2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
tubby
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:02 pm
UD Class: 1972

2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by tubby » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:33 am

How about finding the best Delaware games on tape and show one of them each week and put them on this site. There are some great games from the past that are out there. It would be something to do during the fall and might make the time go by until we can play again.

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 9203
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:17 am

Recently watched my tape of 1993 playoff game vs Montana out there in the 7 degree cold. What a wild game in the 49-48 win.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

finpxz1
Posts: 1722
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:08 am

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by finpxz1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:11 am

Great idea...would love to see that. Some classic games that instantly come to mind: 1985, 1986, 1991, 2003, and 2007 Navy games; 2000 vs. Nova, any of the 2003 playoff games, 2007 UNI, any of the great Temple games, 1989 Mike Buck Maine game, 1998 Eddie Conti UConn game, last year's Pitt game...just a few thoughts. I'm sure I'm missing plenty of great games, but I love the idea.

User avatar
Caribbean Hen
Posts: 9329
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am
UD Class: 2024
Location: San Juan Puerto Rico

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:13 am

Good idea And let’s face it there hasn’t been to many good things to see over the past 10 years

Over the past week I have checked out parts of the following games

1982 William & Mary at Delaware
You could tell from the first series that Delaware was so much better... Good to see Dan Reeder Kevin Phelan and Ricky Scully. The defense dominated seven interceptions I think
Beautiful green natural grass and a packed house...Beautiful

1992 Delaware at Navy
I’ve heard Gannonfan talk so much about Vergatino over the years it was finally good to get to see him play, he did not disappoint

1992 Delaware at Northeast LA
Another great playoff win and an interesting matchup down in Louisiana Where Delaware pretty much had their way

I checked out of the state of Delaware in the summer of 1981 and really didn’t start getting back in touch with the Hens until about 2002 So for those 22 years Delaware football was just a little one line score of the new Sunday newspaper for me

So just trying to make a positive out of a negative and learning up on the older bluehens. So many names have been mentioned on Gohens over the years that I had no clue about
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

finpxz1
Posts: 1722
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:08 am

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by finpxz1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:26 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:13 am
Good idea And let’s face it there hasn’t been to many good things to see over the past 10 years

Over the past week I have checked out parts of the following games

1982 William & Mary at Delaware
You could tell from the first series that Delaware was so much better... Good to see Dan Reeder Kevin Phelan and Ricky Scully. The defense dominated seven interceptions I think
Beautiful green natural grass and a packed house...Beautiful

1992 Delaware at Navy
I’ve heard Gannonfan talk so much about Vergatino over the years it was finally good to get to see him play, he did not disappoint

1992 Delaware at Northeast LA
Another great playoff win and an interesting matchup down in Louisiana Where Delaware pretty much had their way

I checked out of the state of Delaware in the summer of 1981 and really didn’t start getting back in touch with the Hens until about 2002 So for those 22 years Delaware football was just a little one line score of the new Sunday newspaper for me

So just trying to make a positive out of a negative and learning up on the older bluehens. So many names have been mentioned on Gohens over the years that I had no clue about
Delaware beat Navy in Annapolis in 1991 and 1992, but the 1991 game was an instant classic. We were getting killed at the half...something like 22 to 3, and then Vergantino and a relatively unknown freshman running back by the name of Darrell Brown took over in the 2nd half to lead the Hens to a dramatic 29 to 25 come-from-behind win. To this day, one of the most exciting Blue Hen games I've ever witnessed in person. My buddies and I want out afterwards down there and got wasted in celebration...good times.

User avatar
Caribbean Hen
Posts: 9329
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am
UD Class: 2024
Location: San Juan Puerto Rico

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:39 am

Fin,
Thank you for mentioning that as I had no Frame of reference of that era

gives me one more game to try to find

Other interesting games I have heard about mostly on this website are

1974 McNeese State at Delaware - I think on of joec Best stories was his memory of this game

I would love to see that 1979 Jacksonville State game or the Mississippi College beat down

The 1997 McNeese game even though we lost

And some Daryl Booker games especially the Navy game when they came to Delaware
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 9203
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:48 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:26 am
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:13 am
Good idea And let’s face it there hasn’t been to many good things to see over the past 10 years

Over the past week I have checked out parts of the following games

1982 William & Mary at Delaware
You could tell from the first series that Delaware was so much better... Good to see Dan Reeder Kevin Phelan and Ricky Scully. The defense dominated seven interceptions I think
Beautiful green natural grass and a packed house...Beautiful

1992 Delaware at Navy
I’ve heard Gannonfan talk so much about Vergatino over the years it was finally good to get to see him play, he did not disappoint

1992 Delaware at Northeast LA
Another great playoff win and an interesting matchup down in Louisiana Where Delaware pretty much had their way

I checked out of the state of Delaware in the summer of 1981 and really didn’t start getting back in touch with the Hens until about 2002 So for those 22 years Delaware football was just a little one line score of the new Sunday newspaper for me

So just trying to make a positive out of a negative and learning up on the older bluehens. So many names have been mentioned on Gohens over the years that I had no clue about
Delaware beat Navy in Annapolis in 1991 and 1992, but the 1991 game was an instant classic. We were getting killed at the half...something like 22 to 3, and then Vergantino and a relatively unknown freshman running back by the name of Darrell Brown took over in the 2nd half to lead the Hens to a dramatic 29 to 25 come-from-behind win. To this day, one of the most exciting Blue Hen games I've ever witnessed in person. My buddies and I want out afterwards down there and got wasted in celebration...good times.
Fin, I may have run into while getting wasted!! Went to Fran OBriens after that game among other places and my buddies and I really whooped it up. Big win.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

User avatar
Maineroad
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:53 am

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by Maineroad » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:01 pm

Watching games from when we were relevant depresses me.

jl1968
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by jl1968 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:34 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:17 am
Recently watched my tape of 1993 playoff game vs Montana out there in the 7 degree cold. What a wild game in the 49-48 win.
That is the game I have wanted to see forever!

KevHen05
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:43 pm
UD Class: 2005

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by KevHen05 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:20 pm

Where do you find these games? I found a few posted on YouTube but not that many. Is there another website that people use, or have you just put together personal libraries? I would definitely enjoy watching old Hens games.

hens4life
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:48 am
UD Class: 1981

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by hens4life » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:04 am

KevHen05 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:20 pm
Where do you find these games? I found a few posted on YouTube but not that many. Is there another website that people use, or have you just put together personal libraries? I would definitely enjoy watching old Hens games.
Go to YouTube & type in Delaware football or similar terms & you will see games & highlights videos.

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 9203
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:08 am

I had VHS tapes of many games going back aways and had a number of them put on DVD. One of my favorites is the 1993 Montana game and the 2003 Playoff run games were special especially watching the Horse on the field and the fans storming the field after the win vs Wofford. I also watched the 2000 Villanova game recently. A game we were losing by 3 TDs and came back to win 59-42 behind Matt Nagy and Ricardo Walker running a INT back 100 yds.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

jl1968
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by jl1968 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:48 pm

Would anyone be willing to make and send a copy of the 1993 game against Montana won by UD 49-48 or better yet put it on u-tube

Claw
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:41 pm
UD Class: 1965

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by Claw » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:51 pm

i have alot of ud dvd tapes i would be willing to give away. just call me or e mail me. i live in lewes de. you would have to make the trip.

User avatar
BearHen
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:12 pm

Re: 2020 SEASON ALTERNATIVE

Post by BearHen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:58 pm

I would make you a copy of the Montana game. PM me and I'll mail it to you.
Image

Post Reply