I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Re: I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Post by Steve1981 »

Very happy with your move to FBS and CUSA. Our Athletic committee meets April 2nd and full board of trustees meet April 10th. Hope we get the nod for CUSA and join you.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Georgia obliterates Florida State in their bowl game.

I mentioned before…bowl games are getting to be useless. Two dozen FSU players chose not to play in the game…many protesting their team not getting chosen to play in the FBS playoffs. The bowl committee cancelled the coaches’ press conference to avoid controversy. :lol:

Wheeeeeee!

In many other bowl games, plenty of top players chose/are choosing to not risk their future pro careers to an injury to play a bowl game. The transfer portal also took many other players out of the games (although at least one coach allowed his outgoing players to play).

And yes, we have seen FCS players and coaches leave their teams in the playoffs, despite playing for a possible national championship.

So, our Hens will be playing in CUSA with the goal of getting into a bowl game. Let’s be thankful that several of the CUSA bowl games are in warm climates with fun destinations…the game will not count for anything, so one might as well enjoy a nice football based vacation with fellow Hens fans in the area. I’d definitely hit the Bahamas’ Bowl and a couple others…but if the game were in Outlier Jabbip…no thanks.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

Cluck U wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:43 am I’d definitely hit the Bahamas’ Bowl and a couple others…but if the game were in Outlier Jabbip…no thanks.
C'mon, man. You know you want to go to UNC Charlotte's stadium at 2:30pm on a Monday in mid-December to attend a Famous Toastery Bowl with me.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Oregonhen
UD Class: 1995

Post by Oregonhen »

Cluck U wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:43 am

So, our Hens will be playing in CUSA with the goal of getting into a bowl game. Let’s be thankful that several of the CUSA bowl games are in warm climates with fun destinations…the game will not count for anything, so one might as well enjoy a nice football based vacation with fellow Hens fans in the area. I’d definitely hit the Bahamas’ Bowl and a couple others…but if the game were in Outlier Jabbip…no thanks.
If the CFP would have been 12 teams this year, Liberty would have been in it. Goal for every year should be to be the best G5 school and get into the playoff. One could argue that if JMU was eligible this year it could have been them.

If we don't go into FBS with that mentality, we are going to be in a rude awakening very quickly. Hopefully they figure out a way to at least make the bowls fun. If they have no relevance with a 4-team playoff, they will have even less with a 12 team one.
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

My hope if UMass makes the move, UMass can leave it's Lacrosse, men's soccer, swimming & diving in the A10. Has it been decide on where your other sports will be, CAA, still being worked out, or some other league?
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Steve1981 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:15 pm My hope if UMass makes the move, UMass can leave it's Lacrosse, men's soccer, swimming & diving in the A10. Has it been decide on where your other sports will be, CAA, still being worked out, or some other league?
Our other sports are not wanted in the CAA. Maybe we move ours to the A10, and join you there, if they will keep UMass.
It will all be worked out, I am sure.
#JUST WIN
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Info Hound wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:54 pm
Steve1981 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:15 pm My hope if UMass makes the move, UMass can leave it's Lacrosse, men's soccer, swimming & diving in the A10. Has it been decide on where your other sports will be, CAA, still being worked out, or some other league?
Our other sports are not wanted in the CAA. Maybe we move ours to the A10, and join you there, if they will keep UMass.
It will all be worked out, I am sure.
Thanks. Know we are being graceful to the A10, which can help in leaving our teams there. They do need us for men's soccer and we are both very good to excellent in lacrosse.
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

Oregonhen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:34 pm

If the CFP would have been 12 teams this year, Liberty would have been in it. Goal for every year should be to be the best G5 school and get into the playoff. One could argue that if JMU was eligible this year it could have been them.

If we don't go into FBS with that mentality, we are going to be in a rude awakening very quickly. Hopefully they figure out a way to at least make the bowls fun. If they have no relevance with a 4-team playoff, they will have even less with a 12 team one.
Many of the bowl games are going to be increasingly irrelevant unless the NCAA is able to somehow get over the legal hurdles and put some restrictions on when the transfer portal opens and closes (like the NFL does with free agency). They currently are still able to continue to govern the recruitment calendar, so there ought to be a way to govern the portal more sensibly.

Going to a bowl game with third/fourth string players as starters is not going to excite the fan bases. That, on top of players deciding not to play to avoid possible injury, makes some of the bowl games little more than glorified scrimmages. Ho-hum. Perhaps the Power 5 should copy the FCS and consider a playoff system? That might generate more excitement for all concerned.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

They are moving to a true playoff next season with 12 teams. And one of those spots will be reserved for a G5 team.
Double G

Post by Double G »

93BlueHen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:01 pm
Cluck U wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:43 am I’d definitely hit the Bahamas’ Bowl and a couple others…but if the game were in Outlier Jabbip…no thanks.
C'mon, man. You know you want to go to UNC Charlotte's stadium at 2:30pm on a Monday in mid-December to attend a Famous Toastery Bowl with me.
Toast Bowl- 5,632
Laffy Playoff 4,000
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:45 am They are moving to a true playoff next season with 12 teams. And one of those spots will be reserved for a G5 team.
These two things are not the same: Power 4 and G5.
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

rooneyguy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:24 am
Oregonhen wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:34 pm

Many of the bowl games are going to be increasingly irrelevant unless the NCAA is able to somehow get over the legal hurdles and put some restrictions on when the transfer portal opens and closes (like the NFL does with free agency). They currently are still able to continue to govern the recruitment calendar, so there ought to be a way to govern the portal more sensibly.

Going to a bowl game with third/fourth string players as starters is not going to excite the fan bases. That, on top of players deciding not to play to avoid possible injury, makes some of the bowl games little more than glorified scrimmages. Ho-hum. Perhaps the Power 5 should copy the FCS and consider a playoff system? That might generate more excitement for all concerned.

Given the lack of control of the situation and no action taken by the powers that be at the NCAA, it's time to get a closer look.

Nobody in their right mind would allow what's happening to college football and it makes no sense.
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

finpxz1 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:45 am They are moving to a true playoff next season with 12 teams. And one of those spots will be reserved for a G5 team.
How will they determine the G5 team?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

rooneyguy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:49 am
These two things are not the same: Power 4 and G5.
Not sure I'm following...you made a comment that the P5 should go to a playoff format like the FCS??? And they are next season with 12 teams, including a spot reserved for the smaller BCS conferences. Apologies if I'm missing your point...
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:00 am
How will they determine the G5 team?
The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals. The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format. The final spot would have been Liberty this year, as the Flames are the sixth highest-ranked conference champion in the final CFP rankings.