Game Thread: New Hampshire

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Re: Game Thread: New Hampshire

Post by UD '01 grad »

Carty Media Call:

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... ty_Wk5.mp3

Santos Media Call:

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... os_Wk5.mp3

"Marcus Yarns is a beast. He's a complete back. He's got the long, home run ability but he can also make people miss. He's a very special player to see in person." -- Santos

"They had roughly 200 yards-after-catch. It shows how explosive their playmakers are." -- Santos
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

UD '01 grad wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:01 pm Carty Media Call:

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... ty_Wk5.mp3

Santos Media Call:

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... os_Wk5.mp3

"Marcus Yarns is a beast. He's a complete back. He's got the long, home run ability but he can also make people miss. He's a very special player to see in person." -- Santos

"They had roughly 200 yards-after-catch. It shows how explosive their playmakers are." -- Santos
Thanks for posting.

Rude detector didn’t go off. Carty just didn’t want to discuss injuries. His prerogative…channeling Bobbie Brown. Expectations were already set…now reemphasized and set again. Easy peasy.

Santos. Those UNH guys seem to struggle in big games, especially defensively, in the last couple years. It will be interesting to see his adjustments as the year goes on.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

Good stuff there, from Santos.
#JUST WIN
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Speaking of good stuff from Santos...

Santos said his team prepared all week to pass more often…because he thought we were stout in the middle. :shock: He said they game planned that week to test us with passing early and it worked. In other words, in Santos’ own words, the heavy pass offense was planned well BEFORE he saw Rojas put more guys on the line. Hmmmmm… :P

So, the genius, after watching tape of Stonybrook, Penn State and StFU, planned the heavily loaded passing game even with the forecast for wind and rain. Sure, it worked in the first quarter…with the wind. Stuck with that game plan…against the wind.

Mind you, Stony got 5.5 ypc on 30 runs for 164 yards rushing...not exactly a run stopping force by us against an 0-3 team. PSU got 5.3ypc, 60 carries for 315 yards, but we can excuse that. StFU got 4.0ypc, 36 carries for 145 yards…again, not exactly a shut down run D against another weak 0-3 team.

And…StFU and Stony (didn’t bother to check PSU) had a much higher average ypc against our D than against their other opponents.

Yes…fun facts. :lol:
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

TrueBlueHen
UD Class: 1979

Post by TrueBlueHen »

RalphD58 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:21 pm Not for nothing, win or lose, I was impressed with the resilience of this team during the game. I wrote them off more than once, and they proved me wrong more than once as well. I honestly think Carty is instilling that "Winning" Delaware football attitude into his players. Maybe that's just me being hopeful and or nostalgic, but it's all good because we got the win with a gutsy performance in bad conditions. It was a fun game to watch and that makes me happy and hopeful for the future.
+1
TrueBlueHen
UD Class: 1979

Post by TrueBlueHen »

Cluck U wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:28 pm
RalphD58 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:21 pm Not for nothing, win or lose, I was impressed with the resilience of this team during the game. I wrote them off more than once, and they proved me wrong more than once as well. I honestly think Carty is instilling that "Winning" Delaware football attitude into his players. Maybe that's just me being hopeful and or nostalgic, but it's all good because we got the win with a gutsy performance in bad conditions. It was a fun game to watch and that makes me happy and hopeful for the future.
Ralph…this is the most important part of this year. The players believe. They are fired up…they do not quit.

That, more than anything, is a huge difference from the Lost Decade.

That makes it fun to be a player AND a fan!
+1
UDan
UD Class: 2025

Post by UDan »

UD '01 grad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:05 pm There were 18 seconds left and ball was at Delaware 45 for punt/no punt decision.

Pinning them back seems correct, but would have trusted execution of a Yarns handoff more than a long snap and clean kick (which didn't happen), particularly with what had transpired earlier in the game.
https://x.com/DanSteenkamer/status/1707 ... 88593?s=20

I'm confident most have seen/heard postgame press conf from Sat now, but here's RC on that punt call paired with FLOF video of said punt
Daniel Steenkamer, HERO Sports FCS Correspondent
Twitter @DanSteenkamer
Instagram | dansteenkamer.fcs
University of Delaware '25 via Syracuse University

2022 GoHens FCS Playoff Pick-'em Pool Champion
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

UDan wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:49 am
UD '01 grad wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:05 pm There were 18 seconds left and ball was at Delaware 45 for punt/no punt decision.

Pinning them back seems correct, but would have trusted execution of a Yarns handoff more than a long snap and clean kick (which didn't happen), particularly with what had transpired earlier in the game.

I'm confident most have seen/heard postgame press conf from Sat now, but here's RC on that punt call paired with FLOF video of said punt
Haha, no one mentions the player who downed the ball prematurely when more seconds could have been wrung from the clock. Coach made the right decision because it worked and the Hens won.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

77HEN wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:30 am

Haha, no one mentions the player who downed the ball prematurely when more seconds could have been wrung from the clock. Coach made the right decision because it worked and the Hens won.
Yeah, that was crazy - I've never seen a ball downed so quickly, and in a time when you really wanted it to roll around a little bit. I think we were all Carty in that moment when he started screaming. Reminds you how young these guys are at times.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

I'll say it one more time this season and hopefully I'm over thinking.

We do not have a full time special teams or offensive coordinator.

Most teams do for a purpose.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

It's an obvious area needing some quick improvement. It's called Special for a reason. Need to work on all aspects.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

77HEN wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:30 am

The announcers mentioned the early downing of the ball…probably cost several seconds. Was hoping that would not come back and haunt us.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

HENJOHN wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:11 pm It's an obvious area needing some quick improvement. It's called Special for a reason. Need to work on all aspects.
The UNH team looked a full second quicker and faster than the Hens in Q1. Thinking it could have been the wind but the defenders blew right through the line on that blocked punt. No wind involved there, it was like a mass jailbreak.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

Just got around to listening to last week’s Delaware Football Coaches Show. And when Scott asked RC about the decision to kickoff into the wind, he actually seemed confused and didn’t realize that we chose to kick into the wind. It really wasn’t a good look for Coach Carty. Hopefully something to learn from going forward.