From Albany to Miami U

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Henway

From Albany to Miami U

Post by Henway »

Reese Poffenbarger goes in the portal and comes out at the "U". Not to shabby of an outcome for him.
Bluewyn Gold

Re: From Albany to Miami U

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

The carousel that is his college career continues - from ODU to SUNY-Albany and now to Miami. Such is college football in 2024. Good luck, young man.

I'm all for players getting the opportunity to move if a situation doesn't work for them, but this type of untethered freedom is probably not in the best interests of college football over the longer term. At some point, I think we'll see common sense limitations imposed by the conferences, followed by a court challenge.

Complicated issue.
Roger_Podacter
UD Class: 1995

Post by Roger_Podacter »

This has been College Football for a while now, no?

Didn't Pat Devlin commit to the U, then go to Penn State, then to Delaware? And that was over 10 years ago.
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:22 pm The carousel that is his college career continues - from ODU to SUNY-Albany and now to Miami. Such is college football in 2024. Good luck, young man.

I'm all for players getting the opportunity to move if a situation doesn't work for them, but this type of untethered freedom is probably not in the best interests of college football over the longer term. At some point, I think we'll see common sense limitations imposed by the conferences, followed by a court challenge.

Complicated issue.
The NCAA's hands are tied on this. The last semblance of a rule discouraging multiple-time transfers was the NCAA's transfer eligibility rule, which required players who transferred for a second time (or more) to sit out a year of competition unless they obtained a waiver. Several U.S. states filed suit in federal court last month on behalf of student-athletes alleging the rule violated federal antitrust law, and the judge issued a preliminary ruling in which he essentially found that the rule likely violated the Sherman Act. The NCAA then stipulated to suspend enforcement of the rule until the case is resolved.

The existence of NIL has tipped the legal scale on this issue in favor of athletes because there is now a tangible economic harm to tie to restrictions on player mobility. If you restrict an athlete from transferring to a different school to play sports, you are depriving the athlete of NIL income he would earn playing for that school. There are also other potential harms like an athlete's professional prospects, the opportunity to play at a university which better suits their academic or mental wellbeing than their current one, etc.

I don't see the NCAA introducing new enforceable restrictions on player mobility until it devises an entirely new, comprehensive paradigm for governing college athletics (which may be different enough from the current system that it mitigates some of the legal issues).
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:22 pm The carousel that is his college career continues - from ODU to SUNY-Albany and now to Miami. Such is college football in 2024. Good luck, young man.

Complicated issue.
And like a high school sweetheart, it was so simple and pure in the beginning

Let’s form up a team and go play em on Saturday afternoon

Today we might as well call our Blue Hens the Blue Rocks, grooming players for the next level

We have a situation totally devoid of leadership is right
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:05 pm

Complicated issue.

Today we might as well call our Blue Hens the Blue Rocks, grooming players for the next level

it's the death of college football....pretty soon it will be totally unwatchable, much like college basketball ...
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

just back from dinner out, turned on the tv for the CFC fame, checked my mutual funds after a nice day on the market.
really pumped for this game. If it's anything like the semis, it will be EPIC- go Huskies

carpe the game-I like the sky box offered on directv - over and out
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:10 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:05 pm

Complicated issue.

it's the death of college football....pretty soon it will be totally unwatchable, much like college basketball ...
talked about this a year ago, death spiral
Los Angeles Harballers
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:10 pmit's the death of college football....pretty soon it will be totally unwatchable
That might be taking it a bit too far. There will have to be adjustments to the system sooner or later and the pendulum will swing back towards protecting the best interests of the game. Boosters are the ones who pay much of the freight. If it gets too out of hand, it'll impact attendance and interest and changes will have to occur or the money won't be there to the degree it is now. Supply and demand, legal challenges or not.