Matt Brown on why UD joined CUSA

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Bluewyn Gold

Matt Brown on why UD joined CUSA

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/heres-d ... comes-next
But after really digging into everything, Rawak told me that the travel is actually much more doable than they initially thought. “We’re pretty close to major airports in Philadelphia and Baltimore. Once we really sat down, looked at which airlines fly to what markets, how much class time our students would miss, how much everything would cost…we realized this was more doable than we thought.”

The biggest difference, she pointed out, is that the school is prepared to spend what they needed to spend to swap bus rides for plane rides. The mileage might be longer, but they’re confident that the actual missed class time won’t be significantly more.

While Delaware did evaluate many other conference realignment opportunities, Rawak also singled out a shared sense of ambition and shared values for why Conference USA.

“I have to really credit {Conference USA Commissioner} Judy MacLeod. I think she’s a great leader, and Conference USA has been able to constantly completely reinvent themselves.” While Rawak understands that Delaware doesn’t share many geographic similarities or institutional profile similarities with their new conference peers, she believes Delaware shares similar “ambitions” and “athletic values.”
Adding women's ice hockey, which is terrific!
https://bluehens.com/news/2023/12/1/del ... ey-america
Hen78
UD Class: 1978

Re: Matt Brown on why UD joined CUSA

Post by Hen78 »

In today's world of remote and online learning missing class time shouldn't be an issue.
DaveB
UD Class: 1993

Post by DaveB »

If this was mentioned I missed it but does anyone know if Conf USA has a GOR contract and timeframe? I’m not seeing anything official but online talk where the MAC has a 10 year GOR and that conf USA possibly only has 5 years.

Basically the conference owns your media rights so if a school leaves before the contract expires, it can be an issue.
topstraight
UD Class: 1909

Post by topstraight »

DaveB wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:21 pm If this was mentioned I missed it but does anyone know if Conf USA has a GOR contract and timeframe? I’m not seeing anything official but online talk where the MAC has a 10 year GOR and that conf USA possibly only has 5 years.

Basically the conference owns your media rights so if a school leaves before the contract expires, it can be an issue.
CUSA schools signed a 5 year Grant of Rights thru 2027 (Pretty sure the expiration date is 6-30-2027).

Any school leaving Before that date must pay $800,000 for each year remaining in the GOR.

This is smaller and shorter term than most GOR's.

Example--school "G" leaves with two years left on GOR--they owe 1.6M.

My understanding is that UD--entering Fall '25 would only be under that GOR for two years. Of course schools might decide to extend the GOR or make a new one (or none) before this one expires. Pretty sure Any vote for a GOR Must be unanimous. Undoubtedly, UD had to sign that GOR before joining CUSA.

There is no exit fee for CUSA--BUT (in Addition to the GOR) teams leaving Must pay (or not collect) TWO years worth of Conference revenue due them. That would include CFP money, Media money, and NCAA BB money units.