Mutts

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Re: Mutts

Post by allteamball » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:25 am

finpxz1 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:46 pm
It sucks, but I'm with Dave. Darling testing the NBA waters is very different than Mutts essentially becoming a college free agent. If I'm MI, I’d have a really hard time allowing Mutts to come back should he not find a "better situation” for himself. I suppose the other players on the team should have a voice as well, but if it was up to me, I'd say “no thank you, and best of luck with your new team”.
I'm with you.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:51 am

I agree with this as well. Once they guy makes those comments he isnt ALL IN. Best of luck to him. With schools like that enticing him he is probably gone anyway. I really liked what he brought to the team.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:54 am

If one or both return, Darling & Mutts need to cast their vote for team captain with Kevin Anderson.

hens4life
UD Class: 0

Post by hens4life » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:21 am

I agree, if I'm the coach, Mutts wouldn't be back especially after the comments in the WNJ that he may or may not be back.

Also, I found MI "no comment" interesting. Did Mutts talk to MI ahead of time or just send him a text at 4:59 PM
telling him he's adding his name to the portal when all grades are posted at 5:00 PM.

Questions that I'd love to hear the answers to...

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:53 am

Opportunity!!!!!!

One of the most powerful words in the world!!!!!!!

This young man worked hard enough to give himself opportunities. I give him credit for that.

I know there have been some but I only know of 1 person to graduate from UD in 3 years. With a 3.9 GPA FYI, This young lady went on to become one of the top attorney's in Wilmington. So successful that in 2 different years, she voted by her peers as the best Attorney in her field for the plaintiff and the defendant.

Can't lie, she is my sister. The cool thing about her doing it, She graduated in 79, had she graduated in 80, my father would not have seen it. He passed 6 week after her graduation.

My point: This is very unfortunate for UD Hoops. But I can't fault an individual who has balanced both D1 athletics and his education, worked that hard and has now given himself more opportunities.

This is a complete 180 from the Horton transfer.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:46 am

Good stuff Pat. Sister sounds amazing.............it didn't run in the family?
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:54 am

UDPat wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:53 am
Opportunity!!!!!!

One of the most powerful words in the world!!!!!!!

This young man worked hard enough to give himself opportunities. I give him credit for that.

I know there have been some but I only know of 1 person to graduate from UD in 3 years. With a 3.9 GPA FYI, This young lady went on to become one of the top attorney's in Wilmington. So successful that in 2 different years, she voted by her peers as the best Attorney in her field for the plaintiff and the defendant.

Can't lie, she is my sister. The cool thing about her doing it, She graduated in 79, had she graduated in 80, my father would not have seen it. He passed 6 week after her graduation.

My point: This is very unfortunate for UD Hoops. But I can't fault an individual who has balanced both D1 athletics and his education, worked that hard and has now given himself more opportunities.

This is a complete 180 from the Horton transfer.
Pat said in a few more words than what I said, but we are both saying the same thing. It is about opportunity. And Mutts created one for himself.

Another way to look at this is you have a job you like but still have your resume out on job sites like Indeed, Monster etc ... The difference is, if you are an athlete it is more public.

There was no such thing as the transfer portal until a little while ago. Everyone is going to have to get used to it being here.

Mutts sounds like a fine young man. I am confident if he stays with the team, he would give it his all and it would work out. I hope he does for at least this year.

Things change all the time. Great organizations adapt and thrive. Ones that don’t and stay rigid fall by the wayside.

Finally, it is at least a little curious to me why many of UD’s best players are leaving while they don’t at schools like Hofstra.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:37 am

This is what athletics is today. I see it even at the lower levels in middle school while following my grandkids. Intercity kids routinely transfer to private schools, regardless of their academic progress, and repeat 8th grade at their new school giving them a year up physically on most of the competition hoping a local private or Philly Catholic school will invite them aboard for their frosh season. More don't then do.

Look at Horton, who played for 3 different HS teams and now his second college so far. No telling how many club teams he went through for his "opportunity. "

It's now the culture as is moving from job to job . Glad I'm retired as loyalty was always a trait I considered important when hiring but in today's world it's all about ME.

Mutts is obviously a very intelligent and talented individual but just how much did he really contribute to High Point and Blue Hen Basketball for all the freebie opportunities he took advantage of?
Last edited by Henzone on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluehenjeff
UD Class: 1985

Post by bluehenjeff » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:22 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:53 pm
If Mutts & Darling both leave, I will probably drop my season tickets (which I have held since before the Bob opened) for Men's Basketball. It will just confirm that at UD's currrent level it is virtually Iimpossible to build a team that can win the CAA and maybe an NCAA game. UD can no longer sign incoming Freshmen & transfers that are/become good players and expect them to use all (or even most) of their eligibility at UD. Further, if as discussed the NCAA completley eliminates the requirement for transfers to sit out one year, it is only going to get worse. I can no longer take watching a team be recruited, developed, and have high prospects for success only to have my heart repeatedly ripped out as at least some of the key players transfer out every year. The only thing that could change this trajectory for UD Men's Basketball is entry into a significantly higher level conference and that appears to be highly improbable.
You are not a fan, if you drop your tickets just because a couple of players leave. That is not the
definition of a fan. They don't bail.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:50 pm

BlueHenBill is the biggest Blue Hen fan on the planet. If you're ever unfortunate enough to sit near him during a game, you'll figure that out yourself.
It isn't UD basketball he is feed up with it's the system created that I described earlier. Team loyality and chemistry is fading away.

Latest CAA news has Weber State starting QB for the last 2 years ( Jake Constantine), who led them to 2 conference championships and NCAA playoffs is a grad transfer now at TOWSON as of last week. What opportunities is this young man pursuing I wonder? I"m sure his teammates were thrilled for him? Yes I said TOWSON !
Last edited by Henzone on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Must be the City life there HZ.............

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:20 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:46 am
Good stuff Pat. Sister sounds amazing.............it didn't run in the family?
HJ,

She is my only sibling who I hated until I was 18. I now know why???? :roll: :roll: She took advantage of all those opportunities. She was asked to take the test at Tatnall going into middle school. BANG!!!!! Free ride. Turned it down as we couldn't keep up with those Jones' , so she ended up one of the finest concerning academia to graduate from McKean.

Great sports back than, Baseball and those Anderson's and Joyner's. LOL Anthony Anderson has a SB ring, little known fact. :lol:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:51 pm

hens4life

Post by hens4life » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm

Houston 6'7" forward, Fabian White, tears ACL & out for the year... No wonder they called finished 19-20 season
23-8 & ranked #22 in AP Poll & in a first-place tie in American Athletic Conference.

https://uhcougars.com/sports/mens-baske ... e-jr-/5906
Last edited by hens4life on Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks for the link to the interview, UDHoops.

"If I choose to leave Delaware I’m looking for the opportunity to become the best Basketball Player I can while playing great competition.”

I am still somewhat intrigued by his qualifier of "IF" he chooses to leave. I can't recall anyone getting into the transfer portal without making a clean break from his previous institution. Maybe its happened before, perhaps I missed it.

To me, It seems analogous to someone announcing to his employer and the world that he is in the market looking for another job, but will return if he can't find a better opportunity.

He is probably playing it like testing free agency in pro sports. But, this isn't pro sports, obviously.

Best of luck to the young man!