Who had the dumbest play in football yesterday?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Who had the dumbest play in football yesterday?

Post by dovetail »

Clue: It wasn't us. That honor goes to Miami who had the game won but did not take a knee to run out the clock with 25 seconds left. Incredible!
HENJOHN

Re: Who had the dumbest play in football yesterday?

Post by HENJOHN »

Watched it Live and couldn't believe what I was watching
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

dovetail wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:42 am Clue: It wasn't us. That honor goes to Miami who had the game won but did not take a knee to run out the clock with 25 seconds left. Incredible!
Having the 2nd dumbest play is no honor though. 4-1 makes us all smile but when we play some real competition Ryan's play calling is a major concern.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Funny, someone who watched Carty (long before he became our head coach) warned everyone about Carty’s weakness.

Easy to win a lot of games in a weak league (we have had several coaches benefit from that), but, unfortunately, Carty has the same mentality against the better teams. To him, football is all about trying to “create” a mismatch…even if he has to ignore a natural mismatch in every position. His offense is both beautiful and frustrating…always has been.

But (and it is a huge but), no matter how frustrating watching this offense can be at times, Carty and his coaching are light years ahead of the dreck we saw during our Lost Decade.

Enjoy the wins. Carty is now 12-6 as our head coach and we are headed to the playoffs again. 👍
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

The EZone pass at the One yard line with the best RB in FCS on the field is a real head scratcher and id ask him about it if I were in the Media. That said, Offensively we are showing alot of promise utilizing multiple formations, utilizing our skill position speed and some very good QB play from our First year starting QB. The play calling at times definitely could use some examination.

Overall I'm thinking our best Offensive days are ahead of us still as we work guys into the lineup, O'Connor continues to grow and seeing what works for us. The OLine has definitely been above average to date.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

HENJOHN wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:40 am The EZone pass at the One yard line with the best RB in FCS on the field is a real head scratcher and id ask him about it if I were in the Media. That said, Offensively we are showing alot of promise utilizing multiple formations, utilizing our skill position speed and some very good QB play from our First year starting QB. The play calling at times definitely could use some examination.

Overall I'm thinking our best Offensive days are ahead of us still as we work guys into the lineup, O'Connor continues to grow and seeing what works for us. The OLine has definitely been above average to date.
The media should definitely ask Carty about that play. It’s certainly a play we will always remember.. I did like they were targeting WR Phil Lutz on the play, as it shows they’re very confident in his ability to go up and come down with the ball.

Carty needs to have a talk with himself on why he keeps using that dud
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail »

The receiver was well covered on the play and it is important that the throw was high or else you would have see a 108 yard interception return.
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

The team is maturing and 4-1 is where everyone hoped we would be. Yippy skippy ! None of us really care about what our head coach did before or after 2023 or for that matter what the Blue Hens did prior to now. The immediate future is what counts and that means next week when we easily move ahead to 5-1. What we can't be asked to do is ignore the obvious and that's Ryan's overall play calling . Shrugging our shoulders and saying that's what he does gives us little hope this improving team will find a way to come out of the gate faster and Ryan will call the right plays when they are most needed.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

For sure, that goal line play was idiotic. Really idiotic. Carty shouldn’t call that even in a scrimmage like yesterday. And there have been a few other head scratchers as well. But overall, I am okay with the play calling. This is a pass first team. It just is. People will continue to grumble all year about not running enough as the wins hopefully keep piling up against bad to okay teams.
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

Pass first is fine with most of us. Our redzone stats tell us it doesn't always work successfully in that area. We have exceptional WR's but we've also played against modest pass defensives where a 50/50 ball is a lot easier to win. Moving forward that may not be the case and just heaving the ball downfield may be problematic.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Henzone wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:52 am Pass first is fine with most of us. Our redzone stats tell us it doesn't always work successfully in that area. We have exceptional WR's but we've also played against modest pass defensives where a 50/50 ball is a lot easier to win. Moving forward that may not be the case and just heaving the ball downfield may be problematic.
All valid points and the play calling is questionable especially in the Red Zone for sure. I don't think anyone is "shrugging their Shoulders" but besides the negative aspects, pointing out what's been good to see so far. Not everyone on here thought we were going to beat UNH so I'm not thumbing my nose at 4-1. Down in the RZ I think we should keep relying on our Stud Yarns and improved OLINE more. Our young HC has shown some very nice things while still revealing to us he's still learning.

Man was it cool to see that Big crowd yesterday
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

Two things can be true at the same time. You can love the dynamic and innovative aspects of Carty’s offense and I definitely prefer it over the predictable play calling of our two previous coaches but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be critical of a very unwise play that could have turned the momentum around especially against an inferior opponent. He’s young and hopefully will learn. There is no reason to get cute when you have a great RB and a line that was blowing open holes. Why take an unnecessary risk in a situation like that? You can be dynamic and still make wise choices.
Oldhen

Post by Oldhen »

Regardless of his occasional brain farts, Carty is way, way better than Kirk Ciarrocca…
I do whatever the Rice Krispies tell me to do.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

I have the same concerns about RC's play-calling...love the creativity, but some of the calls are just absolute headscratchers that will likely cost us big time if he doesn't start using better judgement. That goal-line call was absolutely atrocious...no 2-ways about it. And the fact that no one from the media brought it up during the postgame press conference was somewhat amusing...I guess they are all afraid to get their heads bitten off??? We have to be smarter...especially when we start playing better teams towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.
Roger_Podacter
UD Class: 1995

Post by Roger_Podacter »

Miami did, for sure. It pretty much cost them a game in which they were a 20 point favorite. Their OC needs a talking to. The D could have made a stop as well.

Maybe RC is just trying some things out against the crap teams that they are playing. Hopefully in a 2nd round playoff game at Montana State, he doesn't do something stupid like that play call.