Time to bring back men track

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Admit One Sect C

Time to bring back men track

Post by Admit One Sect C »

Maybe it’s time University of Delaware brings back the men’s track program.

Having attended the Delaware Track & Field Hall of Fame Banquet, I listened to a true Blue Hen give his acceptance speech. He said he was able to run track and not have to participate his spring football drills. The inductee commented track made him a better football player.

So that got me to thinking, how good is the football team since the University canceled the men’s track program. Are there any statistics we can investigate. The answer is yes.

The football programs overall win/loss record is around 60.3% (731/481). If we use the year 2012 as the benchmark year (year program was cancelled) the program is has a win/loss% of only 54.07% (73/62). The 12 years cumulative record prior to the cancellation of the program W/L % is 65.23% (97/54). Almost 11% higher. Even the previous decade to that time period the program was at 72.72% (88/33). So the performance data speaks for itself. Since 2012 the football program has performed ~10% lower than when the track program existed.

The statics don’t lie. If Delaware wants a winning football program maybe they will need to improve the speed and athleticism of the players. Track is of significant value to any football player good enough to run. Same can be said for the bigs guy. If you have a big, strong, explosive kid that’s good enough to compete as a thrower on the track team, track will make that kid a better football player. 

“It’s been recorded that 63% of all players at the 2022 NFL combine and 55% of 2022 D1 signees participated in HS T&F. NFL and college football evaluator scouts depend upon HS T&F performance data because it is verified, standardized and contextualized (no arguments for a stop watch). HS football players not only gain recruiting exposure because of T&F participation but also develop necessary athletic attributes through the season without spending registration fees or traveling long distances to weekend long academies/combines” . Quote “Brian Spilbeler of Tracking Football”.

So we can say with total certainty, if you attend high school, and you are a potential college football player, YOU SHOULD RUN TRACK. So why hasn’t the University of Delaware made this association.

Maybe, it time we start the discussion of bringing back men’s track and field not just for the tradition but because it improves their football teams performance

Come on Delaware wake up.
Only two things are infinite,
the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former.
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Re: Time to bring back men track

Post by Hengrad07 »

I wouldn’t bet on Men’s track ever coming back.

As a matter of fact, expect a men’s team or 2, to be cut when the hens move to FBS. 22 new FB scholarships have to come from someplace.
#JustWinBaby
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

This will get as far as the "bring back wrestling".

Sorry....
#JUST WIN
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

First, if you show me how many track guys who played football during the time period in question then your stats might have merit. Otherwise, the cause and effect doesn’t work.

Second, football is now a year round sport including spring practice. The prime track season is spring. Missing football spring practice is probably not advisable these days.

Finally, coaches can recruit faster and more athletic players something at which Ryan Carty has been very successful.
Admit One Sect C

I’m not an expert or claim to be one but it appears that a lot of top football programs have players that run track, at least in the SEC and other power conferences. A lot of the top receivers in the NFL ran college track. We all know the big difference between HS/College/Pro is the speed of the game.

As for who, I’m sure there were a lot of football players who ran track during that time period and were standouts like Eddie Conti, Jamin Elliott. I’m just going to waste my time researching a mute point.

The facts are clear. Since the cancelation of the track program the football team has won less games, coincidence or just bad decisions on their part.

We can have a conversation, but Delaware claimed Title IX for the cancellation but we all know the real reason is that track just does not generate any revenue and had to go.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

Follow your own advice and don’t spend any more time on this doing “research” or doing any analysis of any kind. smh
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Moot point. Not, mute point (which is not a thing).

Mute means to be silent.

Moot refers to something irrelevant or unimportant.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Henway

Post by Henway »

The facts are clear. Since the Stone Balloon closed in 2005, the football winning % has gone down. The obvious conclusion is having no football team members bouncing at the Balloon has led to the downturn in the Hens success. :wink: :wink: :lol:
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

Henway wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:10 am The facts are clear. Since the Stone Balloon closed in 2005, the football winning % has gone down. The obvious conclusion is having no football team members bouncing at the Balloon has led to the downturn in the Hens success. :wink: :wink: :lol:
This is gold
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Admit One Sect C

Awesome, but can you tell me how many player were bouncers. LOL, I’m living in Fanville.
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

bluehenbillk wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:29 am
Henway wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:10 am The facts are clear. Since the Stone Balloon closed in 2005, the football winning % has gone down. The obvious conclusion is having no football team members bouncing at the Balloon has led to the downturn in the Hens success. :wink: :wink: :lol:
This is gold
…and the same logic used by Admit One in the original post!
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

There it is! The answer to all our questions
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Henway for the win!

Admit One Sec C…to answer your question: plenty. Oh, the stories. :lol:
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Henway

Post by Henway »

Admit one, Sect C; I'm an old-timer, but when I bartended way back, I would say at least 10-15 players each year. Heck, tossing out all the drunkards and beer muscled jerks kept them in great shape. They were nimble on their feet and maintained great upper body strength heaving them down the front stairs. And lets not forget their quickness and agility training, responding to the red light going off!! It brings a tear to my eyes thinking how much the Balloon helped the success of the Fighting Blue Hens.... :wink: :lol:
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

This thread has become an instant classic. :lol: