hopefully Bethea can help with the offense and the depth to play a little more pressure defense.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

I nominate Coach George Walker to succeed Martin Ingelsby as the next Head Coach of Men's Basketball.

He is very offensive minded as note by his 2nd most famous statement: "Shoot the ball, shoot the ball, can't score if you don't shoot the ball"

Now his most famous statement: The retort was, as He stormed out the gym, "Leave the ball George"

11-8

10-1
1-7

Complain about what we don't have, everyone is well within their right. How does that help?

I have only looked at ways to improve this Team now, could these guys all get their shooting game together and we become a dynamic shooting team overnight? I suppose it's possible.

I have 19 games to say they most likely won't.

I also have those same 19 games that shows a trend where we win 90% of the time when achieved. We lose 85% of the time when it's not.
Shouldn't we be focused on ensuring that trend as often as possible?
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

I nominate Coach George Walker to succeed Martin Ingelsby as the next Head Coach of Men's Basketball.

MI is not going anywhere. Stop the dreaming. MI is a heck of a sight better than the last two coaches here. Football is king here. The basketball program might have an exceptional season once every 8 to 10 years and be average or slightly above average the rest. Want a similar program, look at baseball.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

dovetail wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:36 am I nominate Coach George Walker to succeed Martin Ingelsby as the next Head Coach of Men's Basketball.

MI is not going anywhere. Stop the dreaming. MI is a heck of a sight better than the last two coaches here. Football is king here. The basketball program might have an exceptional season once every 8 to 10 years and be average or slightly above average the rest. Want a similar program, look at baseball.

Could that statement I made have gone straight over your head???? Not surprisingly it has.

Do a little research before you comment about something I posted.

It's crystal clear you have NO IDEA who George Walker is or the reference.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

UDPat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:13 pm
dovetail wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:36 am I nominate Coach George Walker to succeed Martin Ingelsby as the next Head Coach of Men's Basketball.

Could that statement I made have gone straight over your head???? Not surprisingly it has.

Loved that movie. But, your rating of quotes might be a bit off. :lol:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... t34vus3f9q
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Cluck U wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:25 pm
UDPat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:13 pm

Loved that movie. But, your rating of quotes might be a bit off. :lol:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... t34vus3f9q
Oh boy, Mr. Helper

I was only referring to George Walker Quote's and read the post I am referring to. He thinks I'm serious
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

My guess is you’re probably right, but who knows. Chrissi has demonstrated a knack for making changes across the board if she feels a change is needed. Hopefully things turn around in the 2nd half of the season and we can make a run at the conference title.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

So everyone knows, I was not serious, Coach Ingelsby is here!!!!! I'll leave that debate up to you

I am trying to focus solely on what could possibly improve this team down the stretch. Still sticking with 10-8 and I'm not as optimistic as most, 12-6 is a popular choice but what I don't like is the popular reason given: I don't think they are that good but the league is so bad they will win 12.

Those teams slip up somewhere along the line. You win when you're good, not necessarily because other teams are bad.

While there are multiple issues, I know what I am focusing on, it may also be the most controllable. What does it guarantee? Nothing.

I am not looking at what we don't have and using that as an excuse. My feelings on excuses has been explained before.

Which do I have more control of as Coach for the rest of the season?

Hoping my Team shoots better down the stretch? They can take a 1000 shots a day
Taking a more hands on approach and figure out the best way to limit my opponents possessions and pace of the game?? Not easy for sure.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

It’s frustrating because this team has some component parts that make us very competitive…look at the Xavier and Rhode Island wins, as well as the very strong performance against Princeton. Having said that, the missing pieces continue to prevent us from taking that next step…not enough size and depth in the post, not enough outside shooting, not enough mental and physical toughness, not enough bench strength…the same issues that we have seen time and time again with MI during his tenure. Hopefully we can play defense for a full 40 minutes, but that is awfully difficult to do night in and night out. Eventually someone has to put the ball in the basket. I do think 12 and 6 is possible, but the realist in me agrees that 10 and 8 is more likely. Trying to stay positive, but the inconsistency with this team makes it challenging. Wouldn’t it be something if Monte Ross came into the Bob Thursday night and pulls off an upset. Really hoping that doesn’t happen, but you have to think they will be fired up to play us.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

rooneyguy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:05 am
GVHen87 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:08 pm I hate to start pounding the coach again after pounding Ross and Henderson a lot, but I am getting to that point. Something is just not gelling. The team doesn't seem to play hard enough to play good D. Someone earlier mentioned Riley's lack of scoring, but I can't recall him having an open look all day. The shots he took were all forced - including the bank 3. Can't they run plays to free him up?

And how bout Monroe's dunk with Drexel up a lot with about 2 seconds left? Bush league. Too bad someone didn't give him a forearm on his way to the bucket - but no one seemed to care. I sure hope the Hens remember that the next time they play Drexel.
IMHO, I think opponents have scouted Reilly enough to know that he can't/won't drive to the basket and isn't quick enough to get himself open otherwise. That means that one defender can stay on him and basically nullify him as a weapon. I won't mention his defensive liabilities, but it all adds up. I would expect his playing time to decrease from here on out if MI really wants to play a tougher and more physical brand of basketball.
I can totally relate to this from my own long list of hoops liabilities and it’s why I believe in defense …. Delaware doesn’t play it
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019