Article Blasting KT on the Hampton/FBS Move Piece

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Bluewyn Gold

Re: Article Blasting KT on the Hampton/FBS Move Piece

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Hens79 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:14 amAnyone that knows him, even a little, and that should include the dope that wrote the second article, would know there was zero racial intent in his “there goes the neighborhood” comment.
I can see both of sides of this, but I agree with your larger point, brother. If the columnist claims to know Kevin, he would have understood his INTENT was not at all racially charged. That said, it helps to better understand the power behind language, both deliberate and unintended. I'd be surprised if Kevin wouldn't second guess his choice of the phrase in retrospect. His column was spot on and really didn't need the "neighborhood" comment to support it.

In all likelihood, UD has no issue with Hampton, Bryant, Campbell, Monmouth, NC A&T, Elon, etc. being part of the CAA. But it's no surprise that smaller, private institutions, unlike W&M, Stony Brook, Towson, UNH, Northeastern, Maine, and URI, have very little in common with UD academically or athletically, and UD would prefer to associate with more like-minded schools.

Hampton made a choice to join D-I and the MEAC, move on the Big South, and then to the CAA because they thought it was best for them institutionally. UD's well within their right to make whatever move they think's necessary for them. And it bears repeating that UD has not said one word about any of their conference partners not being adequate. Far be it for me to defend UD, but it's unfair for the columnist to ascribe Kevin's words and phrasing to UD.

Oddly, the columnist failed to acknowledge that Kevin was by far the biggest proponent of UD scheduling DSU in football. His repeated pleas in numerous columns over a couple of decades no doubt elevated awareness to UD's ridiculous charade. Doesn't excuse the unfortunate use of the phrase but, IMO, does speak to Kevin's character and earnestness, which shouldn't be called into question, especially by someone who worked with him for years.
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J »

bluehenbillk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:17 pm To be fair KT used the phrase, it’s like saying the N word, no matter what context you may try to use around it, it’s still the spoken (or printed) word.
:roll:
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

I guess KT just should have come our & said the new admits to the CAA Stink! That we know is 100% correct!

That would have been “nondenominational”! 😬
#JustWinBaby
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:26 pm
mpwerrell wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:58 am
Hens79 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:14 am KT’s article was right on the money about the CAA. Anyone that knows him, even a little, and that should include the dope that wrote the second article, would know there was zero racial intent in his “there goes the neighborhood” comment. Anyway, folks gotta get outraged about something these days. With what is happening in the world today, this shouldn’t even register.
I spoke with KT last night at the UD hoops event and he said exactly that about racial intent. One reason he included the other two non-HBCU schools in the article was to allay allegations of bias. I guess it didn’t work for the writer.
You are absolutely correct in saying if you know Tres even a little bit, the writer is way off base.

I can see though how the writer could jump to his conclusion based on UD’s past poor track record of recruiting non-athletic persons of color to the school and years of resistance to playing Delaware State in football. Not saying he’s correct only putting myself in his shoes as a distant observer.

And I’m certainly not agreeing with the writer.
Yeah, it has zero to do with past track record of UD not playing in Delaware State and all that B.S.. It has everything to do with the media, trying to invoke race in everything regardless and at all costs…
Quite the generalization about the “media” for this one specific situation. Having some experience within the world of bias and how words can hurt, I stand by my opinion. If you have not walked in one’s shoes…
Either way I support KT and his intent 100%.
jl1968

Post by jl1968 »

So why was conference name changed? Was it because of the new schools?
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

jl1968 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:56 pm So why was conference name changed? Was it because of the new schools?
If that was the reason it doesn’t make a whole ton of sense since all the new teams are still in the historical 13 colonies.
jl1968

Post by jl1968 »

Housthen18 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:41 pm
jl1968 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:56 pm So why was conference name changed? Was it because of the new schools?
If that was the reason it doesn’t make a whole ton of sense since all the new teams are still in the historical 13 colonies.
True but the colonial era was a time when slavery Existed and it seems every thing from that time is being erased. Maybe I am wrong but it seems odd about the timing of name change.
Housthen18
UD Class: 2018

Post by Housthen18 »

jl1968 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:01 am
Housthen18 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:41 pm
True but the colonial era was a time when slavery Existed and it seems every thing from that time is being erased. Maybe I am wrong but it seems odd about the timing of name change.
I think you’re spot on. The CAA thinks the word “colonial” has a negative connotation either because of practices that existed during the time period, the idea of colonialism, or both. The CAA itself alluded to this euphemistically by announcing it was “modernizing” the name, along with some consultant-speak nonsense about how the new name reflects the conference’s “commitment to [being] United in Excellence.”
henjet
UD Class: 1900

Post by henjet »

nowadays people are always looking for a reason to play the race card, all these newcomers left their conferences because they are going nowhere just like UD needs to do but they have waited too long. UD screwed around and got left looking like idiots, ARMY just became a member of AAC and their overall record in the last 30-40 years isn't that good. they also were in CUSA for a few years so ud could have moved up but some of their so-called leaders and the useless BOT screwed up.They are now reduced to join the exciting MAC or CUSA let see how many people show up on a wed or thurs night, they need to stop playing around and go independent. can't be any worse than staying in the caa
Hengrad07

Post by Hengrad07 »

A friend of my Dad interviewed for a BoT position a few years ago. He mentioned the need to move to the FBS level & the former chairman laughed at his suggestion. The good news is he’s no longer the chairman, but at least we know how he will be voting!
#JustWinBaby
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Hengrad07 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:53 am A friend of my Dad interviewed for a BoT position a few years ago. He mentioned the need to move to the FBS level & the former chairman laughed at his suggestion. The good news is he’s no longer the chairman, but at least we know how he will be voting!
Did he provide any reasons on why he was laughing ?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:11 am
Hengrad07 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:53 am A friend of my Dad interviewed for a BoT position a few years ago. He mentioned the need to move to the FBS level & the former chairman laughed at his suggestion. The good news is he’s no longer the chairman, but at least we know how he will be voting!
I imagine just an evil laugh...

Hengrad07

Post by Hengrad07 »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:11 am
Thought he was joking 😂
#JustWinBaby