Transcript from GoHens portion of Monday's Zoom call with Coach Carty

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
ColoradoHen
UD Class: 1977

Re: Transcript from GoHens portion of Monday's Zoom call with Coach Carty

Post by ColoradoHen »

I couldn’t agree more, common sense and a little patience go a long way. I like what I’m seeing on reaching higher for recruits, even if many are beyond our reach because they want to play at the FBS level out of HS. RC has sold some solid recruits on his vision and the transfers look good as well. This will be an extremely interesting upcoming season with the huge turnover in the roster. The past two seasons we pretty much knew the starting roster in advance. Not so this Spring, can’t wait to see how it starts shaping up on both sides of the ball.
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

I am 100% certain that this young, energetic staff is absolutely working their azzes off to bring success to our Blue Hens.

And, most importantly, they know what they are doing. #BuckleUp
#JUST WIN
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Carty has two championships, with two of the best teams ever assembled. Keeler’s 2003 championship team still holds the record for least points given up and we had a good offense with a QB who could run. Carty was there and saw the winning pieces that Keeler added. Then, Carty was in the first row when Keeler said their Sammy team needed to get bigger and better on both lines in order to compete and beat the Bison and the JMU’s of the world. Well, that team went out and beat NSDU, JMU and SDSU (and a solid Monmouth team). No one had beaten all those top teams on their way to the championship…yet Keeler and Carty did the unthinkable and got themselves a championship.

Carty knows what needs to be done. His recruiting shows he is trying to fill the big needs on this team.

Our Hens are going to be better next year. And better the year after that. After the Lost Decade of Delaware Football, our Hens are back…and Carty’s goal is to be far more than just, “relevant.”

Looking forward to the 2023 version of the Fightin’ Blue Hens!
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby »

I still think Carty is being coy about upgrading the lines. Probably not a great idea to be openly critical of the guys already on the roster. I will be interested to see who signs on the next signing day. He's recruited some linemen for the future but their impact likely won't be felt in the short term. We will see where the line ends up this summer. Shame on him if he ignores the problem. Our last game with SDSU should have punctuated the need for better lines- two QB's knocked out in one game.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Do you honestly believe there's a chance he's going to ignore an area of need?
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

When it's all said and done, no position will be overlooked this off season. To me, it makes sense to get the QB's and skill position players in house and on campus in order to work on timing and communication. That said, there's still opportunities to pick up great players after spring ball.
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

6 months later and with the opener approaching, who wants to summarize the off-season into a neatly packaged college boy paragraph :D

Or a prediction on the regular season final record? Maybe a separate thread for that

HR.. many thanks for giving us 18 years of Gohens! Please get those pick em Games ready on time, I’m spoiled

The BigR interview and and thread that followed was pretty good by the way! Nice refresher
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

I will take a stab at the latter ... without seeing a down yet, could be 8-2 or 6-4, Elon and UNH are the two toss ups for me. Obviously PSU is a loss (hopefully respectable) and until I'm convinced they no longer have our number and as much as it hurts, I think Nova is a loss. Hopefully losing road games WE SHOULD WIN is a thing of the past. Anxious to see who QB1 will be.
Los Angeles Harballers
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Here is a prediction:

For the first time in a long time, the Hens are going to have consecutive winning seasons and we are going to the playoffs in consecutive years.

The Lost Decade is in the past.

Bonus prediction: we will win our first playoff game.

Now, some folks will say that isn't good enough (and in a way, I am with you...I want more than just a one-and-done playoff run). But after a freaking decade of failure, we need to see sustained success, so I will take two consecutive years of making the playoffs and getting a win as a definite improvement over the crap that has been served up in the Tub recently.

In his interview, Carty said he wants to sustain success. Winning playoff games allows you to recruit better players. Carty isn't wining the national championship the way Keeler did in his second year...unless Carty brings in several more studs on the DL and OL.

I think we will be a better team than last year. Our kicking game improvement alone will give us a huge advantage over last year. Out two QBs are able (and willing) to run and they can both pass. Henderson was good, but our two guys won't be as big a drop off as many think. Our OL WILL be better (remember, they were learning a new system and they are a year bigger and better), so that is an improvement. Another prediction...our WRs are going to be a great group. Our RBs are going to be better than last year. On D, the folks I am talking with say we are going to be good. I think these guys will surprise everyone.

Bonus plus prediction: we are going to win at least 9 games this season.

But, but, but...anyone can cook...! Wait, that's a different movie. Anyone can coach these guys to 9 wins with this schedule. :lol: Folks, we've had easy schedules for the past several years and no one has coached us to 9 victories.

Anyway, I am looking forward to enjoying this season (even the trip to PSU...win the damn tailgate!).

GoHens!
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Post by Steve1981 »

Best wishes in consecutive winning seasons and perhaps 9 wins. Do your best to soften up Penn State as we go there 10/14, after their bye week. Wish it was before as we play Toledo, one of the better MAC teams, Penn State and then a bye week.

Again, hope you tear it up this season and your beefed up OL. We are also in our second year of new systems and our OL is a weak point, then WR but will see.