Mutts

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Re: Mutts

Post by Henny » Sat May 30, 2020 2:26 pm

allteamball wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:06 pm
“Yesterday when I put my name in the portal, my phone kinda like blew up,” Mutts said Saturday. “I’m fielding calls now. I probably heard from like 15 to 20 schools yesterday. I put my name in the portal at like 5 p.m

Coming back to Delaware for one year and then playing his final season of eligibility someplace else is also “a very real possibility,” Mutts said.
“I love the Blue Hen fans with my whole heart, truly,”

The plot thickens. Staying here next year and then transferring actually makes a lot more sense. Maybe he's testing it since Nate isn't 100% to return.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Sat May 30, 2020 2:29 pm

Henny wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:26 pm
allteamball wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:06 pm
“Yesterday when I put my name in the portal, my phone kinda like blew up,” Mutts said Saturday. “I’m fielding calls now. I probably heard from like 15 to 20 schools yesterday. I put my name in the portal at like 5 p.m

Coming back to Delaware for one year and then playing his final season of eligibility someplace else is also “a very real possibility,” Mutts said.
“I love the Blue Hen fans with my whole heart, truly,”

The plot thickens. Staying here next year and then transferring actually makes a lot more sense. Maybe he's testing it since Nate isn't 100% to return.
Yes, looks like he's playing both sides. Not sure how I would feel about this if I were the coach.

UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops » Sat May 30, 2020 2:32 pm

There’s some words of hope there. One more season with us and a high chance of exposure in March will make him very attractive in the portal next spring. We shall see how it turns out

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 pm

rooneyguy wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:22 pm
jd of de wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 pm
rooneyguy wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:32 pm
It is a good bet that Mutts already has his destination lined up. There aren't many higher-level programs that could guarantee him, at this point, a chance to get more minutes than he would get at UD.
That would be tampering.
Honest question: Do the rules against tampering apply to grad transfers? I don't see how an institution can hold onto a student-athlete after graduation.
The NCAA history yielding penalties is pretty inconsistent, but grad transfer or not, portal first, contact second. Seton Hall (who it’s rumored was who tampered with Horton) 3 year penalty will prompt most programs not to go there.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat May 30, 2020 3:21 pm

2020-2021 UD MBB

The Last Dance

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:40 am

This is yet another example of things that come out of nowhere. It seems like that is the theme for 2020.

I don’t think anyone expected Mutt’s transferring, but after reading the full NJ article, I understand where he is coming from. He is a very focused young man. And the questions about Darling staying probably play into this as well. If Darling were to leave, the chances for a special season are greatly diminished. Everyone knows that, including Mutts.

I hope the team can stay together this season as it looks to be a special one with real March possibilities. If Darling stays, my bet is Mutts will at least for this year.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Sun May 31, 2020 3:38 pm

Schools contacting Mutts from what I have seen

Arkansas
Purdue
NC State
Georgia Southern
Houston
Wake
vTech
DePaul
Vandy
Tulsa
St Johns

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:09 pm

Delaware transfer Justyn Mutts (
@JM_Squarepants
) told me he has heard from the following schools so far:

NC State
Arkansas
Houston
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Purdue
DePaul
Vanderbilt
Tulsa
St John’s
Georgia Southern
Several posters are begging Mutts to pick St Johns!
Smart Kid should pick Vandy, Wake or Purdue for the education.

rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy » Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 pm

Hengrad07 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:09 pm
Delaware transfer Justyn Mutts (
@JM_Squarepants
) told me he has heard from the following schools so far:

NC State
Arkansas
Houston
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Purdue
DePaul
Vanderbilt
Tulsa
St John’s
Georgia Southern
Several posters are begging Mutts to pick St Johns!
Smart Kid should pick Vandy, Wake or Purdue for the education.
Which school can promise him the most playing time? Won't that be a key factor?

bluehenjeff
UD Class: 1985

Post by bluehenjeff » Sun May 31, 2020 5:45 pm

Why respect his decision . He just gave the middle finger to the program.

He did not respect the program. I would be pretty pissed if you invested
2 years and in a guy and he leaves.

It is his right to leave, but we don't have to happy about it.

Sad decision making skills on his part.

hentraps
UD Class: 2016

Post by hentraps » Sun May 31, 2020 7:24 pm

Don't see an issue with him wanting to test the waters. He doesn't owe us anything.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Sun May 31, 2020 8:40 pm

Testing the waters to play professionally is one thing. Testing the waters to play for a competitor is a different story.

Maybe I am old school but if I’m MI, I thank Mutts for his play, wish him the best and move on.

If my teammate stated he was looking at upgrading but MAY come back if he doesn’t find a “hotter partner”...what kind of team/chemistry do you have?

Somehow Brantley and Riller of Charleston and JWF and Pemberston of Hofstra all stayed 4 years at their respective schools. Interesting dynamic to study why certain guys stay at their schools and others leave or in this case leave 2 different schools.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sun May 31, 2020 9:33 pm

Should UD eliminate paying expenses for summmer school for Men's Basketball players? On the one hand, that would pretty much keep players from graduating in less than four years and prevent then from being able to transfer as a grad student and play right away. On the other hand, it would probably have a negative effect on recruiting. If as discussed the NCAA completely eliminates any requirement to sit out a year for non-grad transfers, then there would be no point in UD not paying expenses for summer schoool.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sun May 31, 2020 9:53 pm

If Mutts & Darling both leave, I will probably drop my season tickets (which I have held since before the Bob opened) for Men's Basketball. It will just confirm that at UD's currrent level it is virtually Iimpossible to build a team that can win the CAA and maybe an NCAA game. UD can no longer sign incoming Freshmen & transfers that are/become good players and expect them to use all (or even most) of their eligibility at UD. Further, if as discussed the NCAA completley eliminates the requirement for transfers to sit out one year, it is only going to get worse. I can no longer take watching a team be recruited, developed, and have high prospects for success only to have my heart repeatedly ripped out as at least some of the key players transfer out every year. The only thing that could change this trajectory for UD Men's Basketball is entry into a significantly higher level conference and that appears to be highly improbable.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:46 pm

It sucks, but I'm with Dave. Darling testing the NBA waters is very different than Mutts essentially becoming a college free agent. If I'm MI, I’d have a really hard time allowing Mutts to come back should he not find a "better situation” for himself. I suppose the other players on the team should have a voice as well, but if it was up to me, I'd say “no thank you, and best of luck with your new team”.