I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Re: I’m awake - UD to CUSA

Post by 77HEN »

Bluewyn Gold wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:22 pm
tomdawg00022 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:43 pmGeographic certainly is not a good fit.

Sports fit (we have, I think, several sports that will need an affiliate league home for) isn't great because CUSA doesn't sponsor a lot of things we offer.

"Aligned values" arguably not a good fit (looks at Liberty).

There are a few reasons why it's not a good fit.

If we're treating it as a truck stop before we land in a better home, it's not a terrible move.

But CUSA isn't a good "fit" - it's a move of necessity but one that had we been smarter about, could have been done for $5 mil less.
Thomas, it's a great fit because it's the ONLY available fit right now, and it's a hell sight better in every regard than the Coastal. Fretting about geography and "aligned values" (whatever that means) is also a thing of the past. For better or worse, these elements are but minor considerations in modern big time college sports.
Aligned values (looks at Liberty). :P
DaveB
UD Class: 1993

Post by DaveB »

What's wrong with Liberty? If you want to point fingers, turn the spotlight to UD and how they have handled things over the years and I am a UD guy.

Every school...and I mean every school has their issues.
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

Some interesting teams with openings on this website. Would Delaware be playing less games at home next year? Are the teams that need to fill their schedules exclusively looking for home games?

https://fbschedules.com/fbs-college-foo ... s-in-2024/
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Ralph that’s the site I use all the time. UD would want at least 4-5 home games. Probably won’t get 6 next year without watering the slate down with FCS teams.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

DaveB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:39 pm What's wrong with Liberty?
That is exactly the phrase that might come out of your mouth when you crack a beer at a tailgate there and get arrested. :lol:

I'm joking, of course. A little. Alcohol is prohibited on their campus, but I am told that a little disguising goes a long way.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

bluehenbillk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:40 pm
HENJOHN wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:32 am WAKE UP FOR THE PRESS CONFERENCE BILL! YOU GOT YOUR WISH
Somewhere Joe is smiling…
God would he be posting up a Storm and providing an Analysis of each CUSA team.
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

bluehenbillk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:42 pm Ralph that’s the site I use all the time. UD would want at least 4-5 home games. Probably won’t get 6 next year without watering the slate down with FCS teams.
Makes sense. Hopefully the 2024 schedule is better than what we saw this year.
bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk »

Gannonfan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:48 pm
bluehenbillk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:32 pm 2024 schedule will be interesting. Just two non- league games - Norfolk St and @ Del State on the slate. That leaves 9-10 weekends of possibilities.

Do the Hens schedule any CUSA opponents either home or away (would obviously need holes in their schedules). The toughest part is schools schedules games out for years…those like Bluewyn Gold that wanted FBS independence.. well you may have it for one year…
Just a quick glance, Army, UConn, FIU, NM St all have openings right now - and we already had Norfolk St and Del St on the schedule. Washington St and Oregon St might have spots. It can be done.
Looking closer you had a few schools with an open date. You can also add BC, Duke, FAU, Rice, and Notre Dame
Sally in RI
UD Class: 1974

Post by Sally in RI »

I’m excited! Sure, I would love that ideal eastern conference but that’s not happening. And maybe the national exposure will help overall,

So, no more trips to Kingston but I’d be happy to go to UCONN. My last trip there for football was Eddie Conti day!

Go Fightin’ Blue Hens!

Sally in RI
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

VIKING '87 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:29 pm
finpxz1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:14 am
Maddog@76 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:04 am If true, this has ended my affiliation with the UD football program in all ways, except as a “long distance” fan. UD - please remove me from all your emails; I no longer have any desire to attend BHTC and support something I do not believe in; won’t need season tickets (I believe in spite of the sellout crowds- I will still be able to purchase single game tickets as needed- maybe a Tuesday or Thursday night. Buy an end zone ticket and find an empty seat in Section C.)
Congratulations to all of those who have been waiting for this announcement. I sincerely hope that this turns out great for the fans, and more importantly, the football program. This is just not my cup of tea. Onward and upward. Wayne Hanby
Yikes Wayne…adapt or die as the expression goes. This decision is 15 years overdue, and quite frankly had to happen for UD Athletics to move into the 21st century. Hope you change your mind as this is an exciting time to be an f’in Blue Hen!!!
Wayne, I get the frustration, totally. Cannot see any upside* for fans by playing in a G5 conference until the teams are playing for something better than a conference championship or toilet bowl. Nor can I see how games could be more exciting to watch. Afraid we go from the upper middle of the pack in FCS to FBS doormat. Hopefully, we can create something similar to JMU, Liberty and not be like UMass, UConn. Despite all this, I can't give up on my beloved Hens. I can always hope that all games vs Kennesaw State are in GA. My attendance will be 100%:)
You do realize that the entire college football landscape changes next year when FBS moves to a 12 team playoff configuration? The highest ranked G5 team will be in that 12 team playoff every year. That would be the something better. This year Tulane, yes Tulane, would be in the college football playoffs. Granted, the odds of winning the national title would be infinitesimally small, but I would love the chance to see the Hens playing a first round playoff game in South Bend against Notre Dame.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Sally in RI wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:00 pm I’m excited! Sure, I would love that ideal eastern conference but that’s not happening. And maybe the national exposure will help overall,

So, no more trips to Kingston but I’d be happy to go to UCONN. My last trip there for football was Eddie Conti day!

Go Fightin’ Blue Hens!

Sally in RI
I was there in Storrs that day too. Even got some flurries that day.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

What’s the possibility of the G5 eventually having their own playoff system to crown a national champion for the G5 tier teams?
bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:09 pm What’s the possibility of the G5 eventually having their own playoff system to crown a national champion for the G5 tier teams?
Only happens if the P4 leagues break off and do their own thing, potentially breaking away from the NCAA.

More money in the current setup for G5 than doing their own, otherwise you might’ve already seen it
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:09 pm What’s the possibility of the G5 eventually having their own playoff system to crown a national champion for the G5 tier teams?
Wouldn't be shocking. The game is changing rapidly, money talks
Twitter: @SSN_BlueHens
Feathers and Field Goals Podcast: https://feathersandfieldgoals.podbean.com/
Class of 2023
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

UDHoops wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:16 pm
Wouldn't be shocking. The game is changing rapidly, money talks
There's been a good bit of discussion around this and would obviously generate alot more interest in the G5.