Are we ready to jump up?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Warrior Hen

Re: Are we ready to jump up?

Post by Warrior Hen »

An invite to the CUSA would be a good thing for Delaware.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

topstraight wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:23 pm
Cluck U wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:53 pm topstraight,

Our UD President would not make the final decision. He can do the legwork and come up with a recommendation…but the BOT would need to approve a final decision of this size and impact.
Then I would kindly suggest to contact (by whatever means) your BOT if you want FBS.

IT takes three:

--UD interest in going FBS

-- CUSA interest in UD

--UD willingness to take CUSA invite
This post is as good as I’ve seen actually and I think many on here will be disappointed this offseason.

First issue, there can be.

Second issue, there may be

Third issue, there won’t be. So they’ll keep monitoring and “preparing for” the first issue which will irritate many here.

Wake me when there is a press conference
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
jl1968

Post by jl1968 »

Would rather see UD go to Mac conference than CUSA
smith79jordan
UD Class: 1900

Post by smith79jordan »

Hello, Friends!

Forgive my dishonesty during the registration process. I'm not a Delaware alum. I am, however, an alum of Jax State, and a big supporter of Delaware joining CUSA. The majority of CUSA fans I know of are fully on board with adding the Blue Hens, especially those of us who remember seeing Delaware as an FCS playoff foe. (We still owe you one for the spring 2021 season) And if we're lucky enough to share a conference with you soon, I hope you'll bring this year's FCS trophy with you.

I've peeked at this board for a few weeks now and want to offer some insight on a few things.

Tickets | I can't speak for all schools, but I did not notice a massive hike in tickets for Jax State.

Distance | A Jax State superfan named Whup came up with a pod system that might ease the burden of travel. There's a scheduling formula you can put in place, though I'm not smart enough to calculate it for you. This, in no way, has been guaranteed by CUSA, but a pod system could look something like this:

West: NM State, UTEP, Sam Houston, LaTech
Central: Jax State, Kennesaw, MTSU, WKU
East: UMass, Delaware, Liberty, FIU

Immediate success | I am beyond proud of how quickly Jax State has been able to get a winning record in the FBS. A large part of it has to do with Rich Rod. The man can coach. But so can Keeler, which makes Sam Houston's struggles so baffling. Sam was a national champ just a couple of years ago, yet they struggled mightily. They'll get it rolling again soon. My point in all of this is how difficult it is to predict who will struggle early or win immediately.

Schedule | You'll find it much easier to land those nearby schools like Temple, Army, etc, not just as one-offs, but as home-and-home series. So far, we've been able to land those with Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern and Southern Miss. And for your P5 games, you'll enjoy seeing the school get checks north of $1M

Weekday games | For all the complaining when our media deal and GOR was signed, our fans came to embrace the midweek games in October. It was fantastic exposure. I didn't have to worry about poor broadcast quality on ESPN+. I got to watch my school play on national TV. I got to go to local sports bars and restaurants and see my school on the TV. I got to see Patt McAfee talk about my team on his show. I got to see our players crack ESPN's top 10 plays because there weren't any P5 games pulling focus. On the whole, I've gotten to see my Gamecocks on national TV 6 times this year. We previously only got that kind of attention the the FCS playoffs. You may encounter some teasing from Sun Belt of American fans, and you might see a drop in attendance. But I've learned that fans will show up when you win, and most of the fans from other conferences will only see their game on ESPN+ for the whole year.

I hope we have reason to celebrate soon. And I hope to interact with more of you on the CUSA message board.

Cheers!
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Nice post Smith79. Thanks for the information
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

Welcome, smith79jordan.
But no deceit was necessary. We welcome rival fans here as long as they are respectful.
Thanks for providing your information on Jax State's transition.

Go Cocks!
:D
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

#LetsGo
#JUST WIN
Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 »

smith79jordan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:06 pm Hello, Friends!

Forgive my dishonesty during the registration process. I'm not a Delaware alum. I am, however, an alum of Jax State, and a big supporter of Delaware joining CUSA. The majority of CUSA fans I know of are fully on board with adding the Blue Hens, especially those of us who remember seeing Delaware as an FCS playoff foe. (We still owe you one for the spring 2021 season) And if we're lucky enough to share a conference with you soon, I hope you'll bring this year's FCS trophy with you.

I've peeked at this board for a few weeks now and want to offer some insight on a few things.

Tickets | I can't speak for all schools, but I did not notice a massive hike in tickets for Jax State.

Distance | A Jax State superfan named Whup came up with a pod system that might ease the burden of travel. There's a scheduling formula you can put in place, though I'm not smart enough to calculate it for you. This, in no way, has been guaranteed by CUSA, but a pod system could look something like this:

Immediate success | I am beyond proud of how quickly Jax State has been able to get a winning record in the FBS. A large part of it has to do with Rich Rod. The man can coach. But so can Keeler, which makes Sam Houston's struggles so baffling. Sam was a national champ just a couple of years ago, yet they struggled mightily. They'll get it rolling again soon. My point in all of this is how difficult it is to predict who will struggle early or win immediately.

Schedule | You'll find it much easier to land those nearby schools like Temple, Army, etc, not just as one-offs, but as home-and-home series. So far, we've been able to land those with Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern and Southern Miss. And for your P5 games, you'll enjoy seeing the school get checks north of $1M

Weekday games | For all the complaining when our media deal and GOR was signed, our fans came to embrace the midweek games in October. It was fantastic exposure. I didn't have to worry about poor broadcast quality on ESPN+. I got to watch my school play on national TV. I got to go to local sports bars and restaurants and see my school on the TV. I got to see Patt McAfee talk about my team on his show. I got to see our players crack ESPN's top 10 plays because there weren't any P5 games pulling focus. On the whole, I've gotten to see my Gamecocks on national TV 6 times this year. We previously only got that kind of attention the the FCS playoffs. You may encounter some teasing from Sun Belt of American fans, and you might see a drop in attendance. But I've learned that fans will show up when you win, and most of the fans from other conferences will only see their game on ESPN+ for the whole year.

I hope we have reason to celebrate soon. And I hope to interact with more of you on the CUSA message board.

Cheers!
This actually sounds pretty exciting. The Out of conference schedule will be more exciting as well. Wouldent be surprised to see Temple, MD, Army, Navy, UConn, UVA, Pitt, Charlotte and similar scheduled and non nat tv. Better than NC@T Bryant Campbell etc
93BlueHen
UD Class: 1993

Post by 93BlueHen »

smith79jordan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:06 pm Hello, Friends!
Welcome aboard. Great first post. Hopefully our Board of Trustees makes a good decision that gives you reason to continue posting here.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

smith79jordan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:06 pm

Welcome Mr Smith.

Back when the CAA was at 12 teams and stretched from central Maine to central North Carolina, there was a 3-pod scheduling system. It worked well.

Tell your friend Mr Whup to drop UMass and insert Missouri State. From what I’m hearing, those are the two most likely CUSA adds.

I also hear the MAC and UMass are talking, but the MAC and Delaware no longer are, but were talking. I think they told us “not now”. All of that is from a single source, so I’m not taking it all as gospel.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Awesome post, Agent Smith.

As you said in the movie: “More!”
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
UDEL Fear the Bird

Post by UDEL Fear the Bird »

jd of de wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:55 pm
smith79jordan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:06 pm

Welcome Mr Smith.

Back when the CAA was at 12 teams and stretched from central Maine to central North Carolina, there was a 3-pod scheduling system. It worked well.

Tell your friend Mr Whup to drop UMass and insert Missouri State. From what I’m hearing, those are the two most likely CUSA adds.

I also hear the MAC and UMass are talking, but the MAC and Delaware no longer are, but were talking. I think they told us “not now”. All of that is from a single source, so I’m not taking it all as gospel.
I have heard we are not getting a MAC or Sun Belt invite any time soon so if we move up it is going to be Conference USA. My guess is that our sources are not the same person so glad I’m not the only one hearing this. I’m just going to enjoy the FCS playoffs and the men’s bball season and wait for what might happen this spring or early summer.
Warrior Hen

Post by Warrior Hen »

CUSA would add excitement to the program. National coverage and exciting new opponents.
HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation »

Yes, about 5 decades too late. this is as good as a UD FCS program ca be. a jump up requires a jump up in administrative effort/accountability which equals results. There is nothing that $ can't solve and UD has a ton of it. There are no logical arguments for staying in the CAA/FCS in terms of public interest, attendance, growth in fanbase, or the fact that every one of our traditional rivals have left us in the dust and hopefully its a done deal that we are moving up and are just waiting until after the playoffs before we announce the move.

Let's just hope the argument about going to the FBS doesn't mirror the transfer argument that cost KC his job. We lost a decade and millions of dollars (not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars that the genius on the BOT in the 70's -present cost us by being stubborn, stupid, and wrong...news flash; you can have strong academics and athletics; a lot of schools ranked higher than UD have shown that for a very long time) by staying put and playing it safe.
The Dude Abides!
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

HenZoneNation wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:44 pm
Let's just hope the argument about going to the FBS doesn't mirror the transfer argument that cost KC his job. We lost a decade and millions of dollars (not to mention the hundreds of millions of dollars that the genius on the BOT in the 70's -present cost us by being stubborn, stupid, and wrong...
That’s your main obstacle right there. I think there will be great disappointment here this off-season, the BOT isn’t going to move UD to CUSA.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day