FBS attendance requirements and other interesting stuff

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Big R
UD Class: 1975

FBS attendance requirements and other interesting stuff

Post by Big R »

I thought this was an interesting and informative article focused on FCS schools in Texas (there are 9). I’m pretty sure that all the various school administration officials quoted anonymously are from those schools.

Obviously, UD has already been through these considerations and made the decision to move up. One aspect of the NCAA October rule changes that I had missed was the elimination of the 15,000 average paid attendance requirement for FBS schools that had caused a number of schools (UMass, Akron, Ball State, etc.) to have to buy their own tickets for years in order to get to the mandated 15,000 average (many then gave them away to charities). So, apparently there is no longer any paid attendance requirement to be an FBS school. I don’t think this would have been a significant issue for UD, even given the drop in average attendance over the last decade or so. And with the move up to FBS, one would hope that our attendance numbers have bottomed out (well, maybe that will happen next year, given the schedule), and should start climbing once we begin Conference USA play.

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2 ... view_title
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU
Ramblinrec74
UD Class: 1976

Re: FBS attendance requirements and other interesting stuff

Post by Ramblinrec74 »

I hope they have bottomed out, but I have a feeling that if ticket and parking prices jump, and we take a beating for a few years once we start Conf. USA, we may not see the bottom yet. I definitely will miss the playoffs, and some of the away game travel!
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Ramblinrec74 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:34 pm I hope they have bottomed out, but I have a feeling that if ticket and parking prices jump, and we take a beating for a few years once we start Conf. USA, we may not see the bottom yet. I definitely will miss the playoffs, and some of the away game travel!
The email today did say that season ticket prices for folks renewing for 2024 will not increase in the first FBS season in 2025, so that means no increase this year and no increase next year, at least for current season ticket holders that are renewing this year.

There's certainly going to be some cost increase - that's the price to play in a better conference with better opponents and hopefully in a facility that just keeps improving.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

Top 2023 FCS attendance schools:

https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/17 ... 06/photo/1

Delaware averaged 13,917 across seven games, including a couple bad-weather contests and just over 4,000 (counted) for Lafayette playoff game.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

The 15K attendance requirement was dropped in exchange for increasing the entrance fee to $5M.
Caldwell Chicken

Post by Caldwell Chicken »

Does anyone have information on how the NCAA justified an enormous increase in the fee? $5K to $5M.
Also, what does the NCAA do with this money?
Just curious.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:13 pm The 15K attendance requirement was dropped in exchange for increasing the entrance fee to $5M.
Well, revenue from one home game should cover that fee.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Caldwell Chicken wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:21 pmDoes anyone have information on how the NCAA justified an enormous increase in the fee? $5K to $5M.
I've not read an explanation for the increase; however, the increase and other changes imply that the NCAA (and current FBS constituency) wants to make sure that schools who make they move in the future are serious and have the finances to do so. Presumably, the $5M goes to the NCAA for operating costs, including those associated with hosting its many post-season tournaments, etc. Eliminating silly and very easily skirted qualifications like average attendance makes complete sense.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:25 pm
Caldwell Chicken wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:21 pmDoes anyone have information on how the NCAA justified an enormous increase in the fee? $5K to $5M.
I've not read an explanation for the increase; however, the increase and other changes imply that the NCAA (and current FBS constituency) wants to make sure that schools who make they move in the future are serious and have the finances to do so. Presumably, the $5M goes to the NCAA for operating costs, including those associated with hosting its many post-season tournaments, etc. Eliminating silly and very easily skirted qualifications like average attendance makes complete sense.
Seems a bit odd that the fee for transferring up to FBS would be budgeted for regular operating expenses. Most organizations do not make their operating expenses dependent on large oddball/inconsistent/unpredictable revenue bumps. What if no team transfers up for a couple years?

Just feels like a scam. It surely doesn’t cost the NCAA any measurable amount to add a team to FBS…the conferences would cover the necessary changes to their communications. Zero reason for the fee…except to fatten some bonus checks.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Cluck U wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pmSeems a bit odd that the fee for transferring up to FBS would be budgeted for regular operating expenses. Most organizations do not make their operating expenses dependent on large oddball/inconsistent/unpredictable revenue bumps. What if no team transfers up for a couple years?

Just feels like a scam. It surely doesn’t cost the NCAA any measurable amount to add a team to FBS…the conferences would cover the necessary changes to their communications. Zero reason for the fee…except to fatten some bonus checks.
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest the NCAA depended on fees derived from FBS transitions as a main source of revenue. It's just a tiny excess to help defray expenses. ($5M is a drop in a 10 gallon bucket.) You're right; the NCAA would go broke if they had to depend on future FCS reclassifications. There may not be many from here on out, given the financial requirements now in place.

Make no mistake, protectionist elements are at play here. The NCAA through its FBS leadership intend to minimize future FCS reclassification. Imposing a hefty entrance fee is but one way to accomplish that.

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2016/5/13/w ... ey-go.aspx
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Caldwell Chicken wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:21 pm Does anyone have information on how the NCAA justified an enormous increase in the fee? $5K to $5M.
Also, what does the NCAA do with this money?
Just curious.
Next years move to a 12-team football playoff system has a new sharing agreement, which I have not taken the time to learn, but under the old 4-team playoff system, each G5 conference received a payout equal to $1m per school in that conference and all of FCS received $1m total, and divided that up between all the FCS conferences.

Hence a $5m entrance fee covers what the NCAA needs to payout of the big boys playoff payday for the first 5 years. Another way the P4s are showing, that hate sharing money with anyone.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

jd of de wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:27 pmHence a $5m entrance fee covers what the NCAA needs to payout of the big boys playoff payday for the first 5 years. Another way the P4s are showing, that hate sharing money with anyone.
Doesn't the CFP Administration alone govern, administer, and distribute revenues to conferences from the FBS post-season, not the NCAA?

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/index.aspx
Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:25 pm
Cluck U wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pmSeems a bit odd that the fee for transferring up to FBS would be budgeted for regular operating expenses. Most organizations do not make their operating expenses dependent on large oddball/inconsistent/unpredictable revenue bumps. What if no team transfers up for a couple years?

Oh, I didn't mean to suggest the NCAA depended on fees derived from FBS transitions as a main source of revenue. It's just a tiny excess to help defray expenses. ($5M is a drop in a 10 gallon bucket.) You're right; the NCAA would go broke if they had to depend on future FCS reclassifications. There may not be many from here on out, given the financial requirements now in place.

Make no mistake, protectionist elements are at play here. The NCAA through its FBS leadership intend to minimize future FCS reclassification. Imposing a hefty entrance fee is but one way to accomplish that.

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2016/5/13/w ... ey-go.aspx
That was my first thought, but the article in my original post makes it pretty clear that, at least for some of the Texas FCS schools, $5 mil is not a barrier at all. And it wasn’t for UD, either. Seems more like a money-making scheme to me, pure and simple. The question that several have posed here is valid - for who?
Mickey to Rocky about SPEED - https://youtu.be/N0GdQyIm7DU